Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep slipping out of low gear when the bike is under heavy load going up big hills has anyone ever had this happen wonder what is wearing out when it slips out of gear it cant be good. Vforce John said check the motor mounts they might be loose or the shift linkage or shift mount ? Its soo bad now that I can give full throttle on flat ground and it slips out of gear this problum only happens in low gear.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Yep..VFJ is right. Mine did it too...rear motor mount bolt had come completely out. Egged the hole pretty good before it came out too. Reinstalled it..tighten it to well over the torque spec and all was good. Others have not been so lucky though. They let it slip out under enough power that it bent a shifter fork in the transmission and had to replace it. Others damaged or rounded the dogs so it continued to slip out even after they fixed the mount.

·
Registered
191 Posts
well tell you what I was there and it was under full power and climbing a steep hill. Popped out and grinded really bad.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep..VFJ is right. Mine did it too...rear motor mount bolt had come completely out. Egged the hole pretty good before it came out too. Reinstalled it..tighten it to well over the torque spec and all was good. Others have not been so lucky though. They let it slip out under enough power that it bent a shifter fork in the transmission and had to replace it. Others damaged or rounded the dogs so it continued to slip out even after they fixed the mount.
I would think mine is bad enough to need repair. Think it happened 4 times now

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have an 08 that’s doing this in high gear. Gotten to a point that it won’t even go in high. Been riding it in low till I have time to split the case on it. Sometimes it will randomly go into high but then give it throttle and it slides into neutral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have an 08 that’s doing this in high gear. Gotten to a point that it won’t even go in high. Been riding it in low till I have time to split the case on it. Sometimes it will randomly go into high but then give it throttle and it slides into neutral.

Im just hoping I didnt damage gears or my trans

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
woulnt ride it much till you get it figured out, better for it if had to if you disconnect the rod from the engine.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Sure sorry to read this Swanny.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sure sorry to read this Swanny.
Yea thanks im really hoping its not to late. Ill find out soon If somthing major is broke its going to be a pricey repair on somthing that dosnt even have a thousand miles on it

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
Start it up, put it reverse, and hit the throttle. Does the reverse light blink or go out? That's a sure sign that the linkage is out of adjustment.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Start it up, put it reverse, and hit the throttle. Does the reverse light blink or go out? That's a sure sign that the linkage is out of adjustment.
yea tried that. looking like the trans gears might be bad was in talks with vforce john

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think my fork is bent or the gears are rounded

·
Registered
58 Posts
If I end up doing mine soon I’ll post up some pics of the issues I find

Ok thanks

Finally got mine apart and found the issue. The c-clip on the upper gear set had become worn out and eventually popped off out of place, IMG_2033.jpg which holds the high gear up against the low gear when assembled if I have the gears indicated correctly. Correct me if I’m wrong by the images. Which is also why I could sometimes get it to go in high intermittently.

I’m also missing a needle bearing that goes between the high and low gears (B) IMG_2044.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I end up doing mine soon I’ll post up some pics of the issues I find

Ok thanks

Finally got mine apart and found the issue. The c-clip on the upper gear set had become worn out and eventually popped off out of place, View attachment 69813 which holds the high gear up against the low gear when assembled if I have the gears indicated correctly. Correct me if I’m wrong by the images. Which is also why I could sometimes get it to go in high intermittently.

I’m also missing a needle bearing that goes between the high and low gears (B) View attachment 69815
Thanks for the reply and the pictures how hard was it to get everything apart ? How long did it take ?

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Wow, that's screwed up. I'll be ripping swanny52's 2017 750 engine out soon as well - Hopefully this weekend. We will post our findings too.
I will also be ripping my 05 750 out as well for piston rings and looking at repairing the cracked side case.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for the reply and the pictures how hard was it to get everything apart ? How long did it take ?[/QUOTE]

Took a total of two days about 3-4hr each day.

It looked like it had been taken apart by the previous owner so everything was pretty painless taking off.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Well here is the damage inside swanny52's engine. Not to bad of a repair.

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Wow. Well least it's not to bad

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
About this Discussion
37 Replies
8 Participants
dman66
Kawasaki ATV Forum
KawieRiders.com is the largest Kawasaki ATV owner's forum with information for the Kawasaki KFX700, Brute Force, Prairie, Bayou, Mojave, Lakota and older model Kawasaki ATV's!
Full Forum Listing