Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought my jetting ran pretty good. Except today I checked the spark plug and its dry carbon covered. The bike is hard to re-start after a stall (Coughing and popping). Where do I look first, second, third....? Thanks:confused:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Whats your elevation?

WHats ur current jetting?

with my 470 build.... at 250ft elevation... im running 55 pilot, needle on 4th flip(middle) and 185 main. (still need abit of tunning on that im sure but I got it in the ball park now)

If im right... depending on your elevation.... you should be around a 45-52 pilot, 160-175 main... and possibly needle on 3rd clip.

Ensure your carb is clean and in operating order...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My pilot is 48, main is 178, 3rd clip and 2 turns on air/fuel screw. Elevation 2000'. I tried turning the air/fuel from 0 to 4 turns at idle, no change.

·
Registered
181 Posts
hmm thats wierd...

Though I am in the same perdicament.. turning my air / fuel screw doesnt make a difference... I still cant figure that one out...

Ur best bet would be to really look over the carb make sure all seals arnt broken and everything is clean....

·
Registered
637 Posts
If you can run your fuel screw all the way in without it dying, then your pilot is to big. Once you get it to bog when running it in and then die just before seated, then your pilot should be dead on and you should be able to set the fuel screw at 2 to 2.5 turns out. I am assuming you both are running the FCR, so check to see if the hot start or block off cap is secure as well as the choke pull. Another thing to look at, IF it was running correctly prior to these issues, then have a look at your valve clearances. It will make it hard to start when warm if they are out of spec.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I dropped the pilot to 45 and when the air/fuel screw seated it died. Just as predicted, thank you. I also dropped the main to 175. I'll have wait until next weekend to run it in the woods. My valves were adjusted to spec by the dealer, last week after a timing chain and manual adjuster were installed. Although there is a ticking; I read that's expected with Hot Cams. To make them quiet, I also read that the valves should be adjusted tighter than spec. So I'll wait and see about that.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I was doing some test runs... and just overloaded my carb ritch and worked my way down..

I had a 62 pilot... but was boggy..

went down to a 52 pilot... n it ran hot on the lean side.. (played with fuel screw n still no changes...

went to a 55 n idles nicely no bog nice power... I can bog out my bike now if its screwed in all the way... though after about 1.5 turns it doesnt make a differwent in idle...
engine just got rebuilt so everything is still in spec...

I def wasnt off with my opinion on jetting on my first post though.... def did give you a good range to work with...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts