Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello again all, I've been fooling around on the bike these last couple days, figuring out what else needs to be done, to get it 100%.
The motor itself seems almost spot on, except for an intermittent popping back thru the carbs. It seems most prevalant when not completetly warmed up, and only between aprox. 1500-3000 rpm. I think this may be a low quality fuel problem, as I just dumped some in from my 5 gallon can for my mower which is regular grade, or 87 octane. The fuel light is on now so I'll fill a can with Super; 93 octane, and see if it improves before I go messing with the carbs.
My first priority however is the throttle cable, as the flexible tube is broken where it connects to the hardline 90* bend down by the carbs. It doesn't self return all the way to idle, and today, stuck @ part throttle while I was trying to brake, going around a corner. I hi-sided, turned the bike over, flew 10 feet into and thru the air, and hit the ground hard on my shoulder and head....of course I was "only taking it for a spin" so I didn't have my helmet on.:eek:
I'll be O.K. but I'm done riding it, until I get a new throttle cable. What throttle cable do you guys like? Do you run the stocker, or an aftermarket like Pro-Motion?
Thanks Ed3

·
Premium Member
10,243 Posts
l would just get a stocker. It can still be used if you ever switch to a Honda throttle.

Also, the popping through the carbs before warm-up is normal. Both of mine do it until they are fully warmed up. Once the motors are warm, they don't do it anymore.

·
Premium Member
23,814 Posts
stock is about the best, I've had, as well as CajunV the braided stainless one, it seems much stiffer than the stock

·
Registered
29 Posts
When my stock cable let loose i went with the Motion-Pro. They make quality cables but they seem to make every cable a few inches longer than stock. It makes fitting it in a bit of a pain, i had the same trouble on my Banshee and my 400ex. With the 400ex the extra length let the clutch cable fall over on the headpipe and you can guess how far i got after that. Eventually i just went back to the stock one, it works just fine.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Ya don't ride it replace it cost a lot more in the long run i messed myself up and my bike also we are both still messed up and it has been like 3 months...

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Monkey...where do you get the CajunV stainless braided cable? Does that one have a clear plastic coating over the stainless braid? The Streamline one on e-bay has the coating but I'm not sure if it's an oem replacement, or the replacement for Streamlines' twist throttle kit. I really like stainless braided hoses and such so if it works as well as the stocker does I'd like to go with that. I don't see myself switching out to a Honda thumb box as I really like the feel of stock.
I spent until 3am Sat. morning repairing the old throttle cable. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to finally be able to ride in the snow and pull my little ones on the sled.
I removed the whole throttle assembly, brought it into the shop to warm up, then took it completely apart. The thumb box was full of rust, aluminum oxide corrosion, and dirt. The cable itself was coated with corrosion also. I got a short 16" piece of 5/16" tygon fuel line, ran the adjuster nuts all the way on both ends of the cable and pushed one end of the tubing on the cable as far as it would go, and secured it with a small screw type hose clamp.
Then I squirted about 10 seconds worth of JB Blaster down the open end of the tubing, and hit it with 100lbs. of compressed air from my blow gun.
I did this 4 or 5 times until I had blown alot of black gunk laden penetrant out the open end. Then, I removed the assembly, and worked the cable in the jacket back and forth for about 15 minutes, continually wiping away the black junk. Then I reinstalled the pressure lubricating assembly, and blew Dexron ATF into the cable until it was red coming out the open end. I cleaned the thumb box, greased it with assembly lube, and took a 4" piece of self adhesive 1/2" dia. heat shrink tubing and patched the spot on the cable that had started to separate from the 90 degree hard tube.
After reinstalling it, and using it all day today in the snow I think it worked famously for a temporary fix.
I will still be ordering a new one, so @ the first sign of another problem, I can replace it.

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
I'd go ahead and replace it when you get it and not take any chances. A stuck throttle can HURT you. Mine has one spot that sticks slightly, and I'm going to replace it when I swap carbs (before I take it out again). After reading Bubba's posts, I am definitely NOT taking any chances.

·
Premium Member
23,814 Posts
Yeah Gardog, that's the one. Maybe it was a fluke but they were much stiffer than the stock.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, O.K. I ordered the one off e-bay, got the matching clutch cables too....I'll put it on when I get it, just my little spill and I feel like I went 10 rounds with an orangutan! You're right I shouldn't chance it.
Thanks Ed3

1 - 9 of 9 Posts