Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being these T-4's are shorter than other quads what is a good swingarm length to start with? This would be on a 330 and only be rode on the sand. My built 700 Rappy had a +4 that worked real good at the coast but I think the Rappy was longer that the T-4 to start with. I am leaning towards a +4 but in the back of my mind I am thinking +5 or 6.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Being these T-4's are shorter than other quads what is a good swingarm length to start with? This would be on a 330 and only be rode on the sand. My built 700 Rappy had a +4 that worked real good at the coast but I think the Rappy was longer that the T-4 to start with. I am leaning towards a +4 but in the back of my mind I am thinking +5 or 6.
Max: +2

I'm probably the minority by saying this since it seems like everyone and their brother all think they need at least a +6 anymore. But going longer than plus two may be hasty for anything except a dragger or a dedicated hill shooter. Try the stock length first, you'll be surprised.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I went +4 on my 310 big bore with straight paddle Haulers (20 x 12 x 10) and was happy with that for big hill climbs out of deep holes but it really slowed the take-off for drag racing.
After a couple summers I cut it back to +3 and it is better all-around. +4 is good for a 330 with lots of tire 20X12W or 22X11W for big hills but I've not had anything over +4 work any better.
I think Senator is right, 2 to 3" is enough. I'll drag anyone with +6 and beat them out of the hole on a shorter arm.

·
Registered
60 Posts
too short is much better than too long.. when i see a bike with a long arm my first thought is that either the guy is running some big power or he has some weak riding skills. I like to use the shortest swingarm I can manage.. IMO if you cant get the front end up at will the bike is too long for all purpose use.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If its for the sand, paddle tire will also determine length of swingarm needed. I have ran bikes with +4 to +12 but longer does not mean better or safer. Too short with lots of paddle means wheelie city. Too long with not enough paddle equals bogging and more clutching.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Ride it with the stocker and see what you think.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I very much enjoy my +2.5" The stocker works ok but there are a few pretty brutal hillshots on the Oregon dunes that you WILL NOT make it up without a little extra padding out back. The swinger i have isn't enough extra to mess up the forever wheelie balance point.

·
Registered
276 Posts
If its for the sand, paddle tire will also determine length of swingarm needed. I have ran bikes with +4 to +12 but longer does not mean better or safer. Too short with lots of paddle means wheelie city. Too long with not enough paddle equals bogging and more clutching.
Ok, so, a 330 with stock swing arms needs what type of paddle to perform best?
(meaning, not up in the air all the time)?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts