Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i hear alot of talk about colored spring and secondary springs etc.
here is what i see alot-EPI Pink Primary & Maroon Secondary Springs, stuff like this----what are these
THANKS!​

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
The springs in the primary and secondary clutches. You can change springs to change the clutch set for better launching, top end, tire size or type. It's similar to changing sprockets on a manual bike.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oo ok thanks alot!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have 27" tires with 12" wheels, cdi, k&n, hmf, 2" lift... my top speed is 67mph and i do alot of mudding and road riding. i would like it to have more top speed and more mudding power. which springs should i get?

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
In most cases, to pick up the low end power for the mud, you have to run a stiffer secondary spring. Which in that case, you will sacrifice some top end mph. I believe this is how it works. Somebody please correct me if I am mistaken.

·
Registered
69 Posts
In most cases, to pick up the low end power for the mud, you have to run a stiffer secondary spring. Which in that case, you will sacrifice some top end mph. I believe this is how it works. Somebody please correct me if I am mistaken.

wrong,,, you would need a primary spring to regain your lost low end from the bigger tires, with 27in tires a pink epi primary spring would bring you back to what your quad was with the stock tires on it and wouldnt make you have more stall speed (higher reving before you move) I run a pink epi primary with 27in itp xtr's and it makes it like I have the stock tires on it when taking off, if you really wanted to launch off then go to a maroon spring, but you will have a higher stall speed

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts

wrong,,, you would need a primary spring to regain your lost low end from the bigger tires, with 27in tires a pink epi primary spring would bring you back to what your quad was with the stock tires on it and wouldnt make you have more stall speed (higher reving before you move) I run a pink epi primary with 27in itp xtr's and it makes it like I have the stock tires on it when taking off, if you really wanted to launch off then go to a maroon spring, but you will have a higher stall speed
I think shumate meant that changing the secondary spring corrects the gearing lost to taller tires.

Now I dont know if your bike is a 750 or 650i but the tires you mention are heavy 34.6 lbs for rear and 28 lbs for front in 12" sizes so I find it hard to believe the pink would make it behave like it had stk tires on it.......when my 650 was stock motor and clutch I put the 25" Artrax tires on it which are heavy for 25" but lighter than your xtr's and they killed the power so I added the maroon spring and it made it better but nothing like it was with the stk tires on it......the closest I could get it back to stk feeling without playing with weights was to add an almond secondary(which just lowered my gearing). I do agree that the right way to gain back lost power is through pri springs and weights but to correct gearing changes from taller tires is through the secondary.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I ran the maroon spring with my stock clutch and noticed very little to no increase in stall speed. Now with my VFJ stage 3 with the spidermod, I have a very noticeable increase in stall but John told me that the increase in stall is attributed to the spidermod and not the maroon spring.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i do have a 750, reason i want to change springs and not get a new clutch by vfj, is simply becuase of money. it seems to be easier, faster and cheaper just to change springs. so i need a Pink primary? if so then what about secondary?

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
Ok well the 750 secondary spring is pretty good and will prob be ok for your tires so yeah I would try a pri spring first as they are easy to change out.....try pink, maroon or one of vfj's springs. The maroon only stalls about 200 rpm higher than stock so if you ride mud its prob not gunna worry you but clutching is very personal and what I like you may not so just experiment and make notes.....pri springs are only like $20-25.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Honestly, the best thing that you could do is contact VForce John at Interstate Motorsports. He knows all that there is to know about these machines and their clutches. He even has is own primary and secondary springs in a wide variety of different ranges. Tell him your set up and exactly what you want it to do and he will set you up with what you need and take the time to explain it to you.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ive talked to him before and it looks like ill be talking to him again. just trying to make my friends look stupid ya know?

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I agree with kawboy on two points. One is that the maroon spring has honestly no noticeable stall above stock and the second is that clutching is a very personal thing that takes a lot of testing and changing springs. Trial and error!!:lol:

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Thanks but I dont need any help looking stupid. I can take care of that myself!! :huh::lol:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
what tools will i need, and how long does it usually take to change the springs and how many springs are there... as you can tell i have no idea about the clutches! i know everything but this.

·
Registered
155 Posts
LMFAO! :lol::lol::lol: Dude, come back when you learn even a little about clutching.

Try running 30" tires with ANY primary spring and a stock secondary. In mud the belt life will be measured in seconds. Now run a stock primary and a red secondary. It won't have the initial hit, but it will hold the power where it needs to be without burning the belt. You compensate for the the gearing change from larger tires with the secondary.

Larger tires is like starting off in second (or third, or forth) gear on a car. Changing only the primary is like reving the car engine higher before dumping the clutch. It covers up the problem instead of fixing it. What really happens is the belt is allowed to sink down into the secondary too soon, changing the drive ratio. A stiffer spring keeps the sheaves closed and the belt higher for more torque.

It is impossible to get back stock power and speed without mods. A larger tire is heavier and takes more power to spin. Springs don't give you more power, you trade speed for torque. The only ways to overcome the loss is to increase the HP (motor mods) or the efficiency (clutch machining).

·
Registered
155 Posts
i do have a 750, reason i want to change springs and not get a new clutch by vfj, is simply becuase of money. it seems to be easier, faster and cheaper just to change springs. so i need a Pink primary? if so then what about secondary?
Well I'm in the minority here by not being a member of the vfj fan club. Nothing wrong with his work, I just have never found a need for it.

Choose either top speed or more power for the mud. You can't have both.
A pink primary will give you a slightly better launch but do absolutely nothing for your top end or power in the mud. An almond secondary would be perfect for 27's but takes a few mph off the top. A pink or maroon primary and a almond secondary would be the ideal combo for trail/mud. Think about how much time you spend on the high side of 60 as opposed to trail speeds.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts