Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im curious what most do regarding your toys sitting for a few months or more. Not really concerned about long term storage as I use my stuff all year more less. Being anal about things I had been using ethanol free until now as its an hour + drive to get it. I know we have Sta Bil and the other endless products,however my question is to drain the carb bowl(s) or not. I really dont think this is a problem at all on FI vehicles and toys BTW. On carbed stuff I cant help but thinking dried out O rings and gaskets after a short time. Fire away....

·
Super Moderator
5,384 Posts
On my EFI SxS I just start it once a month or so but when I had my Brute and didn't start it every week or so I would drain the bowls. Just sitting the only O-ring that had any gas against it was the lower side of the bowl..which is compressed anyway, and A/F screw and even drained the screw still had some. Worse would be plugged slow or pilot jet and passages from dried fuel residue so..either keep it full by running it every week or so or drain them...IMO :)

·
Registered
770 Posts
i use fitch fuel stabilizer for 20 years now.
have the pellets in the tanks.
old man was a career man in military and the bay guys swore by it.
atvs sit all winter with 1/2 tank of old gas.
batteries removed on tenders.
put in 1/4 tank of fresh gas in spring an no problems.
sleds sit all summer, do the same with them.
for short term i disconnect the battery , weeks.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
i use fitch fuel stabilizer for 20 years now.
have the pellets in the tanks.
old man was a career man in military and the bay guys swore by it.
atvs sit all winter with 1/2 tank of old gas.
batteries removed on tenders.
put in 1/4 tank of fresh gas in spring an no problems.
sleds sit all summer, do the same with them.
for short term i disconnect the battery , weeks.
You dont ride in the winter ?

·
Super Moderator
5,384 Posts
Geez..where do you live? I have 500,000+ acres to ride in and I feel cramped sometimes.
NE Albuquerque. To my knowledge all the national forests are closed to all within this circle..except the Gila which is in stage two..where you are I believe. Maybe I just have to head down your way...lol

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That would be correct on the stage #2. Im told the Gila has never gone to stage 3 from the guys I know who have been many years. AZ did it when we were there in 2019 or 2020. Id hope the rains ease the restrictions in your area so you can get back to some R&R fun. Considering the fires of current I suppose I can understand the restrictions. Glad Im not the one responsible for the two "controlled" burns that got out of control. The Feds need to step up and do the right thing far as loss'es suffered by the burned out locals, we'll all see how that goes.

·
Registered
770 Posts
i ride snowmobiles in the winter.
had a few thundercats. 190hp
then big bore mountian cats 210 hp and 150lbs lighter.
for the last 20 years
now just a "stock" 900 mountian cat a a 2up for the brave enough to ride with me
also still have 81 and 84 lifted full size gmc jimmys

1 - 9 of 9 Posts