Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, i need some help...here is what I got going on....got an 06 SRA brute...bought it about 8 months ago and it had a slight miss in it, some popping through carbs at low rpms....well the battery was also just about shot, it has just enough juice to crank the bike to get it going, but here lately the battery and the miss has been getting worse....I took the bike to the dealer a few months back to have them check out this miss, a 160 dollar carb clean later :rolleyes:, it still had the miss but it wasnt as bad. Well lately the miss had become so bad that if I got on it hard, the bike would nearly die....a few years ago I had a 400 prairie that developed a miss as the battery became old, but when a new battery was installed, it ran like a champ, well today I replaced the battery in the brute, and while in neutral, if I get on the throttle hard, it revvs out great, with just a slight slight slight miss through the carb, where as before like I said it would almost die....when I ride it tho, and hammer the throttle, it has very poor response and again act like it wants to die before it picks up and takes off..whats the deal here guys? I dont want to take it back to a a dealer for another carb cleaning.

·
Premium Member
16,645 Posts
Check the choke plungers on the carbs,they maybe sticking in the "on" position.

·
Registered
124 Posts
im not really sure but i did read about it on here so just search them

·
Super Moderator
9,448 Posts
Just curious, when is the last time you adjusted the valves? You should probably do that if its been a long time...that can effect how easy/hard it starts.

As far as the low-speed popping thru the carbs...sounds like its too lean. I would suggest you adjust the idle mix screws a little richer and see if that helps. If not, then add 1 shim under each needle jet. That should clear up the popping thru the carbs.

Good luck and happy trails...:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just curious, when is the last time you adjusted the valves? You should probably do that if its been a long time...that can effect how easy/hard it starts.

As far as the low-speed popping thru the carbs...sounds like its too lean. I would suggest you adjust the idle mix screws a little richer and see if that helps. If not, then add 1 shim under each needle jet. That should clear up the popping thru the carbs.

When I took it the dealer, probably 100 miles or less ago, they also checked the valves....now that I have new battery it fires right up...first hit without the choke.

Both slides on the carbs seem to be working fine and in sync with each other...it doesnt run so rough its not ridable, nor does it feel like it down on power. I mean when she finally takes off...she goes...if I get er up to around 6 or 7 mph and then hammer it, she dont even bat an eye....off like a rocket.

·
Registered
375 Posts

When I took it the dealer, probably 100 miles or less ago, they also checked the valves....now that I have new battery it fires right up...first hit without the choke.

Both slides on the carbs seem to be working fine and in sync with each other...it doesnt run so rough its not ridable, nor does it feel like it down on power. I mean when she finally takes off...she goes...if I get er up to around 6 or 7 mph and then hammer it, she dont even bat an eye....off like a rocket.
If it'll start as easy as you said it does WITHOUT the use of the choke when cold...it's rich at idle.....like the others said..possible stuck choke, improper float height, mixture screws too rich.......

·
Registered
874 Posts

Sounds like its going lean when he gaps the throttle from a stop... Pull the choke out when you launch and I bet it takes off like a raped ape.

Going out a little on the mixture screw might help but if that doesn't work you can shim each needle... This should have more fuel coming out as the slides raise and help eliminate the lean miss.

·
Super Moderator
12,654 Posts

Sounds like its going lean when he gaps the throttle from a stop... Pull the choke out when you launch and I bet it takes off like a raped ape.

Going out a little on the mixture screw might help but if that doesn't work you can shim each needle... This should have more fuel coming out as the slides raise and help eliminate the lean miss.
Exactly! :rock:
Find out where the pilot screws are set at, and then try them at 3 and a quarter turns out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts