Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the question of strength has came up, whats the best way to fix the problem. The pics show where I've seen 90% of the swingarms break.

·
Premium Member
22,489 Posts
You'd have to tube it in peices and halves to strengthen it there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
^^^ dom, now thats what I call torque!!!

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
No, that's called rocks at GNCC. that's where they break.

I thought about just welding in a round tube all the way down the driveshaft area bottom to top. that way it closes up the hole where the swingarm bearings go.. thers room to get it down there. but it'd be a little harder to change the swingarm bearings.

John

·
Super Moderator
12,655 Posts
I broke one just like that on my Prairie. Rock.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Rocks suck, That just right SOB will tear up a hefty farm tillage tool ...hate rocks

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Yea--them rocks make your joints old quick.
That Poor Swinger took a bashing :eek:

·
Registered
717 Posts
Jon I will try to take some pics of my swingarm if you want them.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have broken 5 and never from a rock all from jumping or whoops.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Is there a way you could make a full length burly skid plate that even covers the pivot?

·
Premium Member
6,975 Posts
I think that is where, like E said, a full skid would help alot, but make it out of teflon or Delrin. Something that can take a beating, slide over stuff, and dampen the impact. It's either that, or make a non-cast swinger.

·
Premium Member
4,361 Posts
I sailed mine down a 32' cliff. Last 8' was a straight drop into a creek bed. Never have broke mine. LOL

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Why not just use the PBR one and but thin plastic on it that way it doesn't get stuck as easily on the rocks?

I sailed mine down a 32' cliff. Last 8' was a straight drop into a creek bed. Never have broke mine. LOL
What the hell did you do that for? Sounds stupid... :D

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
do they show cracks or no warning and just snap. i check mineall the time and see no cracks.

·
Premium Member
6,975 Posts
Cast parts don't flex. They crack. It's just the nature of cast parts. And most likely, they crack full out in one hit.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have had one that showed a small crack first but most just break. Also I believe that a full skid plate is worest because you have to clamp it at the top were it is already weak.

·
Super Moderator
12,655 Posts
Cast parts don't flex. They crack. It's just the nature of cast parts. And most likely, they crack full out in one hit.
That's what happened to mine. Going too fast, ran off the trail, flew through the air and the right rear tire came down behind a square 15" rock. Ripped the swingarm out from under the quad, all that kept it together was the brake cables. I ended up 20 feet ahead laying in the mud w/o a scratch! The rock never touched the swingarm; the force of the tire slamming into the rock tore the swingarm in half. It didn't do much for the axle, either.:eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts