Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im getting older and im tired of getting beat up so last night I went and picked up a 2016 Outlander 850 XT-P. I believe its the last year they used Fox Podium RC2 shocks before they switched to QS3's on the XT-P's. Now only the XXC's get the RC2's. Ive only put a few miles on it but so far the ride is amazing and the 850 pulls hard. I'll have to run it against my brute and see how the 665 compares but I have a feeling it will lose. Future plans are tires, upgraded rear diff and trq locker in the front. It was cold last night after I got home so I just grabbed a quick pick. I'm still keeping the brute but im probably putting stock exhaust back on and selling the muzzy.
20200121_182137.jpg

·
Registered
469 Posts
A friend of mine just bought a 2020 850 Outlander Max. Big change for him coming from a Honda Rubicon 500. He loves his new Outty. Tons of power and there is no comparison in ride quality compared to the Honda. Canam was definitely on the radar when I got back into quadding, but the pricetag on those things is stupid and I was already familiar with the Kawasaki's as I had an '02 650 before. Congrats on the new ride JG!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I walked into the dealer ready to purchase a new Outlander 850XT but they just got this on trade in. I was already planning on doing the rear diff, trq locker and elka's on the new one so I figured the many thousands I saved I can upgrade all the weak links on this one and still be ahead.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im opposite, just sold my Outlander and looking for a brute. Mine was a 570 that I clutched and put fox shocks on and was really fun. The ride and power of can am is second to non. I was overall happy. But a lot of maintenance is key. And rear diff and driveshaft issues started becoming problematic for me and my buddies who all have outlanders.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Congrats on the new ride.
Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Nice ride.

·
Registered
12,421 Posts
Congratulations on the new ride!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Its a completely different feeling compared to the brute force. Being a straight axle the brute force feels more stable so its going to take some time to adjust and get confidence back. It also only has the left brake lever for front/rear and the foot pedal for the rear so that's a big change. Over all im extremely happy and I know about the diff problems but I came in prepared to spend the money if need be. My first big ride is a SNIRT run in April up by Watertown, NY.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Thanks guys. Its a completely different feeling compared to the brute force. Being a straight axle the brute force feels more stable
I've been saying that for years, but most IRS people don't believe it. But you take a group of people and the two different rides to a technical place like Moab, and it's funny how popular the sra bikes suddenly get.? The stability and low center of gravity of the sra becomes very apparent.
I've been out test riding a lot of atvs for a buddy looking to buy lately, and I'm just amazed at how tall and tippy a lot of models feel compared to my Prairie. It's no wonder why so many folks getting into riding these days say they feel safer in a SxS.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah the left brake takes a little getting used to but becomes normal. The engine brake of the can ams is awesome and at first seems like a lot, but I loved it once I got used to it. Nice ride!

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
The 4wd system will also take some getting used to. At least it did for me. To tell the truth, I'm still not a fan of it. I think the very first thing I would do if I ever bought a Can Am would be to install a Halo locker on it.

You can also buy a right brake lever system from an XXC model if you want. Bit of a pain to install, but might be worth it to you.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
It seems guys love or hate the visco lok. I didn't mud at all and I thought visko lok worked well
All depends on what you're used to, and what you're looking to do with it.
For my style riding and the trails I like best, there is no question that autolockers don't work as well as manual lockers.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't have an opinion yet on visco lok but do plan on putting in a trq locker eventually. As far as the only one brake lever ill get used to it. My brother has 30 acres so Saturday ill take it out there and get some seat time in.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Congrats on your new machine. I'm sure that you will be very pleased with it for a ling time.
I have a good friend that bought a new 800 Max in 2014 and retired it early 2019 with over 24,000 miles on it with no major repairs. It still runs great. He's unable to sell it due to the high mileage and he doesn't want to just give it away. He easily got 120 miles on 5 gallons of gas. Most impressive. My BF is lucky to get 70 miles on 5 gallons of gas on a good day and that sucks.
He replaced it with a 2019 850 Max and he's very pleased it it too.
My last ATV was a SRA and that was the last one I'll own.
Not sure what my next ATV will be but I do know I'll look at what CanAm has at the time.
I would like a 2-up machine next time but that's not going to happen for some time.
Mine still seems to be hanging in there.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
As far as the only one brake lever ill get used to it.
I'd start whining to a good friend about things I didn't like about my BF like the little yellow lever, rear wheel engine braking like Polaris and a few other things and he's always look at me and say,
"you'll get used to it". :ROFLMAO:
Some of them I did and some of them I didn't. ;)

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
rear wheel engine braking like Polaris
Kawies have only rear engine breaking only in 2wd, and have 4 wheel engine breaking done mechanically in 4wd. That's pretty much how all brands are with selectable 2wd/4wd, cvt operated models.
Polaris does things differently. Po's with EBS and not equipped with ADC only send engine braking to the rear wheels (notoriously dangerous and direct result of AWD). Po's with ADC do send engine breaking to the front wheels, though in a much less reliable way with sensors, governors, and computers.

It's still amazing to me that Po would ever make an AWD, CVT operated machine without both EBS and ADC. Seems like an AWD vehicle should have those things standard.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I got used to my back tires never locking up and sliding when I had my Honda.
I find it irritating when they do. I understand why they do and how to prevent it.

The thing I disliked about the Polaris ADC is it only engages with the closed throttle.
The second you open the throttle even the tiniest little bit the ADC disengages.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I got used to my back tires never locking up and sliding when I had my Honda.
That is nice for sure. My Wolverines are that way.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Has some time to really ride this thing. Took a bit to get used to but I can ride this harder, faster, and longer than the brute all day every day. Already have a fuel controller and clutch kit waiting to go on. The only thing the brute has over it is it's much easy to work on but I also don't have to pull the clutch to change the belt. I had a chance to race my 665 against it, the brute will jump out first but the 850 rides out and pulls hard up top. Can am clutching leaves a lot on the table and once it's clutched it will be no contest. The 850 feels like it has a dead spot when you hit it but then it lights up and pulls the tires. My brute only has a almond secondary and pulls hard till around 55-60 then falls off a bit where the 850 pulls hard all the way past 65, it has long legs that's for sure. I still don't have an opinion on visco-lok but so far it handles a foot+ of snow pretty good even with stock tires. I'm sure the ground clearance has a lot to do with that.

20200201_120708.jpg 20200201_120648.jpg

1 - 20 of 26 Posts