Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, i have a 99 prairie 400 4x4 and when its in forward gear it will slip out of gear sometimes. It doesn't ever slip out in reverse just forward. What does it sound like to you guys. Think it's just the belt. How hard is it to replace it if it is. Thanks guys...:D

·
Registered
379 Posts
Wait...........

Just wait a while. These guys that know there stuff will get to you.
Sounds like to me its not the belt but probably the shifter linkage needs adjusted. Try to give more info on the history, size, year model, etc. on the machine. This will help on troubleshooting.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree, it sounds like the shifter linkage needs adjusting. The NYROC site has a step by step on the 650 but not the 400. I'm not sure if it's the same but it might help if you take a look at this.
Here is the link: Nyroc's ATV info website

I was having problems with my bike not going all the way into low when it was in 4WD. It wasn't too hard to correct after checking this out.

·
Super Moderator
12,648 Posts
The 400 linkage is totally different.
The first step would be to make sure the linkage is properly adjusted. You may have to look at the service manual to see the correct setting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Today i took the belt housing cover off to look at the belt. I didn't take it off but it appeared to be fine. I found a hose that connects to the back of the housing was completely off the housing. I haven't had a chance to ride it since i put the hose back on, but do you guys think that could have been causing it to slip...Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,648 Posts
Today i took the belt housing cover off to look at the belt. I didn't take it off but it appeared to be fine. I found a hose that connects to the back of the housing was completely off the housing. I haven't had a chance to ride it since i put the hose back on, but do you guys think that could have been causing it to slip...Thanks
It won't have any effect.
If I was you I would try adjusting the shift linkage slightly in one direction; if it gets worse or doesn't help then adjust it in the other direction.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay so i adjusted the linkage and it didn't help any. Where the ball joints of the linkage attach to the two splines on top of the tranny, the back spline wont stay locked in gear. It pops forward and puts it out of gear when i get going. Anybody know what the next step is for getting this thing running. How hard is it to pull these transmission out. Ive never messed with a transmission but i'm thinking about rebuilding it. Any suggestions are very appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
12,648 Posts
There have been very few of these taken apart. You should get the factory service manual; it might show the parts in the tranny that help it stay in gear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there anyway to access the inside of the transmission without taking the whole fourwheeler apart? I think maybe it's a bent fork at this point. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,648 Posts
Is there anyway to access the inside of the transmission without taking the whole fourwheeler apart? I think maybe it's a bent fork at this point. Thanks
I can't tell you for sure. My guess would be that you will pull the motor and split the cases.:(

·
Registered
50 Posts
jumping out of gear

ok if you have your linkage ajusted properly the next thing to check is your motor mounts!!!! this is a very comn probleam with the brutes. motor mount gets lose,when u give it gas motor torques up and puts linkage in a bind and she jumps out of gear!! i know this because it happened with my brute! i didnt know it was lose and it jumped out of gear one day and b4 i could shut it down i blew a hole in my caseing!! you don want to do that!! i recamend checking your mounts every oil change!! ckeck em and let me know if this fixes it!

·
Super Moderator
12,648 Posts
ok if you have your linkage ajusted properly the next thing to check is your motor mounts!!!! this is a very comn probleam with the brutes. motor mount gets lose,when u give it gas motor torques up and puts linkage in a bind and she jumps out of gear!! i know this because it happened with my brute! i didnt know it was lose and it jumped out of gear one day and b4 i could shut it down i blew a hole in my caseing!! you don want to do that!! i recamend checking your mounts every oil change!! ckeck em and let me know if this fixes it!
This is a Prairie 400, a completely different beast.

·
Registered
379 Posts
parts list

Go to Kawasaki.com........punch in your machine and you can see a complete parts list.

I agree with NovaKaw650.......he helped with my brute and was right on.................with the age and maybe lots of miles on your machine the shifter mech may be worn badly. A thought may be to count the cost and trade up to another machine unless you are a good mech and can handle the repair. A service manual would be very helpful.

·
Registered
379 Posts
test.............

Well ..........there is a sure way to know if its the linkage or in the trans............just take the linkage off and turn the mech by hand.......try it for a drive and see if it jumps out.........then you will know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
12,648 Posts
Well ..........there is a sure way to know if its the linkage or in the trans............just take the linkage off and turn the mech by hand.......try it for a drive and see if it jumps out.........then you will know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If I recall correctly, I don't think the '99 400 has any detents in the shifter and linkage system, so Camo Joe is right. Unhook the linkage; if it still pops out of gear, then it's an internal problem. If it doesn't, then look at the shfter and linkage (and motor mounts) again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
High inpute gear & shift select gear

Had the same problem, under any torque my brute would pop out of high range. Reverse & low were fine.****** transmission select gear & high input gear were destroyed. From engine mounts being bad, engine will tweak under high torque, linkage will stay stationary due to notches in selector knob plastic & kick it out of gear. Gears will first weaken & bevel the edges @ a 45 degree angle (supposed to be square to assure lock-in) then will only get worse due to it being worn out & keep popping out of gear untill they are completely destroyed. Recommend fabricating engine mounts &/or replacing them & im 99% sure u will need those gears... Hopefully just the fwd high gear if u catch it in time. (you will need to disassemble engine & if you done do it soon you can scatter trans & crack case $$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!) hopefully i help!!! :d

1 - 20 of 20 Posts