Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone on here knew what the tecate 4's should go for in price. I believe they made them only for two years 1987 and '88. I'm looking at getting one that is clean and wondering what would be a fair price to as not to get burned.

thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Yep, they made them in 87 and 88. Any pics of the one your looking at getting? That would help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also, if you don't mind what areas should I be looking at for problems on these tecate 4's?

thanks

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Wow that is a very nice original bike. What is he asking for it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 2000 Honda CR250 that is very nice all original condition and he is interested in trade, I listed it for $2000, so I guess you can say he wants the same amount. I was originally looking to sale it or trade for a Honda TRX 250r but he sent me an email to see if I may be interested in trade for his Tecate 4.

Whatcha think?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I would say ride and see if you like, I think it would be a fair trade as long as you like the bike. Tecates only have a couple issues to my knowledge and from my experience, The power valves are aluminum and the governer rod that opens them is steel so if there is alot of carbon build up on the valves they will stick and the gears will strip, another is I used to go through alot of gear shifters on mine striping the splines unil I put a tecate 3 gear shifter on it, the T3 shifter seemes to fit tighter. But I am pretty hard on gear shifters some times so that could just be me and not the bike.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have a 2000 Honda CR250 that is very nice all original condition and he is interested in trade, I listed it for $2000, so I guess you can say he wants the same amount. I was originally looking to sale it or trade for a Honda TRX 250r but he sent me an email to see if I may be interested in trade for his Tecate 4.

Whatcha think?
i think ive seen your ads on craigslist in the pa or ny section right

·
Registered
780 Posts
GVW that bike is in amazing condition, you'll look a long time before you find another like it. The price is always subject to what YOU are willing to pay for it but in a free market it's definately worth a 2000 CR250.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
So what are your latest thoughts about getting this bike?

·
Registered
34 Posts
ow that is a very nice looking peice.. if you like it i would also say its worth the trade, especially in that condition. CR's can be had easily, these cant.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
d'stecate4,
we've been emailing back and forth and I asked a few questions about specifics and I'm waiting to hear back from him. I'm still not completely sure, we'll see what he says and that will let me know in what direction I'm going. I see a few of these for sale from time to time (most are really in need of work) it does seem like this one is in nice original condition. With my CR250 being in extremely nice condition, basically ridden just a few hours since new (I have a newer CR 250 I ride) I definitely want something equally nice in trade.

Quick question, I have ridden TRX 250r's (years ago) but not the Tecate 4 and from what I understand it is a little narrower and shorter what would I be getting into (money wise) by changing the a-arms, axle and possibly the swingarm to get a little more stability?

thanks guys for the replies

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Quick question, I have ridden TRX 250r's (years ago) but not the Tecate 4 and from what I understand it is a little narrower and shorter what would I be getting into (money wise) by changing the a-arms, axle and possibly the swingarm to get a little more stability?

thanks guys for the replies
Well out of those three items, the easiest to get would be the extended swing arm, Rockhound takes care of those. The axle, you might have to use wheel spacers for a while until an extended axle pops up, durablue stopped making them. A-arms, Dave at ILR makes a really nice set, Herrmann racing makes them, you will see other aftermarkets pop up every now and then, and come spring time I may have a few sets finnished, I have 3 sets in work rite now but it will be a while before they are done, my welder was broke for a while and now with the cold I just don't wanna do much out in the garage. Your probably looking around 1k to 1500 maybee for all of that or maybee cheaper, it all just depends on what kind of deals you can get. Not sure how much the extended swingers are and I don't know how much Dave's a-arms are either. Herrmann a-arms are around 600 some, its been a long time sence I talked to them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
oh man i would jump on that. that is one of the cleanest stock bikes i'ev ever seen

·
Registered
276 Posts
Rip his arm off, that's a clean ride. Hell - if you dont want it, pass through the details. what state is it in?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The bike does look clean in the photos, he got back with me and said it needs a top end and the rear shock needs to be rebuilt, it's been sitting for about 4 years in his garage and he's the second owner. He lives in Phoenix, AZ. He mentioned if he sold it outright he would want $2000, I'm not sure if I want to trade or not. I originally put in the ad for sale or trade for TRX 250r (since parts are so much more available and I've always been a Honda guy) but have always thought the Tecate 4's are interesting and different, nice to be a little different.

If someone else is "seriously" interested in it, I could let him know. As for me, I'm on the fence..... :confused:

·
Registered
780 Posts
While you're busy dancing on the fence others are making him offers. About the fifth or sixth offer in a row between 1600 and 1800 he'll have figured out what the bike is worth and accept one of them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
He actually doesn't have it listed for sale. He just seen my ad and sent an email to me, he mentioned he won't sell for less than $2000 or he'll keep it as a collector's piece

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
If I had the cash and the time to drive way down there I would buy it up.

·
Registered
780 Posts
He actually doesn't have it listed for sale. He just seen my ad and sent an email to me, he mentioned he won't sell for less than $2000 or he'll keep it as a collector's piece
That's good for you then, it looks like you have some time. I imagine there's more than just the few of us who would pay 2000 for that. Since I'm not buying tecates right now my price is irrelavant. Though it's important to note that I'm the cheapskate of the bunch who usually comes in with the lowest price of everyone on these "how much is it worth" threads...and I say 2 grand is fair price for that rig, even with a new top end on the horizon.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts