Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a ton of research on the vfj stage 3. Talked to John and got some good info. I'm getting ready to pull my clutches to send them out, but wanted to hear some real world results from guys who trail ride with 26 or 27s who had the stage 3 done. Most threads are really old and guys run big tires. Mines a 2020 with 26" BH 2.0. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,362 Posts
Just going to toss-in, from what I know about VFJ's stage-3 clutch mod, I don't think that's what you want for a stock trail machine with 26/27" tires. The 2012s+ have a revised clutch already that is good for up to 28s as is. Unless you are mud drag racing, I would do much more research before doing anything with those. Might regret it...and after the mods are done, there's no going back other then buy new....and they aren't cheap.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your definitely correct, that's my worry. I hear it's only for drag racing, but then I'll read guys gained low and mid range snap and gained 5mph on the top end.

·
Super Moderator
4,362 Posts
Your definitely correct, that's my worry. I hear it's only for drag racing, but then I'll read guys gained low and mid range snap and gained 5mph on the top end.
But the stall alone would makes it impossible to ride on any slower, technical trails. Let alone the high RPM engagement/operations. I think you would end up with a machine impossible to ride most trails with.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've read the stall can be changed if needed. But yeah I def wish I could try a brute out with it:) There another company called From the Ground Up who basically have the same clutch mod and a few guys have done and gotten great gains. One guy running 27's gained 8mph up to 74 and the thing wheelies when he pins it at 20mph, so that has me interested for sure.

·
Registered
834 Posts
But the stall alone would makes it impossible to ride on any slower, technical trails. Let alone the high RPM engagement/operations. I think you would end up with a machine impossible to ride most trails with.
Thats not true I have it and do rock crawling with no issues. The stall isnt that big of a deal. You get used to it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I’m running a stage 3 with 26” Grim Reapers and a stage 2 on the wife’s P650 with 27” XTR’s. Stall is minimal with the 1/1 spring setup (Im currently using EPI pink primary and black secondary in my stage 3 as that’s what I had in my stock clutch, and will be swapping for the VFJ 1/1 setup soon as that’s what I have in the stage 2 on the other bike and like its response better). It is still easy on the technical stuff and trail riding. I thought I wouldn’t like it but I actually don’t mind it at all. Once you’re moving and the clutches are engaged, it is instant response.

·
Registered
834 Posts
if you get full exhaust and the clutch and a tuner it's going to be a totally different machine.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thanks NCbrute! So overall do you feel like you gained more snap and a little more top end?
Never really get much of a chance to push top speed and haven’t since I installed the clutch. I’ll preface by saying that my bike is a 08 BF650 solid axle and had an ok clutch before but was starting to show some wear. It pulls about the same (maybe a bit snappier) with the stage 3 and 26’s as it did with stock clutch and 25’s in low end and mid range. The stage 2 made a big difference on the wife’s bike with the 27’s.

Neither of our clutches have the spider mod. Not needed for how we ride and the setup on our bikes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts