Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Brute Force is blowing out thick white smoke, with gas in the oil. I had a friend tell me white smoke was gas burning. I'm currently getting the carb cleaned/ readjusted to fix the gas in the oil problem, but can someone back me up on the theory of the gas in the oil?

·
Premium Member
10,240 Posts
White smoke is coolant. Probably blew a head gasket.

·
Super Moderator
12,616 Posts
Is the oil overfilled now? If so, it will blow oil into the airbox and suck it down the carbs. Extreme amounts of oil burning will have a white appearance.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the oil overfilled now? If so, it will blow oil into the airbox and suck it down the carbs. Extreme amounts of oil burning will have a white appearance.
hey thanks for the reply, thats what the shop said, there was oil in the airbox.. But i have everything straight now, they adjusted the carb, cleaned the muffler, and put in a new air filter. the only bad thing is ive only gotten it to 45 mph when it used to go 60.... they said hey adjusted the carb to where it cranks easy and doesent backfire, but i do miss the speed.. any tips on how to increase the speed? they said it would be a rough ride until the motor got back into the groove..

·
Super Moderator
12,616 Posts
There's still something wrong with it. It shouldn't be any slower. I'd only be guessing at a diagnosis.

·
Super Moderator
9,447 Posts
Any other symptoms right now besides lower top-speed? Top speed loss could be due to several different things...wrong jetting in the carbs (does it stumble at top speeds?), worn out CVT belt (does the belt squeal?), worn out CVT clutches (this was a common problem on the first year model P650, but they changed designs and now its much less common), installing taller/heavier tires, etc.

·
Super Moderator
12,616 Posts
Any other symptoms right now besides lower top-speed? Top speed loss could be due to several different things...wrong jetting in the carbs (does it stumble at top speeds?), worn out CVT belt (does the belt squeal?), worn out CVT clutches (this was a common problem on the first year model P650, but they changed designs and now its much less common), installing taller/heavier tires, etc.
The loss of speed appears to have happened overnight, so that would rule out much of the above.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The loss of speed appears to have happened overnight, so that would rule out much of the above.
The guy I bought it from said he had larger jets in it.. It was just in the shop for the carb and I think they said they rebuilt the carb, but I'm not sure. And yes, i have 27in and 29in Swamplites on it but they've been on it since I bought it, I haven't been able to test it on a clay road, just in a field/ trails. But should a Brute with those tires only be going 45mph?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, I haven't noticed any stumbling, no noises form the belt or anything like that. They said it would be a "rough" ride until it got in its "grove" but one thing I do hear is sort of a pumping noise while riding it, the noise seems to be comeing form the carb, but it only happenes at around 20-30 mph. When the pumping occurs, the fourwheeler seems to slow down until it stops...

·
Super Moderator
12,616 Posts
The guy I bought it from said he had larger jets in it.. It was just in the shop for the carb and I think they said they rebuilt the carb, but I'm not sure. And yes, i have 27in and 29in Swamplites on it but they've been on it since I bought it, I haven't been able to test it on a clay road, just in a field/ trails. But should a Brute with those tires only be going 45mph?
You already said you had it going 60mph with those tires, so yes, it should go faster than 45mph.
Do you really have two different diameter tires front and back? I hope you never drive it in 4wd.

·
Registered
292 Posts
If you ran it much with gas in the oil, you may have damaged the crank bearings. It might be getting ready to seize up. Have you checked your belt deflection? Loose belt will effect top speed too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts