Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i was gonna do the spark plug mod later on tonight when i pull my plugs to check em out , i have some nice 8mm wires from my old mustang , i was just wondering do i use the old boots the one on the coil and the plug ? or do i use the ones on the wires i have ? cuz i think they are 90's thanx ----jay

·
Registered
68 Posts
use the factory ones from the quad. They are a screw type fit on the wires. Hope this made sense.

·
Super Moderator
12,654 Posts
hey guys i was gonna do the spark plug mod later on tonight when i pull my plugs to check em out , i have some nice 8mm wires from my old mustang , i was just wondering do i use the old boots the one on the coil and the plug ? or do i use the ones on the wires i have ? cuz i think they are 90's thanx ----jay
The spark plug mod is all about the boot. The boot has a resistor; you change the boot to a non-resistor type.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
venforcer sells a kit. atvtrickstuff.com, thats where i got my kit. the wires were too short for my prairie, so i ended up using my stock ones.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so dont even use the 8mm wires i have just use the boot? the first reply i got was wrong then , ? the stock wires will be fine if i just put the boots of the other wires i have on? which end has the resistor the plug or the coil? or both? thanx ---jay

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
the plug cap has the resistor.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok so really thats all that needs to be changed but you can upgrade the size of the wire as long ad its a solid core , ok how could i tell if the wires i have are solid core? if the stock wires are smaller than 8 mm i cant use the boots i have right ?

·
Registered
68 Posts
where do you get the boots that dont have the resistor in them??? Or do you take the resistor out of the boot??? How's this done? I replaced the wire itself with automotive type wire. It still runs about the same, guess Im lucky it runs at all from what evryone's saying on here. Help me understand this more.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
1) Unplug wires from spark plugs....as if you were going to change spark plug.
2) Remove coils from bike...1 bolt from each coil...unplug 2 small wires from coils.
3) Unscrew big plug wires from coils...turn wire counter clockwise while lightly pulling coil away from wire.
4) Remove and save stock coil boot.
5) Throw away stock plug boot and wire.
6) Cut coil end of NEW solid core 7 or 8mm wire off leaving 6-8" of STRAIGHT plug end with boot.
7) Slide old stock coil boot onto cut end of new wire...big end towards cut...silicone spray helps.
8) Screw new wire assembly onto coil... cut end towards coil....once tight, slide coil boot down onto coil for weatherproofing.
9) Repeat for other coil.
10) Reinstall everything in reverse on bike. Black w/yellow stripe= Negative on both coils
10.5) You need to install screw post adapters on your spark plugs ...25 cents or so @ auto supply
11) Start bike.
12) DONE
13) If you forgot to breathe while doing these steps because I didn't say to....breath NOW:huh::lol::rolleyes:

·
Registered
68 Posts
^^^ good explanation for even dumb people, but thats were Im different:huh:. It looks like the plugs are missing something on the plug boot end. They are just threaded ends on them. Im assuming different plugs are to be used. Ones with the adapters for auto type plug wires??? Hint: they screw on the ends of some plugs, others are made on there and arent removable. Is this correct??? Please forgive me, Im stupid:lol:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
when you upgrade to the automotive "snap on" style plug boots, you need different plugs (im sure someone knows what the number is) or there are adapters that screw on the end of the threaded stud that will make it the snap on style. Venforcers kit comes with these adapters.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Anyone know what kind of plug wires I can get a a local parts store to do this mod with? Store choices are autozone, advance, and orileys. I would rather pick them up locally and do this tomorrow if possible.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok , i went to me dealer and asked about the solid core wires , because they are a tractor dealer as well they looked everywhere for me for a kit with some spare wires but couldnt find it , im having trouble finding solid core , im gonna have to go get a kit from crappy tire i think , now i was talking to the mechanic at the stealer and he said it might mess with my cdi have you guys had any problems with this ?

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
No problems at all.
It's a big improvement.
Check your spark stock, you'll see it's mostly yellow with just a hint of blue....weak spark...after the mod it will be all blue with a lil white....strong hot spark.
As far as a kit if your having trouble just get Venforcer's...Go to atvtrickstuff.com it's cheap...from what your spending in time and fuel you could've paid for it already.
I'm sure that's what Kawi engineers intended...CDI protection....but the stockers are pretty tough, and I haven't heard anything tying CDI failure to the Plug Boot Mod.
Ed3

·
Super Moderator
12,654 Posts
ok , i went to me dealer and asked about the solid core wires , because they are a tractor dealer as well they looked everywhere for me for a kit with some spare wires but couldnt find it , im having trouble finding solid core , im gonna have to go get a kit from crappy tire i think , now i was talking to the mechanic at the stealer and he said it might mess with my cdi have you guys had any problems with this ?
If you already have the new boots, just use your stock wires.
The resistor is there to reduce radio and television interference.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
badass i picked up a kit from carquest , (in canada), its there own brand , they are 7mm copper core , straight boots its a four cylinder set it was 15 bux i couldnt belive it and now i have too many lol , im going to do the mod finally tonight , i am bringing it in to my dealer tomarrow apparently there gonna do a recall on the throtle cable , they just have to re torque something i guess , but they are gonna clean my carbs and make sure my chokes arent sticky fro me as well and charge kawasaki the time , my stealer has been pretty good to me lately , have you guys heard of the recall?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lmfao!!!! Go to o'reilly's and tell them u need 2 (they come in pairs) mad plug wire boots. Cut off the stock boot on the PLUG END slide the new boot on, strip(remove the rubber shit) about a 1/4 inch back on the end of the STOCK WIRE, and crimp the new connector onto the wire. Put ur new plugs in, or screw on some caps from a car spark plug, and put all the shit back together. Helps with cold starts and MAYBE a cunt hair's worth of better throttle response( probably wont even notice it).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts