Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any of you fellas had to have sinus surgery?????? i went through it on monday the 21st and all i can say is wow... tsprairie700 had it done in august and raved about it so i took the plunge and done it too... i had been suffering for a few years with severe sinus infections (4-5 a year) and really bad congestion and the doc told me i had a deviated septum as well and bad blockages on both sides... the first 3-4 days have been tough bc of the pressure from the clotting and swelling but yesterday was the first good day ive had and today seems to be even better.(the saline wash is cleaning the blood clots out finally) i can tell a big difference in my breathing and ive noticed i can actually sleep on my stomach now which ive never been able to do before bc of shortness of breath.... i go back on tuesday for him to really clean it out and scrape any leftover stuff out. im hoping that really opens me up even more...... so far so good. :D

·
Premium Member
2,439 Posts
any of you fellas had to have sinus surgery?????? i went through it on monday the 21st and all i can say is wow... tsprairie700 had it done in august and raved about it so i took the plunge and done it too... i had been suffering for a few years with severe sinus infections (4-5 a year) and really bad congestion and the doc told me i had a deviated septum as well and bad blockages on both sides... the first 3-4 days have been tough bc of the pressure from the clotting and swelling but yesterday was the first good day ive had and today seems to be even better.(the saline wash is cleaning the blood clots out finally) i can tell a big difference in my breathing and ive noticed i can actually sleep on my stomach now which ive never been able to do before bc of shortness of breath.... i go back on tuesday for him to really clean it out and scrape any leftover stuff out. im hoping that really opens me up even more...... so far so good. :D

Be careful with sleeping on your stomach:lol:

·
Registered
445 Posts
i had a consult with a ear nose and throat doctor. he told me i needed my turbinates trimmed... the whole 6 month recovery time scared me off... at the time my wife and i had jet skis, the doc told us i couldn't swim during the recovery... i now wish i would have gone through with it...

to keep my sinuses fairly clear i rely on a sinus pot

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it is basically a week recovery but i begged for 2 and the doc gave them to me...:p
after tuesday ill know how ill feel bc he will clean it out good but even right now i can tell a big difference. supposedly i should not have any more sinus complications being my sinus' were only open at like 1cm and they should of been 8cm... he trimmed the bones on both sides, done the balloon procedure and cleaned out my sinus cavities around my nose and opened those airways up... i figured to keep from getting repeated sinus infections ill suffer for a week of nose bleeds and congestion...

·
Super Moderator
12,647 Posts
I know a guy at work that had chronic infections for 30 years. The doctors found that he had one sinus cavity that was blocked from birth. They opened it up so it could drain; he claims he feels like a new man.

·
Registered
99 Posts
had it done about 10 years ago made big difference very painfull pulling the gauze or whatever they put in your nose after the operation.pullingit out

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
thats the benefit of having it done now... modern technology allows them to not have to use any gauze or stints at all.... i had to have a ct scan before they done it and they gave me a little halo thing when they were done and the doctors use it like a map now to travel through your sinus cavities and only take out what they need to so basically they are not going in blind cutting out everything in their path... they are only taking out what is needed... my surgery took 2.5 hours and i was eating right after......

as far as pain... THERE WAS NONE... the only thing you feel is the pressure like you have a severe sinus infection and your stopped up tight... the first 24 hours you can breathe awesome and then the swelling hits and the clotting starts(the swelling is internal and you couldnt even tell i had a surgery after it was done other then the crusty blood around my nostrils lol)... each day you rinse with the saline rinse and the past two days have been awesome bc all the clotting is coming out and opening up my airways and ive been feeling great.... but that is the one thing i noticed... there was no pain at all... they gave me augmenton and percosets and the only reason i used the percosets was to help me sleep at night with the congestion.... and that was only for 2 nights....

tsprairie was a big help on mine bc i was calling him up asking him questions on what to expect and what to look for... he was spot on too... helped we had the same doctor do the surgery but everything he told me was exactly what i experienced....
the worst part about the whole ordeal is you cant blow your nose..... i found myself wishing for one good chance to blow my nose and knew i couldnt...

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
my best friend had it done a few years ago.. one passage was almost completely blocked off, he even sounded different after surgery.. he claims it was well worth it..

·
Registered
1 Posts
did you have regular or traditional surgery? or did you have the balloon sinuplasty surgery? my son is trying to decide between the two. i heard the older kind takes a lot longer to recover from but the balloon treatment is newer so not as much history?

thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts