Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got 2 letters today from Kaw notifying me of recalls. One is being discussed here already; something about a frozen vent, and also an issue with debris getting on the exhaust manifold.
The second is about a potential issue with wear on the steering shaft. The recall repair is to replace this shaft. Applies to 2015-2020 Mule Pro-FX, -FXR, -FXT, and 2016-2020 -DX and -DXT machines.

Anyone know any more about the steering shaft recall? The recall also warns not to use the Mule until repaired.

My Mule is at my cabin and is a real pain to get to the dealer, but having the steering shaft fail while tooling along a mountain road next to a steep drop-off might ruin my day.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Called a Kawasaki dealer today and was told that they were aware of the recall but parts come from China and they do not know when to expect availability. "Call back in two weeks."
Recall states that Mule should not be operated until after recall repair is complete. Great CYA.
I looked in my service manual to see what is involved and it looks like access to remove the steering shaft will require removal of the hood and control panel which is basically the windshield, dash and hood. Mine is accessorized with a full cab, extra lights and wiring, etc. and the dealer is no-doubt going to have extra work. In fact, I'm not sure I want anyone else touching it. I did the all of the work including custom wiring for turn signals and other farkles that will have to be messed with to follow the factory instructions. I'm thinking I will inspect the shaft myself and when parts are available, buy and install them myself.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I bet some of us have over a year wait.
So those that financed their machines, is Kawasaki going to waive your payments until your machines are fixed?
Not supposed to use them and we all paid to use these things. I'd be pissed if I had payments and couldn't ride.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I put on the power steering kit on my 2019 Pro-FX (which replaces the steering box and shaft), It's not that hard to do an inspection, and if need be, replace the shaft with the updated part.
To each his own (including time and ability), PIA to trailer it to the dealer and be out of service.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My dealer must be shut down.

No answer of course.
Not shut down. Dealer is in West Virginia and is open. I like the dealership and just bought a Kawasaki bike from them. The nice lady in the service department was frustrated that the recalls were sent out without parts availability.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put on the power steering kit on my 2019 Pro-FX (which replaces the steering box and shaft), It's not that hard to do an inspection, and if need be, replace the shaft with the updated part.
To each his own (including time and ability), PIA to trailer it to the dealer and be out of service.
How much stuff did you need to remove to get the shaft out? I'm hoping to not have to tear the entire front of the Mule apart. Mine is 5 hours away so I can't look at it now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
How much stuff did you need to remove to get the shaft out? I'm hoping to not have to tear the entire front of the Mule apart. Mine is 5 hours away so I can't look at it now.
Let me take a look at it tonight/tomorrow. The power steering job meant remove dash plastics and front end plastic, plus other crap to run the wires, I put in a tilt column at the same time.
I'll take a look under there with a flashlight

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found this just now: "A gap may develop between the serrations on the steering shaft on the steering gear. If a gap develops this may lead to gradual loss of steering."
I guess I'll look for wear at the point where the steering shaft attaches to the steering gear assy. I have EPS so there's a motor or something there as well so I'll just check all the splined shaft connections.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Found this just now: "A gap may develop between the serrations on the steering shaft on the steering gear. If a gap develops this may lead to gradual loss of steering."
I guess I'll look for wear at the point where the steering shaft attaches to the steering gear assy. I have EPS so there's a motor or something there as well so I'll just check all the splined shaft connections.
The motor is right under the steering wheel.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Here in Kentucky it looks like our 4 wheel fun shops are nonessential and were forced to close due to the virus.

·
Registered
38 Posts
NWPATim / Others

I crawled under mine this am.

If you look under the steering wheel (at your knees), you'll see one end of the shaft. Very easy to loosen/tighten.
Crawl underneath with a flashlight and you'll see the other end, you can get a box wrench on it to loosen/tighten, but it's a little tight in there.

You could replace this part in about 15 minutes. (or just inspect/tighten for now)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NWPATim / Others

I crawled under mine this am.

If you look under the steering wheel (at your knees), you'll see one end of the shaft. Very easy to loosen/tighten.
Crawl underneath with a flashlight and you'll see the other end, you can get a box wrench on it to loosen/tighten, but it's a little tight in there.

You could replace this part in about 15 minutes. (or just inspect/tighten for now)
Thanks.
I checked my steering shaft at both ends and can't see any evidence of problems. I got a wrench on the bottom clamp and it was already tight. Would like to know what happened to cause the recall.

·
Registered
86 Posts
has anyone got the recall done? My dealer saids 3 to 6 months for part till then my machine is to be a paper weight

·
Registered
109 Posts
has anyone got the recall done? My dealer saids 3 to 6 months for part till then my machine is to be a paper weight
It's a shame like, I posted earlier, that a lot of people are making monthly payments for something they are not supposed to use.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anyone have new info on this yet? I called the dealer last week and was told they are still waiting for the part.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Turn around on new machines seems to be 2 weeks or less.
You can call the customer hotline at 866-802-9381 and give them your VIN to get a timeline.

I have heard they are helpful.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My dealer said they have my engine recall part but still waiting on the steering part. I am holding off until they have them all before I take it in. No idea how long it'll be.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My dealer said they have my engine recall part but still waiting on the steering part. I am holding off until they have them all before I take it in. No idea how long it'll be.
Yes I took my Mule in back in March for these recalls. They are finished with all except the steering recall. They are still waiting on the parts. They
keep saying it is Kawasaki and not them. I was like wtf why would you take the bike and not have the parts to fix it? They will also not release it to me becausae of
liability issues. They have no time table on when the part will be available. I told them that we have a 300 acre farm with beef cattle and sheep and rely on this machine all the time and it is BS. The guy said he was going to contact kawasaki today and see if they could release it back to me and I could bring it back when the
part comes in. Why in the hell would these fools take invatory on a machine they cant fix. To all of those reading this DO NOT I repeat DO NOT bring in your machine
until they have the part. I would even ask for a picture for proof.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts