Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just switched over my fuel system to an electric fuel pump to prepare it for the crossover intakes. ( brute force 650 sra) everything seemed to work just fine until we went riding tonite. i was coming down a hill and it was starting to lose power. when we got to the bottom of the hill it completely died. i let the engine cool down for about 25 minutes while my quad was pulled back home. after we let it cool down it started right back up and ran fine. i think the pump overheated and my solution was to replace the stock fuel lines for some thicker ones and wrap the pump and lines in insulation to keep it from getting as hot.

any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
22,490 Posts
You have an electric pump in the tank. Why did you switch it? What year is your atv?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its an 08 model. vforcejohn said that the crossover intakes wouldnt work with the stock fuel pump which is vaccuum operated so i had to go to an electric pump. when i was letting it cool down i would periodically turn the key to "on" and listen to the pump which didnt sound as loud as it did when i first installed it.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I have the Mr. Gasket 3.5 psi electric fuel pump on my 07 650 SRA with crossover intakes and I have yet to have an issue (knock on wood) with it. What fuel pump did you install? where do you have it mounted? Did you follow VFJ's step by step instructions?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
its the same 3.5 psi pump from mr gasket that were used in the instructions and i mounted it in the same place. i put a new one on just to be safe but i havent put the crossover intakes on yet. i followed the instructions down to a T cept for putting the intakes on. you havent had a problem with the pump overheating have you?

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Nope no problem with overheating. Did you replace the check valve (circled in red) with a 1/8th NPT x5/16th hose nipple? if not that could be your problem.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i had that on when i first installed the pump then after a couple of days i replaced it with the hose nipple attachment. the pump looked like it had been used when i bought it so i just put a new one on today. seems to run okay but things like this make you hesitant about modding your quad.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Tell you what. After you get the UPP's installed you'll be happy you did. The performance gain is just unreal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts