Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snorkled my brute the other day and took it for a quick drive to see how it works, worked fine not as much top end speed but seemed to run ok. Then I pulled a couple wheelies and after that it started poping and lagging at slower speeds maybe 1/4 throttle tops then after riding at speed for a bit it seemed to go away when I slowed down. Tried another wheelie and it came back, and then went away again, any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
12,637 Posts
It's either too rich or too lean. Unfortunately adding snorkles almost always requires rejetting.
Try turning the choke on when it's not running good to see if it makes it better or worse.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Or try covering up part of the snorkel opening to see if it runs any better.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
i had to cover the intake snorked almost half closed to get mine to run ,until i got the right jetting

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright took it out again its somewhat intermittent I tried choking a little didnt help and it didnt take much before it would just quit. covered some of the intake but that seemed to just rob power mostly in the top end. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Sounds like its running rich. what shape is the air filter in?

·
Super Moderator
12,637 Posts
It's rich. You could go 2/3 sizes smaller on the main jets, close the pilot screws some and/or put in smaller pilot jets, but the mid-range will be tougher.
The best bet is to check your snorkle system for restrictions, and maybe increase the size of the tubes.

·
Registered
306 Posts
When I was tuning mine, I went from my stock air filter that I thought was OK to a new k&n and my a/f ratio went up (more lean) by 4 whole points.:eek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took the side panel off to check to see if I could run it a different way and I realized a hose from the carb breather tank to the front carb was pinched almost shut because of the way I remounted it. I straightened it out and took a ride and it seems to be working smoothly now! Does this make sense or just coincidence?

·
Super Moderator
12,637 Posts
If it was the bowl vent line, then it makes lots of sense.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seems to be fixed! Went for a longer ride and none of the same symptoms. Still lacking a bit of top end speed but I can live with that for now! Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One more little problem, when letting off the throttle from a high power setting and it slows down there is sometimes one pop of backfire

1 - 14 of 14 Posts