Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 97 Prairie 400 4x4 the electric start does not work the solenoid only clicks. I replaced the solenoid and it still only clicks and retested it and it is good so something is wrong with the starter I guess. I've got the tank off and the wire to the starter is so tightly weaved in place I don't think it would be worth taking the wire out with the starter so I am just going to take it loose from the starter when I take it out. So now, how do I test the starter to see if it is good or not? I know a shop in the next town that can rebuilt it for a lot less than a new one if it is bad.

·
Super Moderator
4,639 Posts
Well, the problem is either..the starter, a bad connection on a battery cable or solenoid ground...or just a bad battery. With any set of jumper cables you can test the starter by connecting the ground to the battery and the case of the starter. Then the positive to the battery's positive and touch the post where the one cable is connected. Of it rotates freely, without noise and/or the engine turns normally, look elsewhere for your problem. You can use your car's battery. Try both to conform.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'll bet the starter. A friend has a 1994 Bayou 400. Last summer he put a cheap, no warranty starter in it. This month it needs another starter, this time he spent more for one with a 2 year warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the problem is either..the starter, a bad connection on a battery cable or solenoid ground...or just a bad battery. With any set of jumper cables you can test the starter by connecting the ground to the battery and the case of the starter. Then the positive to the battery's positive and touch the post where the one cable is connected. Of it rotates freely, without noise and/or the engine turns normally, look elsewhere for your problem. You can use your car's battery. Try both to conform.
Okay finally got the starter out and the wire disconnected got the jumper cables hooked up, measured 12.39 volts on the cables hooked the ground to the casing and the positive to the terminal and the starter spun and the second time it spun and that was it, nothing changed and it would not spin again time after time nothing so I guess the starter is bad. I might take it over to Autozone and let them check it.

·
Super Moderator
4,639 Posts
Okay finally got the starter out and the wire disconnected got the jumper cables hooked up, measured 12.39 volts on the cables hooked the ground to the casing and the positive to the terminal and the starter spun and the second time it spun and that was it, nothing changed and it would not spin again time after time nothing so I guess the starter is bad. I might take it over to Autozone and let them check it.
You can take them apart, clean them up, clean up the commutator & brushes and grease the bearings. If the windings are OK you can get some more life out of them. Probably just some rusted-up,dryed-out bearings.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I would just buy a new starter. It could be the brushes are at the end of their life. The brushes wear and get shorter, finally not making good contact. It could leave you stranded. That's why I would buy a new starter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would just buy a new starter. It could be the brushes are at the end of their life. The brushes wear and get shorter, finally not making good contact. It could leave you stranded. That's why I would buy a new starter.
All right I took the starter up to Valley Alternators and Starters in Huntington WV and the old fellow is still there but his son is doing most of the work now but the old man did mine while I watched and waited and his son got the proper brushes out for him and in about 10 to 15 minutes he tested it and it was just like new with a new positive bolt and nut too. $35.00 and I was on my way back home about 18 miles or so. I took an alternator to him about ten or more years ago and did not know for sure if he was still alive but he is. Great little business! I've got to clean the gunk out from under where the starter sits because 20 some years of build up needs to go because when I pulled it out it got on the gear and probably do the same thing putting it back in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it all put back together and it works just fine now, the o-ring was in good shape so thanks everyone for your advice!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts