Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We put together a new Teryx with our std bore to make some video's spanking XP's (and hopefully Mavericks)
Thought I would post on here as well.

Well we finally have the new Teryx on the dyno with the std bore kit. Making 120HP (actually 119.8HP) on pumpgas.
With stock throttle bodies, plenum and airbox it made average runs of 106HP. Best runs of 108.7HP and lowest of 104.6HP, very inconsistent with the stock plenum.
Changed to our 39mm throttle bodies still with stock plenum and airbox and made 110-112HP. More consistent but only an average gain of 5HP.
Then removed lid from air box, best runs of 109HP and very inconsistent, lowest runs of 103HP.
Next was open stock velocity stacks, no plenum or air box at all, consistent runs of 118HP+, best of 119.8HP.
Now we have to test some more of our velocity stacks to see if we can improve those numbers or at least maintain with our full plenum.
Ray

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now for an update: We tested the different velocity stacks/transitions we made for the 39mm throttle bodies today and none made more power then the stock open velocity stacks. The design that I thought would be best was more consistent but didn't make any more power or even match the best runs of 119.8HP that we had with the stock but they did do 4 back to back runs of 119.2HP were as the stock were up and down a couple HP.
We figured out what was too big and what was too small so all we can hope for now is that we can hold that 119HP when the full plenum is welded up. We won't have one welded until next week.
For the video's this weekend, the best I can do is go back to the stock plenum, race fuel and hotter mapping and hope to come close to the 119HP that we should be able to get with our plenum on pump gas with safe mapping.
So that's what I'll do in the morning as well as machine the clutch and put it together enough to run. If it's not too late in the afternoon, I'll run over to the Dalton test track and get a couple video's to hold you guys until I come back from the beach/track on Monday.
We know the speeds and times from XP's, Mavericks ect on the Dalton track up to 400ft so we'll know if we have enough for Mav's from that.
Ray

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't worry about the 900xp or Maverick. Worry about the Xp1000, 82-84 mph STOCK running 29.5 inch tires.
Ya we're gona need a little more then a std bore with throttle bodies and a plenum for that one, LOL.
With the setup we have in this rex, even with +1" tires we'll still only get 75-77MPH top speed on radar. to gain that much MPH to stay a head of a 1000 will require gearing, then with the MUCH less CVT ratio split of the Kawy compared to the Popo, probably even more HP to not suffer out of the hole.
Ray

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a couple video's from last night, just got it off the dyno and out for a few minutes before dark. Haven't fine tuned the clutching, nor the bottom end mapping and still have the stock plenum on it at 110HP.

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a couple more video's we did today at our track. The longest runs, from start to stop, gravel to tall grass is just over 1/4 mile. Longest on the gas was 800 and 900 ft as from around 70MPH back to zero takes a few hundred feet of wheel hopping.
I forgot to take a radar, stands for the timers and weight kit for the clutch so it is clutched way light. With the stock plenum on there power falls off after 8500 RPM and with the Dalton clutch setup I have in there it comes out at 8300-8400 and gets to 8700 pretty quick and then over 9000RPM by 200ft out so we're giving up a fair bit. I have the clutch setup that will work with the plenum that does make power up to 9500 RPM in there.
The tire size puts the speedo pretty well right on. Didn't have the radar gun but my son drove my truck and we did a few side by side runs and he was at 50-52 and I was at 50-51 beside him.
Top speed was 67-68MPH (which is 77+MPH on an older Teryx speedo with new stock tires)
I have almost double the over drive machined into the clutches that you get with an over drive cover and the secondary is machined to let the belt go lower in it but we're still bottoming the belt out in the secondary as you can here in the longer runs in both of these video's when I hold it past 800 feet. Engine RPM is at 9100-9200 and when the belt bottoms it goes to the rev limiter. So a little more secondary machining is in order.

There are high range and low range runs, 250ft, 300ft, 660ft and 800-900 ft. Top speed in low range is 52MPH (would be 58-59MPH on speedo with older Teryx and new stock tires)

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I got one that wants to play..... But you'll need another 100 hp (at the tires)

LOL, ya a little boost is a wonderful thing. How much boost are you running there? How much boost can you run on the stock motors in the Popo's? Is that a 900 or 1000?
Ray

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a low comp billet cyl 975 with 17 psi. 19 psi maxxes out the FI system and he needs a stronger pump or larger injectors.

in your vids, what year is that teryx? a 2012 or 13?
Cool, ya even if it has stock cam, 17 psi would be 185HP + at the crank so she'll need some fuel flow and pressure. I'm assuming it has cams also though from the rwhp ?
It's a 2013 Rex.
Ray

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
It was cammed as well. carillos, 9:1 CP's, o-ringed with copper gasket and web cams. With race gas, larger pump, and injectors. Plus a better boost controller it is capable of 200 rwhp range at 22-23 psi larger turbo and 20 PSI is about 225 rwhp

as is, they were saying it should have made 145 rwhp. it made well over that even to 70 mph. fastest sxs I have ever been in I'll tell you that!!

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was cammed as well. carillos, 9:1 CP's, o-ringed with copper gasket and web cams. With race gas, larger pump, and injectors. Plus a better boost controller it is capable of 200 rwhp range at 22-23 psi larger turbo and 20 PSI is about 225 rwhp

as is, they were saying it should have made 145 rwhp. it made well over that even to 70 mph. fastest sxs I have ever been in I'll tell you that!!
Ya I'll bet it's pretty sassy!!, LOL
I seen a video of a turbo XP having to lift to keep from flipping over awhile ago with paddles in the dunes, LOL.

What did you mean to type, you said 200 RWHP at 22-23psi and then 20psi would be 225 RWHP, did you mean 27-28psi?
What Turbo was on it? Any idea what the actual engine HP is?

Ya a lot of shops just use inertia chassis dyno's and if they have one that is suited for 50-100 HP stuff it will be WAY to lite for boosted stuff and they just blast through and never really load the motor so it's shows much lower numbers. Your dyno is probably adding more load so you see the higher HP.
For chassis dynoing Turbo's, you need a BIG inertia or a load controlled dyno.
Ray

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts

I seen a video of a turbo XP having to lift to keep from flipping over awhile ago with paddles in the dunes, LOL.

What did you mean to type, you said 200 RWHP at 22-23psi and then 20psi would be 225 RWHP, did you mean 27-28psi?

Ya a lot of shops just use inertia chassis dyno's and if they have one that is suited for 50-100 HP stuff it will be WAY to lite for boosted stuff and they just blast through and never really load the motor so it's shows much lower numbers. Your dyno is probably adding more load so you see the higher HP.
Ray

that turbo was a borg warner unit Size of a small coffee can. Making more power with less boost would be converting to higher boost and a Mitsubishi turbo which is much larger and has more lag.

watch the dyno. The puff at the end is the wastegate dumping off raw fuel from the injectors in the Plenum. Not the best place for a BOV.

Here is a dyno vid from someone using the small rollers, They don't work very well like you said and you can't load the CVT enough to get it to spool fast enough. But, they still show similar #'s to what I saw here on 9 psi we saw 108 rwhp. But it is a low comp motor vs a high compression stock motor in this vid here.

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Ray

that turbo was a borg warner unit Size of a small coffee can. Making more power with less boost would be converting to higher boost and a Mitsubishi turbo which is much larger and has more lag.

watch the dyno. The puff at the end is the wastegate dumping off raw fuel from the injectors in the Plenum. Not the best place for a BOV.

Here is a dyno vid from someone using the small rollers, They don't work very well like you said and you can't load the CVT enough to get it to spool fast enough. But, they still show similar #'s to what I saw here on 9 psi we saw 108 rwhp. But it is a low comp motor vs a high compression stock motor in this vid here.

Ya it must be tinny if they see that much gain in HP with lower boost buy going to a bigger turbo as the only way that is possible is if the exhaust side is WAY to small. If the little Turbo will make 22+ PSI on a 950+cc motor then probably just a bigger turbine side would net close to the same gains as a bigger turbo without the extra lag and drop EGT's way down as well.
It's hard to beat the mitso Turbos though, we used to use a lot of 16L's as they spool fast and will make 350HP.
I would expect if both motors were low compression, you would see more of a difference as well as the higher the boost the more difference you would see from a lite dyno to a heavier one.
Ray

·
Registered
152 Posts
Geezzz those are some impressive numbers for sure. With the super high HP, what is the expected life with those motors?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Geezzz those are some impressive numbers for sure. With the super high HP, what is the expected life with those motors?
With that kind of added stress on the internals you wouldn't think they'd last as long but I'm betting it also has to do with how the motors built, maintained and ran.

·
Registered
152 Posts
With that kind of added stress on the internals you wouldn't think they'd last as long but I'm betting it also has to do with how the motors built, maintained and ran.
Very true. I'm hard on engines as I spend a lot of time out at Glamis. Now I have LT, so with more engine, I'm sure I would be WO a lot of the time. I would still want to rock crawl too, so not going extreme with my T4..... just close :cheers:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts