Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does a steering stablizer do and how does it help the ride ?

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
buy one there a big must have expensive ones are orsm but ive got a pep stick type on my 3 V,s and there real good, i find they keep it straiter and no bars getting ripped from ur hands in the ruff stuff

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I was a nonbeliever at first. Then I got one and noticed how much of a difference when one tire hits a rock and instead of it turning very fast to the right and jerking out of your hand that it actually on jerked a little and the handle bars stayed in my hands...

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
I have an SRP stick type that I got from Magic Racing and I like it a lot. Just make sure that if you get a stick type, get a rebuildable one so that you can change out the oil in it for thick oil right away. Mine didn't really do a whole lot even on the stiffest setting with the original oil in it. They come with only 5w or 10w oil which is very thin. I saw some posts of Venforcer and Andycyprus suggested switching the oil to the same oil used in the differential (30w?) and that made it a LOT better. I have been running it on the 2nd to stiffest setting so I could probably even use a heavier oil yet.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx for the reply's. I have been trying to figure out the problem with my wifes quad for a while now. The steering is very light . When she is in the sand and a tire catches something the handlebars can go all the way to the right or left quickly and cause her to flip. She doesn't have alot of upper body strength to keep it from doing that. Will a stablizer fix that ?

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
It will help a lot. Another thing that will help is to change the tie rod ends to the heavy duty ones for a 400EX. I have them on my green V and even without the steering stabilizer the steering felt a lot tighter. I would try the rebuildable stabilizer first before doing the tie rod ends.

·
Registered
176 Posts
got to get one to! i hit a rock and now my rist hurts! wheres the best place to buy one?

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
This is the one I bought. SRP doesn't make one specifically for the KFX700. The only issue is the clamp for the steering shaft will have to be filed down so that it clamps tighter. The LTZ400 & KFX400 must have a slightly larger diameter steering shaft.

It works the best with thicker oil in it.

SRP Muscle 2 Steering Stabilizer - LTZ400 / KFX400 / DVX400

·
Registered
176 Posts
i found the one you gave me a link to its 100.00!!!!!!!!!!!! not bad so do u like it or would u get somthing different? cause im bout to sign in with them and purchase it! thanks

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
i found the one you gave me a link to its 100.00!!!!!!!!!!!! not bad so do u like it or would u get somthing different? cause im bout to sign in with them and purchase it! thanks
Yup! That's what mine cost too.
Yes, I like it. It just needs to have the oil drained out and 30w or thicker oil installed to make it work the best.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The KFX700 has a built in stabilzer. The stock tie rods. They cost less than 10 bucks. So keep a few spares and ride.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts