Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help I am ready to put a tach in my teryx, I would like to have one with the nettle not a digital but I need to know what kind to buy and what will I need to hook it up, maybe a vender has a package with every thing I need and maybe a brief summary on how to hook it up.

·
Premium Member
6,975 Posts
Just get a tach with a 4 cylinder option. Then hook it up like this. I found this in a search

http://www.kawieriders.com/forum/kawasaki-kfx700-v-force/65156-tach.html

heathen said:
Red, Main Power: Battery w/Switch
Black, Ground: Chassis or battery negative.
White, Lights: Wire to rear taillight or a headlight.
Green, Coil Wire: Splice in negative side of the V's pickup coil.
Orange--did not use.

Pickup coil wires come out of side of the v's engine case beside the 3 black alternator wires, coil wires will be together in a different loom, black w/stripe and blue w/stripe. Trace them up and around to the opposite side of the motor. I spliced into the black wire just before it entered into a white diconnect plug. Set tach to 4cyl mode.

I soldered all my connections and shrink tubed them. I was going to hook up some weather proof connectors because I was going to mount the tach into the air box cover, and wanted to be able to disconnect the tach when I took the cover off. I was out mocking it up and ran ito a clearance problem when turning the handle bars. So I need to think up somewhere else to mount it. I'll probably mount it next to the ignition switch, but will have to fab up a pod to house the tach.

[/qoute]

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
It'd probably be wise to tell us what you have. 08-09-10?

if you have the 08 you can buy the Dyna programmable CDI and hook any tach to it on the green wire.

use the Autometer 12k or 14k tach

if you have a FI model. that's going to be much more difficult as the pulse pickup has 20 pins on it per revolution.

there are no "kits"

John

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
that still applies to the 2008 Teryx's. so it was good info.

he has a 2009 and its going to be a little more difficult.

he has the MSD, so MSD should be able to point him in the right direction. they make ignitions and should have a Tach interface output on the MSD somewhere besides the laptop program

John

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
talked to brett at msd he said they have a 8918 gmr pickup that would hook up on the coil then called auto meter about tach he ask how many pulses per revolutions called brett back he said 1 but I thought john told me it had more pulses, john if you are out there please respond

·
Registered
952 Posts
talked to brett at msd he said they have a 8918 gmr pickup that would hook up on the coil then called auto meter about tach he ask how many pulses per revolutions called brett back he said 1 but I thought john told me it had more pulses, john if you are out there please respond
John is talking about the pulse coil (inside the engine) MSD is talking about the ignition coil

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
John is talking about the pulse coil (inside the engine) MSD is talking about the ignition coil

the pulse coil will trigger the sensor 20x per revolution.

ignition coil on 09-10 is good for 1 pulse per cylinder per 360 revolution

Carbed 08's fire the coil 2x per 360 degrees.

the 8918 is a Inductive filtered trigger sensor you hook to the coil to convert the ignition pulse into a tach signal.

you can't just hook the tach to the coil. you hook the tach to the 8918 and then to the coil.

should work just fine like that. it's similar to the LM1's RPM pickup adapter.

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts