Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a paririe 4x4 09 with a 2K Warn winch already installed. (Done a lot of work hauling wood and splitter around property this summer - awesome machine.)

I need to install a plow on it for the winter. Fairleads came with the winch install. I am looking into a 50'' Moose which would be perfect for my driveway and walkway.

My question is: What exactly do I need to add up when I am shopping for this? Bit confused about Bottom Mount; the Tubes; etc...

Other than the Plow and the Plow Mount Kit specific to my brand of ATV do I need something else? Read some of the other threads on plows and i would be willing to get the 6' cable and change it for summer not to mess up my steel cable. Just need to get idea of cost so I need to know what I need to buy for sure.

Thanks much

·
Registered
711 Posts
When you order the plow you need the mount for you model , the push frame,and the plow blade.If I were you I would spend the extra money and get an electric lift .It is like a mini winch that mounts to the plow so it comes of with the plow and you don't have to go the bother of changing the cable.Also if you decide to use the quad for something during the winter you still have your winch to use.I have the Cycle Country plow and bought the electric lift and electric angle so you don't have to get off the machine to change angle

·
Registered
123 Posts
Also get the short synthetic line. If you have the regular steel one it will wear prematurely from the 90 degree angle of holding the plow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the help. I have just installed my moose 50 in plow on the prairie and it works fine mechanically. I'll see how it does in the snow soon I hope. Couple other questions if you could help: synthetic rope: I bought the synthetic rope as well but did not switch it yet. They told me it would just hook on the loop of the wire... Of course it's made to go on the drum directly. Do you guys think I can get away hooking the 8 feet of synthetic on the wire directly to the end of the wire anyways? Take the clevis off and come up with a concoction to connect to the loop? Skid Plate: I had to take the skid plate off. There was a rubber damper type of thing between the skid plate and the oil chamber. I think the bottom mount plate is tight enough that I can leave it on there permanently in lieu of the skid plate (it has pretty much the same holes as the skid plate and if anything looks sturdier) but I could not get the rubber thing on there as the thickness of the plate is different from the skid plate. Do you guys think I am OK leaving the bottom mount on there all the time (so instead of the skid plate)? And do you think I really need that rubber part? Blade angle: Also, to change the angle of the blade: is there a mechanical gadget (not the $400 electrical ones)? I'll get on and off the ATV if I have to pay $400. I only will use it for personal plowing so no biggie, but I was thinking if there is a mechanical lever type of thing that connects to that little pin and you can direct it... that I may pay a bit of money for. Thanks much for all the help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Blade angle: Also, to change the angle of the blade: is there a mechanical gadget (not the $400 electrical ones)? I'll get on and off the ATV if I have to pay $400. I only will use it for personal plowing so no biggie, but I was thinking if there is a mechanical lever type of thing that connects to that little pin and you can direct it... that I may pay a bit of money for. Thanks much for all the help.
Cycle Country makes one. I have it. It works pretty good. I found it for $50 online. Here is a link.
Remote Blade Angle Release

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
you have a brute 650 solid rear axle or a 750 brute???? they quit making the prairie a couple years ago... the frame are the same on the solid rear axle's though and the mounting brackets for the winches should be the same but the frame on the 750 brute will be slightly different... confirm what you have before you go shopping..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Let me bump this back to the top....

I have an 07 BF 650 straight axle that I just put a Cycle Country snow plow on. I also have a gorilla winch that seems to lift it ok. Question is....what kind of clearance should I have with the blade fully raised?

Seems to me that it hangs pretty low.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have an 06 SRA with a Warn plow and Gorilla winch and I have about 10 to 12" of clearance. It is definatly alot higher than your pic. Mine covers the headlights when fully raised

1 - 13 of 13 Posts