Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I just wanted to share some experience and some advice on removing, installing, and maintaining the swingarm bearings on your Mojave/Lakota or any bike with a swingarm suspension in the rear.

First, my experience. I had to replace the bearings as there was a lot of lateral or side by side play as noticed by a friend when loading up. I have a 01 Lakota sport quad, just so you can picture what I was working on. I bought it for cheap as it was not running and replaced many parts or fixed others. It was not well maintained. So I removed the swingarm and proceeded to inspect the bearings. Or lack thereof. There was no cage left on either sides in the outer piece and the needles, what was left of them, fell out on removal along with the old seals. Well that was easy I thought, should be no problem pounding out the old bearings I said to my buddy. Boy was I way off. The first one cane out after a lot of pounding. The second one was another story. For awhile I thought it was welded to the darn arm. It took beatings along with a lot of heat to get it to budge. Had to even use one of the old bearings to get the old bearing to stop mushrooming into the arm. The socket, while a great size for the job, just wouldn't let it budge. Finally got it out though. Pivot bolt was reuseable but may replace as it had some minor wear on the pivot points.

OK, so that sums it up. What I would like to suggest to anyone is that you check and maintain this crucial area of your bike. Not only will it keep everything in line (like your chain and sprockets) and your frame solid, but you will save time and headache down the road so to speak. Nothing is worse than a stubborn bearing that removal techniques you need to use threaten to render your current swingarm useless.

Oh and when putting in the new ones, use some grease and throw the outer needle bearings in the freezer. They go right in and will come out much better later. For your sake or the other guy/gal you sold it to.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
When they are that bad, I use a chisel and fold one side of the bearing race onto itself until it cracks. Much easier to get out that way, but still no fun.

Reactions: M0JAV3

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip! We tried something similar but the chisel was too big. We did not have a smaller one. Here is a pic of the old bearings. Heat won the day but burned off the primer and paint a little on that side.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts