Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I broke my 2nd speedometer cable. My bike is a 2001 Prairie 300. Just under 6500kms. Is this a common occurance or should I try to locate the problem?

Thanks,

Pibster

·
Registered
54 Posts
My speedo stopped working on my 300 too. I disconected both ends and hooked a cordless drill to it and spun it awhile. I also noticed that on the end that attaches to the speedometer, the shaft was able to slide down and didn't seem to engage the speedometer very well. At any rate it started working. It was either not turning or was not engaged at the speedometer. I beleive it was the engagment. Try disconnecting at the speedo, pulling the shaft out a little and reconnecting.

I reread your post and realized you said the cable broke. if you say it broke because the speedo stopped working try what I said above. If the cable is broke in two, ahhh never mind :huh:

·
Premium Member
5,984 Posts
We have a 2001 - 300 Prairie, that has been through he!! & back, & never had a speedo problem... perhaps a cable adjustment is in order ???

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both cables have broken the tip off where it connects to the rear differential. You cannot replace the tip, you must replace the cable. I thought that there might be something in the rear end causing it to break.

Pibster

·
Registered
1 Posts
The same thing has happened on my 01. Speaking of, does anyone have the link for a good speedometer cable replacement?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts