Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have a question , im a bit strapped for cash this winter , i have a new set of stock tires on my 700 studded up , hooks up amazing on the ice i can even wheely , but unfortunately i dont get to ride it all the time , my old lady rides it , i need to keep up with her on my 400 and its stock ... i have bear claws on it 22 x 12 x 9 on the rear and 23 x 7 x 10 on the front i was going to stud them for the winter i figured i could pull em out in the spring and still use tires , my question is , can i use screws from the hardware store to save money i priced some studs out and they want 70 bux for a 1000 , i figured i only need a bout 150 a tire and like i said i want to be able to use them again this summer , any input would be greatly appreciated thanx - Jay

·
Premium Member
10,240 Posts
They will get dull quickly if they get on anything other than ice because they are not hardened. But, they are also cheap! :tup:

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
I have used just a sheet metal screw before. I tried it snow plowing once when we had ice and i couldn't push it. They work pretty good but nothing like a pro gold stud.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
I guess I am confused..how does this studding proccess go? To me if you stud them and then pull them out they would leak like a sieve.

Somebody school me on this..:)

·
Premium Member
10,240 Posts
You use screws short enough that they don't puncture the tire. A common size is 1/2" long but you may be able to use longer screws if you have deep tread.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
So they are like a double ended fastener? Installed from the outside?

I always thought they were installed from the inside through the lugs for extra support.
Always wondered how ITH they kept them aired up for more than 30 seconds at a time.
:lol:
I just never had enough interest in them to look up the process.

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
Sheet metal screws won't stay in if your riding fast at all, I used the half inch ones and over half of them were gone in one day of riding, proper studs are worth the money.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
i use 1/2 kold kutters they seem to workout

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i havent had a problem with my 700 , it hooks up great maybe i will just spend the extra dollar , thanx ---Jay

·
Premium Member
10,240 Posts
Here ya go! These are pretty cheap for 250.

Bag of 250 1/2" Pro Gold Screw:eBay Motors (item 300368456210 end time Jan-16-10 20:00:18 PST)

You really only need one row down the middle of the front tires. Probably around 100/tire. I bet you could set them up pretty nice with two of those 250-packs.

There is a point when you can go overboard... like these... (I probably have too many screws in them)

...or even eventually do this to a pair of tires. (I'll warn you, they hook HARD and push your front end like a bitch trying to take a corner)

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
Here ya go! These are pretty cheap for 250.

Bag of 250 1/2" Pro Gold Screw:eBay Motors (item 300368456210 end time Jan-16-10 20:00:18 PST)

You really only need one row down the middle of the front tires. Probably around 100/tire. I bet you could set them up pretty nice with two of those 250-packs.

There is a point when you can go overboard... like these... (I probably have too many screws in them)

...or even eventually do this to a pair of tires. (I'll warn you, they hook HARD and push your front end like a bitch trying to take a corner)

If i remember you have 56 pixs in the tires in bottom pic. Would you use the same or more again. I will be doing the same to a set of tires. I just need to find some pixs studs cheap and what size tire to use.

·
Premium Member
10,240 Posts
Yes, they have 56 each. Those are 22x11-10 stock V rear tires (Holeshot XCTs). I haven't actually been out on a lake with them yet but they hooked like crazy in my friend's yard. It was all iced over from running his snowmobile and had about 1" of packed snow on top of it. I was originally trying to sell the pair that have the screws in them but have decided to keep them until after I get out on the ice for the first time. The studded pair might have TOO MUCH bite.

Here's some snowmobile studs on craigslist.

Woody's Snowmobile Studs

snowmobile track studs woodys

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/rvs/1529208354.html

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
I have a set of brute force stock tire with pro gold studs screws. I have 1000 in the set of 4 tires. They have crazy bite on ice. but when the ice gets cut up or snow on they don't do so good. That's when the pixs will kick azz.
Thanks for the craigslist post. I have called a few and nothing.:confused:

·
Premium Member
10,240 Posts
Yeah, that's why I set up a pair with the studs.

One problem with most utility quad tires is that the tread face is so round and not flat like the ones I did (correct me if I am wrong). I would think that a lot of the studs would be on outward angles.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wow i didnt think you could do that are those sled studs? i talked to my guy today and he said 70 to 100 bux for 1000 , 1/2 studs , i might just compare some shet metal screws for now, i was just checking out my v and its missing a bunch of studs already so.....im looking at it like lose expensive screws or cheap ones ? i know the ones on my 700 are better but im sure the sheet metal screws will hook up a bit no ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you put tubes in those? im assuming i have a pair of itp black water tires on two 8 inch rims i could put them on the 400 they were off my 250r honda , i wouldnt mind doing something like that the are more like a v pattern will it still work and do those studs go in from the inside?

·
Premium Member
10,240 Posts
wow i didnt think you could do that are those sled studs? i talked to my guy today and he said 70 to 100 bux for 1000 , 1/2 studs , i might just compare some shet metal screws for now, i was just checking out my v and its missing a bunch of studs already so.....im looking at it like lose expensive screws or cheap ones ? i know the ones on my 700 are better but im sure the sheet metal screws will hook up a bit no ?
I would think the sheet metal screws should hook up some, just not at much as the ice screws. Plus, they will get dull much more quickly.

you put tubes in those? im assuming i have a pair of itp black water tires on two 8 inch rims i could put them on the 400 they were off my 250r honda , i wouldnt mind doing something like that the are more like a v pattern will it still work and do those studs go in from the inside?
Yes, I have tubes in those tires and I have 8 stainless sheet metal screws on each bead to work as a bead lock so that the tires don't spin on the wheels. If one spins with a tube in it, it will rip off the valve stem.

The snowmobile studs should work in those black water tires but keep in mind a couple of things. First, they will hook up like crazy and won't be much good for anything other than straight line. Second, you will want to find used studs because they are VERY expensive new. I think new ones are around $250 for a pack of 96 carbide-tipped with the nuts and backer plates. Even used ones will cost you $60-$100 and you still have around $30 for a pair of tubes.

·
Premium Member
10,240 Posts
I have a set of brute force stock tire with pro gold studs screws. I have 1000 in the set of 4 tires. They have crazy bite on ice. but when the ice gets cut up or snow on they don't do so good. That's when the pixs will kick azz.
Thanks for the craigslist post. I have called a few and nothing.:confused:
Here's some more that were just listed if you are still looking. These would probably be very nice studs for the money.

SNOWMOBILE TRACK STUDS

1 - 18 of 18 Posts