Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I tore this thing apart several weeks ago all was history but the inner races. I ordered a kit from AllBalls and then shafts from Kawasaki (ouch!). I have a manual on .pdf but cannot really tell the order of the seals, etc. I have the race installed, bearing, and seal. How do all the "O" rings (4) and caps and washer like things go?

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
I believe the o-rings go inside the washer where the pins go through and the washer sits in the seal. Pivot works kits come with pins for a really good price next time u need them.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I didn't know about the worn pins until it was too late. Next time I will order the whole kit...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The kit contains: One outer race, one seal with spring inside, another seal like washer, two "o" rings and a smaller metal washer per side? It also included one large metal washer about the same diameter as the seal???

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe? In the swing-arm itself--outer race > bearing > seal w/spring. On the outside of frame-- seal w/o spring > metal bushing inside seal > "o" ring on either side > fender washer > shaft torque to specs.

Does this sound correct?

Help!

dm

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
sounds like you got the swingarm driveshaft seal kit or a wrong kit

there are no springs in the swingarm bearing kit.

and BE SURE YOU GETSOME CUP PLUGS to seal the new bearings behind the races and pack them with grease.

John

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe that I do have the correct kit, but having trouble describing the parts. The spring that I mentioned is the one inside one of the seals. Some grease seals have them and some don't. Both seals have different inner diameters. One appears to accept the metal bushing and the id of this bushing appear to be where the shafts ride. I have a call in to AllBalls--maybe they will help.

Just got off of the phone with Alex...Great guy and lots of help. They in fact include two sets of grease seals and this is where the confusion started.

This is the order that I have found to work: freeze plug > outer race > bearing > upgrade seal with spring inside > bushing in the "id" of the seal > fender washer > shaft through frame with "o" ring in groove just before the threads begin.

Wow! The extra parts threw me bad. Thanks to all involved.

dm

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I believe that I do have the correct kit, but having trouble describing the parts. The spring that I mentioned is the one inside one of the seals. Some grease seals have them and some don't. Both seals have different inner diameters. One appears to accept the metal bushing and the id of this bushing appear to be where the shafts ride. I have a call in to AllBalls--maybe they will help.

Just got off of the phone with Alex...Great guy and lots of help. They in fact include two sets of grease seals and this is where the confusion started.

This is the order that I have found to work: freeze plug > outer race > bearing > upgrade seal with spring inside > bushing in the "id" of the seal > fender washer > shaft through frame with "o" ring in groove just before the threads begin.

Wow! The extra parts threw me bad. Thanks to all involved.

dm

maybe post some pics of the kit, with all the parts, just did my swing arm bearings about 2months ago, and either I'm missing parts or something wrong on your side, dont recall any springs in the seals, actually, the seal should not even have the iner lip!!

am with John on this one!!

:D

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
Yeah I think those extra seals are for a different application, that bearing kit will fit one of the kawi streetbikes i think.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts