Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first time i ever took my clutch cover off, greg and i are putting or degree keys in. guy i bought my bike from said i had an o/b, nope . . . he had a polaris white . . .

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Are you sure its not a comet white? Nice spring if it is.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I have the Polaris white in my stock 05 SRA with VFJ stage 3 clutch. grate spring I love it. It's suppose to be just about the same as the EPI almond but I think it's better.

·
Premium Member
10,243 Posts
Are you sure its not a comet white? Nice spring if it is.
I just got one of those off eBay. What should I expect from it as compared to the EPI Almond?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
More stall and more rpm's 300' .

·
Premium Member
16,645 Posts
It's a good 300' spring but might kill your mid to top end depending on the engine.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Why would that be? I always thought once your belt was riding as high as it can the spring is out of play.

·
Premium Member
10,243 Posts
It's a good 300' spring but might kill your mid to top end depending on the engine.
If I were to use it that is what it would be for... drags. I am guessing it probably won't work well at all for trail riding.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
It's just got higher stall and ramps your rpm's up faster. I would not use it for any technical riding for sure.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I run a EPI spacer with both my O/B dalton and Polaris white. I have 0 stall. Can't run the spacer if ou have a VFJ spider moded clutch.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
You want the stall for drags.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
we think its a polaris white because we checked 700v.com, i stay en equal distance from greg,billy, and frank once they get out infront of me. i thought the comet was a black/white.bit was slightly taller than a blue and slightly shorter than an o/b i think.

on top of that my belts loose n slipping some and the bushings are worn. greg rode my bike after we got the key installed and said once we get new bushings and get the belt tension straight itll be much better! theres a very noticeable difference with the 6* key, seems to start a lil easier too. thanks camo n gauge for the pointers on gettin the flywheel off, used a harmonic balancer puller n worked great

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
We pulled the clutch cover off to torque the flywheel back on. And we going to add the 2 bolts to 2 of the weights, and that's when we found the white spring. The lower shift out may be what's causing his low to mid performance issues, since he runs 24" skats in the sand. The lower 140 shift out of the white spring may be better with a 22" inch tire. I really don't know, but Aaron's bike does lose some ground right after launch, so that's why I think his shift out is too early. Anyway, the clutch needs new bushings so we just put it back together for now. He's gonna get the parts needed, then we'll add the bolts to the weights and do some spring changes to see what makes up the mid 300 foot drags.

But the timing key went in without any real problems. I did catch hell putting it back together though. The flywheel magnet kept pulling the flywheel off the crankshaft and into the magneto on the cover before I could completely line up the cover. I fixed the problem by using the sleeve (with the 3 holes), and the crank bolt. Before the cover. To run the flywheel onto the crank just enough that it won't slide off by itself. Then pulled the bolt and sleeve back off for the cover.

The bike feels better on a couple of passes up the street. So we'll see what difference when we get to the sand drags next weeekend.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
How exactly do you use the harmonic balancer to pull the fly wheel? Also if I remember right you have the change the timing as well right?

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
I removed 3 of the 6 allen head bolts. Then used 4 1/4 inch long bolts to get the flywheel off, for the puller. Spoke to Gauge about the prybar method, but I chickened out at the last minute and used my harmonic balance puller. REMEMBER to pur the crank bolt back in b4 using the puller.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
it was easy going with the harmonic balance puller, bolt thread is M8x1.25 so u all know

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
it was easy going with the harmonic balance puller, bolt thread is M8x1.25 so u all know

So did you go home and piss off the neighbors?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lmfao, no had to deal with wifey. thats a tad bit worse. but i took her to buy the stuff she needs to make those wreathes so i can go sell em for her friday on side the highway

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I removed 3 of the 6 allen head bolts. Then used 4 1/4 inch long bolts to get the flywheel off, for the puller. Spoke to Gauge about the prybar method, but I chickened out at the last minute and used my harmonic balance puller. REMEMBER to pur the crank bolt back in b4 using the puller.
Awesome what about timing? Will I need to re-time the engine after the key is in? If so how do I go about doing this. I have a 6* key in my bf 750 but I never re-timed it I just installed it and that's it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts