Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I installed the highlifter kit. Your dealer installed it incorrectly. The metal bracket is supposed to be mounted on the inside of the frame. I actually installed it that way initially, by mistake. It may impact the strength. Your dealer really should be on the hook two fold for warrant and incorrect instal.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The magnusson-moss act says that you cannot be denied warranty because there is an aftermarket item installed. It's up to the manufacturers representative (i.e. The dealer) to decide if the aftermarket item caused the problem. In this case I would say Kawasaki is off the hook because the lift modified the rear shock mounting point giving more leverage to bend the crossbar. Will it happen to a mule with stock suspension? Time will tell.
However in this case the dealer installed the aftermarket item before the purchase. I think you have a strong case against the dealer to get at least what the factory replacement parts (frame?) would cost. Especially if they installed it incorrectly as someone already posted.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree with Murch, I installed my kit also and the rear bracket was on the inside of the factory U-channel, it was mentioned in the instructions this was critical. The dealer did something very wrong?
I don't see how the factory U-channel could bend rearward like that the way my kit is installed.
Did your lift kit have a front bracket installed also that bolted through the front of the U-channel? From the picture it looks like it did not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well that sucks.....I just bought a '15 mule pro with highlifter kit and low hours. The kit is installed correctly, one bracket on inside of frame and one on outside per highlifter instructions. Just by looking at that frame, it looks pretty weak, especially for a shock mount. Anyone else have issues like this frame failure? I know lots, if not most, of us have a lift on our mules!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think these lift kits should strengthen the mounts when installed correctly. Considering the number of lifts on these machines I have not heard of many failures. That said, I would like to hear if anyone had a failure when the lift was installed correctly.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Would welding in gussets from the frame to the crossmember help resolve the possible problem? I just got a fx and might do this to save some headache

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't think welding anything on the U-Channel cross member is necessary. Just looking at the picture of the failure, nothing on the frame broke, it just bent causing the shocks to break due to a badly installed lift kit.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I don't think welding anything on the U-Channel cross member is necessary. Just looking at the picture of the failure, nothing on the frame broke, it just bent causing the shocks to break due to a badly installed lift kit.
I get the lift wasn't properly installed. I'm just saying throw a couple gussets on it just to give it that much more strength. The crossmember is a 1/8 inch thick. For a side X side or any offroad type vehicle that is way to thin of a material for something that flexes and articulates. Especially for a shock mount

·
Registered
38 Posts
I get the lift wasn't properly installed. I'm just saying throw a couple gussets on it just to give it that much more strength. The crossmember is a 1/8 inch thick. For a side X side or any offroad type vehicle that is way to thin of a material for something that flexes and articulates. Especially for a shock mount
If anyone can show a cross member that has broke, or any welds failed, I would agree gussets would help.
But as you say, these machines are made to flex and articulate, so welding gussets on these crossmembers may just transfer forces some other place they shouldn't be.
I don't agree, 1/8 inch thick is way to thin, just because I have yet to see one fail or break. It's all in the engineering.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well guys, last Saturday I had some engine issues (you can see my other post about them)..

I also have the CATVOS lift on my buggy.. And I assure you it's installed correctly.
well, when my son was strapping it down on the trailer last week (before the engine troubles), he noted that the springs on the rear looked to be "bound up".. I kind of dismissed it as just being very compressed, with the shock pucks that come with the lift kit.

Well, when we lifted the bed, to check out the engine, I noticed that our cross member is severely bent. Not to the point of breakage.. But if I had kept riding, it wouldn't have taken too long to break stuff, similar to the OP's problem here..

Mine is in the shop to have the engine issues fixed.. When I get it back, I'll post some pictures on this thread. But we get to do some fab work now..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well here's what I started out with, I cut out the old cross member. Then built a new one, using 1.5" 11 gauge square tubing. Welded 2 pieces together. Then welded the original shock relocation brackets to that new member. I moved it back from the original location, to have the upper mounts, directly vertical from the lowers. Added some gussets on the ends, that wrap around and under the frame. I don't think this one will bend or come loose. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
I looked at your pictures. That first picture shows a lift kit installed completely improperly. Maybe I am not seeing something but that kit is either a horrible design or you installed it improperly. That kit installed that way would bend any cross member with that geometry. Make sure you properly install the kit after you repair it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I looked at your pictures. That first picture shows a lift kit installed completely improperly. Maybe I am not seeing something but that kit is either a horrible design or you installed it improperly. That kit installed that way would bend any cross member with that geometry. Make sure you properly install the kit after you repair it.
It's not installed wrong. That is exactly how it's suppose to be. We went through this on the mule page on Facebook as well. That is the catvos rear shock relocation bracket. Not to be confused with highlifter or anybody else. The catvos setup has 3 brackets rather then 2. The third bracket extends out the back like that so when you flip your rear a arms your top shock mount lines up correctly.

This pic below is the catvos lift. The set of 3 brackets together is the rear kit. Seeing it will make total sense

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's not installed wrong. That is exactly how it's suppose to be. We went through this on the mule page on Facebook as well. That is the catvos rear shock relocation bracket. Not to be confused with highlifter or anybody else. The catvos setup has 3 brackets rather then 2. The third bracket extends out the back like that so when you flip your rear a arms your top shock mount lines up correctly.

This pic below is the catvos lift. The set of 3 brackets together is the rear kit. Seeing it will make total sense
Like I said, maybe I missed something. That design looks terrible. With the shocks outbound of the cross beam you put excess leverage on that beam. Catvos should be sued for a poor design. It just looks weak in design. I apologize for indicating you installed it incorrectly.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yup, it's a junk design. DTCooper fixed it correctly.
I was looking at his post on facebook and anyone who flips the rear A-arms should either relocate the cross member or brace it to account for the rotational forces.
I'm not sure that you will be able to save your rear shocks though, once they are bent you may snap them if you try to straighten them or they may bind and take out the seals.
Good luck though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just adding another brace to the back side of the shocks, or modifying the rear most cross bar to attach to the frame to take out the rotational forces would fix the problem if it's modified before the damage occurs. Just my 2 cents.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 50 Posts