Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Kawasaki Pro Mule FXT EPS LE

I purchased this Pro Mule from the dealership with 4" lift kit and tire kit

A couple days ago I was driving over a hill and as I came back up the other side the frame cross member that holds the shocks failed and broke both shocks.

Has anyone else heard of this or had this issue?

My dealership called Kawasaki USA and they said that it has happened to several with lift kits.

Problem is I have to fabricate a new cross member as the stock frame is weak and will break again.

Anyone give me any help?

Thanks,

J.J.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wheel, tire and lift mods are really popular on ATVs and UTVs. I wonder what the fine print says In the warranty? My guess is if the parts are not Kawasaki you, the dealer and the aftermarket supplier are on your own.

·
Registered
38 Posts
When I first got my Mule, I was driving through a grassy field with 4 people in the vehicle, maybe going about 10 mph. I hit a cinder block and completely destroyed the plastic pos skid gaurd under the vehicle, actually ripped it out of the metal washers holding it on.
I immediately put a lift on the Mule, and it made a world of difference for useability, the mule sits WAY to low for a UTV.
The lift has been the best modification I have done to the Mule, it should of came from the factory like this!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Who makes the front basket?

I have mine lifted as well and the HD springs with factory wheels and tires, so I am very interested in what Kawi and/or the lift maker have to say about it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Here is a picture of the failed part of the frame
That's definitely a weak link. I can see where the lift brought it to light faster but over time a unit with HD springs, or even factory could do the same thing.

I'm sure Kawasaki will blame it on lifts for as long as possible but if factory units start doing it that will be a major PIA to fix.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Frame actually bent.

The frame is only 1/8" thick or less and the aftermarket lift bracket is 1/4" thick or greater wall.

Even the Kawasaki dealer told me bad design and the factor cross member frame is too weak.

If you have a lift on your Pro Mule and do anything besides drive down a paved road you really might want to get this checked out!

Kawasaki won't warranty it because of the lift!

Dealership won't warranty it because Kawasaki won't warranty it.

So I am left to fix it myself.

Kinda bull shit if you ask me since they sold it to me brand new with the lift on it.

Just irritated that I have a $20K mule with accessories and having to dump more money into it at less than 12 months old!

BTW, I also have the heavier duty springs on mine as well.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If the dealership added it it should be honored by the three year warranty just like everything else... I think I'd have a persuasive talk with them if that doesn't work do some persuasive advertising for the dealership letting everyone know of the dealer and dissatisfaction with them backing what they sell.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yup, I've seen a guy at the local Nissan dealer that got a lemon Titan pickup, and couldn't get the folks at the dealer to help him out. He ended up having the dang thing wrapped, and parked that sucker right out in front of the dealer with the vinyl wrap that said "my lemon gets 3.4 MPG!"

Lasted about 4 days, dealer finally gave in and fixed his truck, or so I assume, because I never saw him again.

I'd tell that dealer they need to back up something like that and get it fixed, or at least get you the parts. Then I'd TIG weld up some reinforcements to the shock towers, and go from there.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yup, I've seen a guy at the local Nissan dealer that got a lemon Titan pickup, and couldn't get the folks at the dealer to help him out. He ended up having the dang thing wrapped, and parked that sucker right out in front of the dealer with the vinyl wrap that said "my lemon gets 3.4 MPG!"

Lasted about 4 days, dealer finally gave in and fixed his truck, or so I assume, because I never saw him again.

I'd tell that dealer they need to back up something like that and get it fixed, or at least get you the parts. Then I'd TIG weld up some reinforcements to the shock towers, and go from there.
That's what I threatened my dealer with initially. My clock was messed up and was adding 1 hr run time every 15min. He was very rude and tried to back track when I brought it to his attention. I told him I would rent the building across from his and park it out front with a link to a website. After they fixed it he was kissing my butt and asked if I would have really done that. I told him... not all of it was true... I know the guy across the street and he said I could do it for free... no rent needed. The look on his face was priceless.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had installed a a 2" lift kit myself and verified with the dealer regarding voiding the warranty. The dealer said the lift kit will not void the warranty. Hopefully, I did not get bad info. Maybe I should dble check.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had installed a a 2" lift kit myself and verified with the dealer regarding voiding the warranty. The dealer said the lift kit will not void the warranty. Hopefully, I did not get bad info. Maybe I should dble check.
Please do and report back. Did the OP contact the lift manufacturer and get their opinion on the damage. I have a lift on mine and need to way the risks of leaving it on.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I would get that in writing or it means nothing.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts