Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, New to the Forum but not new to Mules.
I am upgrading from Mule 610 to a FX PRO EPS LE. (2016 new old stock).
Added the full windshield, winch and plow. I really want to add the soft doors as shown in the attached picture, direct from Kawasaki accessory website.
Has anyone seen these doors installed on a PRO FX with the hard top?
The notes in the item description says they only work with the full windshield and the full soft enclosure.
The dealer agrees with me and believes they will work fine but isn't willing to commit. (take them back if there is a problem we can't see)

Any words of wisdom would be great.

Many thanks,

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have only seen them installed with soft rope. I bought fxt with fortress hard top and quadboss flip down windshield and I am afraid that is won’t work with my windshield. I’m not too worried about the top but the windshield is my issue. Good luck. They should show you all the options before they start selling you anything

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ordered the Kawasaki windshield so that should be ok. I expect their issue is with the hard top.

I am also interested in the Forum's wisdom on the Kawasaki extended warentee. As I expect you know the machine comes with a 3 year warentee. The extended adds an additional 3 years for about 300 per year, but it is all up front.
Again, many thanks to all.

Bob

·
Registered
80 Posts
I ordered the Kawasaki windshield so that should be ok. I expect their issue is with the hard top.

I am also interested in the Forum's wisdom on the Kawasaki extended warentee. As I expect you know the machine comes with a 3 year warentee. The extended adds an additional 3 years for about 300 per year, but it is all up front.
Again, many thanks to all.

Bob

My buddy has ext warranty and had to use it & it paid off oerfectly

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reply to side curtins

Well I downloaded the install instructions for the doors and it is clear that the doors do not need the complete soft top to work on the FX PRO EPS LE.
The windshield does make a difference because of hinge mounting and the mounting of the windshield support brackets. I am rolling the dice and ordered the door along with the other options for my new Mule.
I will keep everyone posted on the outcome including pictures.

Thanks for the reply on the extended warrantee question. I don't need to make that decision until the day I take position of the new ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update on side curtins

Well the saga continues.
I appears the options I ordered are back ordered and not expected to be in until mid Sept. I decided to leave the machine with the dealer until all the options are in and installed. he was ok with that but it seems there is a factory rebate the runs out at the end of this month. Soooo I have to go in and pay, "take delivery" before the end of the month or lose the rebate. I searched long and hard to find this machine so this dealer is a solid 2.5 hour drive to get to. I don't own a trailer big enough so I will have to rent one.. The end result of this situation is I will have to drive out to the dealer to pay and do paper work, and still leave the machine there. Then in Sept when everything comes in and gets installed I will rent the trailer and make the last trip to pick it up.

So for this thread there is likely going to be a long wait for the update that describes the results on the doors (side curtains).

Thanks to all for the input. I will continue to monitor this thread for any additional comments.

By the way, the dealer has been great through out this deal. I will be happy to pass along the name to anyone that asks. Dealer location is PA.

Bob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick update.... I paid, did the paper work and left the unit at the dealer until the accessories com in and get installed. (according to plan) The dealer had a nice surprise for me... He gave me about 150.00 of official Kawasaki close and hat. Really nice gesture. it is really a shame he is so far away..

I found another post where the soft top/back were installed with the hard top. The guy said it worked out great and they only had to make a few small holes in the soft top to reattach the hard top. interesting.. as I have some time to think this through we will see.....

Keep the tires on the bottom...;~)

Bob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK.... All the parts are in and I took delivery of my new / old stock 2016 Mule Pro EPS LE yesterday! Yaaaa. The unit is all put perfect. The dealer installed a brand new battery. ( nice touch) The winch, Plow Windshield and "Side curtains" all fit and function perfectly. A primary reason for this post is to inform the world the soft side curtains do not require the full soft enclosure. They function just fine with out it. Keep in mind they do not form a perfect seal and I fully expect they will leak a bit and will be drafty. I never expected the doors to close like a new car. You will be able to sit out in a rain storm and stay reasonably dry. They will keep most of the blowing snow off you and for sure break the wind.
The unit rides better than my 2016 $60k Ford truck over the dirt roads.

Another piece of useful information. If you expect to rent a 6 X 12 utility trailer from UHaul for transporting you new or old Mule Pro don't! The opening in the rear where you would expect to drive your machine up the ramp and onto the trailer is too small!!!!
This info is not published on any of the UHaul specs that I could find. I was lucky and noticed it just as the tech was dropping the trailer on my hitch. I had to regroup and ended up renting a car hauler trailer for the 2.5 hour drive back from the dealer.
Also the car hauler trailer was more than twice the coast of the utility trailer.

The dealer is Sport & Turf in Pottstown PS. Worth the trip for sure. Sales person Chris. Really a very nice and knowledgeable guy.

Now I need to concentrate on logging some serious hours on the beast!

Keep the tires on the bottom,

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
You can buy the extended warranty up till the 3 year expires, so you can wait a couple of years if you decide to. By the way, send me a pm as to what your base price was. I was shopping all over for a 2016, 2017 and ended up getting my 2018 for $200.00 less then my lowest quote for those years. Started calling all the dealers for 100 miles around and asked for the best out the door price w/no AG exception, and told them if the price was right, I would be there the next day w/cash. I hear what you are saying about a trailer, went to pick mine up w/my 5x12 tandem trailer and it would not fit. (lacked 4" in width) Came home, (60 miles) called a friend, sold it, and bought a new trailer the next morning and proceeded back to pick up the Mule.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Bob, I’ve got a pro fxt with a quad boss flip down windshield. Could you send me sone better pictures of you soft doors and where they attach please? Did you get thru dealer or aftermarket. Dealer told me I had to buy complete enclosure & we had dealer install fortress steel top on buggy when we bought it. I too would like to have the doors .

·
Registered
119 Posts
Bob, I’ve got a pro fxt with a quad boss flip down windshield. Could you send me sone better pictures of you soft doors and where they attach please? Did you get thru dealer or aftermarket. Dealer told me I had to buy complete enclosure & we had dealer install fortress steel top on buggy when we bought it. I too would like to have the doors just for those Republicans terrible days to help

Doing my best to figure this one out. But I'll play:

"I too would like to have the doors just for days when it is pouring democrat liberal tears." heh...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reply to side curtins

Hi, No need to purchase the complete soft top. the doors will work just fine without it. The windshield is important. the hinges for the doors clamp around the roll bar and need to have free access to it. There is some leeway but you know Murphy....
I am sure you understand the doors don't seal like a refrigerator. Also they are not attached to the hard doors. I will admit they are a bit of a pain getting in and out as you need to deal with the hard and soft doors separately. I am an engineer by training and it seems to me someone with just a little common sense could have designed a better mouse trap. I will take a few detail pictures and post as soon a I get a chance.

By the way, the Mule is great and I am extremely happy. The doors and windshield keep me dry in heavy rain. nothing is perfect, but they do work. Winter is coming and I expect I will post and update as the weather get a bit cooler.

Bob

·
Registered
247 Posts
Following this thread....I've decided for this winter I'd like a full soft side enclosure and the side 'curtains' is a bit different than what I've so far found. Plus....I already have a Fortress hardtop roof, and the Fortress flipout windshield. Not sure how well Kawaski's offering will fit with those.

In the install pdf, it talks of drilling a hole, for the soft side to pin to the existing door. That makes me think the existing doors, with the soft door would open as one unit? rkkilli...you're implying that is not the case?

Also in the install pdf, it talks of velco strips....yet in the marketing talk about them is they have magnet for keeping the side closed. Not understanding that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reply to side curtins

Hi All,

The pin described in the install instructions are not attached to the hard door. They sits in the holes they ask you to drill in the top of the hard doors. As you can see from the official Kawasaki picture of the side curtains, they swing up and away from the hard door as soon as you open them. I tried to connect the soft doors to the hard doors with a short bungy cord and that does help a bit. Like I said, I expect there is a better mouse trap. ;~) If you will be getting in and out of the machine a lot, I expect you may want to look at another solution.

The Velcro they refer to in the install instructions are used to supplement the hinges and warps around the roll cage along with the hard hinges that are connected to the side curtain frame at the windshield. The placement of the hard hinges and the Velcro straps are the factors the relate to the attachment of the windshield. Can't have the side curtains interfere with the windshield mounting.

When you open the hard door, which you need to do thru the gape between the soft and hard doors, you will need to break the magnetic seal and push out the soft door to gain access to the outside latch of the hard door. If you install the pin that is another thing to deal with every time you need to open things up.

The magnetic latching of the soft door to the roll cage is very strong. The wind will never open the doors.

The clear plastic windows do roll up (really down) and have straps to hold them in the rolled up (down) position. I have tried to roll them up evenly many times and still haven't found the trick. There is only one zipper, so that is limiting. If they had a zipper on both ends of the windows it would be much easier to deal with.

Still this is a reasonable solution to staying dry and a bit warmer. It is clearly not perfect but.... … if frogs had wings, they wouldn't bump their ass every time they jumped.....;~)

Hopes this helps. Please follow up with your solution when you have it all worked out..

Many thanks,
Bob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
5 Participants
rkkilli
Kawasaki ATV Forum
KawieRiders.com is the largest Kawasaki ATV owner's forum with information for the Kawasaki KFX700, Brute Force, Prairie, Bayou, Mojave, Lakota and older model Kawasaki ATV's!
Full Forum Listing