Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am having some trouble getting my kfx400 started in the very cold temperatures. it usually starts right away for a few seconds then dies and has trouble starting up again. what is the best method for starting in freezing temperatures

·
Registered
637 Posts
Keep a battery tender handy, Its gonna need to be choked and some have even gone so far as putting an heater blowing toward there bike to warm it a bit. Dont really see this issue alot my way but occasionally i give it a quick shot of starting fluid.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
How cold are you talking about

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
im in eatern CT. right now the temperatures are probably around mid twenties and below.

Who the hell would wanna ride when it's that dam cold out :p.
:lol: The coldest i have ridden was never below 35 and my 03 z400 that I had back then never had any problems starting but it was all stock.

Thats just to cold for me to be riding.

·
Registered
80 Posts
lol in winter times i just throw my quad next to a propane heater in garage or if i had it in the trailer and let it get warm around it :DD always worked for me

·
Registered
176 Posts
When I take mine up in northern Mi in the winter, I throw a tarp over the quad and use a Mr Heater to warm it up a bit. The other thing is to make sure your valves are dead on. At home I keep a Battery Tender Jr on it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
problem solved. had the battery charged...had it rejetted and had the valves adjusted and its running prime

·
Registered
48 Posts
maybe i will try that as well im in Canada its cold! and i been using the heater method 2 minutes blowing on the carb and she fries and teh choke unseizes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts