Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a new set of tires for the Brute 750 and have it narrowed down to these two tires in a 26 x 12 size, not sure if I'm going square or not, most likely not. They are pretty much the exact same price, weight, and size (both run true to size) and both have really good reviews on them. The HTR's have a slightly deeper tread depth but probably not enough to really make a difference.

Does anyone have direct experience with both of these tires that could sway me one way or the other? I primarily trail ride in the mountains of Utah primarily in dirt - hardish pack in the fall/spring, loose and gravely/dusty in the summer with lots of rock, some snow, some mud (just trail mud that you run across, not seeking mud holes). If you have ever ridden in Central and Northern Utah, southeast Idaho, or Wyoming you know the type of terrain I am riding.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a new set of tires for the Brute 750 and have it narrowed down to these two tires in a 26 x 12 size, not sure if I'm going square or not, most likely not. They are pretty much the exact same price, weight, and size (both run true to size) and both have really good reviews on them. The HTR's have a slightly deeper tread depth but probably not enough to really make a difference.

Does anyone have direct experience with both of these tires that could sway me one way or the other? I primarily trail ride in the mountains of Utah primarily in dirt - hardish pack in the fall/spring, loose and gravely/dusty in the summer with lots of rock, some snow, some mud (just trail mud that you run across, not seeking mud holes). If you have ever ridden in Central and Northern Utah, southeast Idaho, or Wyoming you know the type of terrain I am riding.
I've never personally owned either tire, but I have friends who bought both and ride in Utah. Opinions were mostly positive with the only complaint being the Terracross wore out fairly fast. It has great traction, but the rubber is fairly soft.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I can't help you with the Htrs, but I have three buddies who have run multiple sets of the Terra cross on their outlanders and they are a great all around tire. We ride northern WI, Michigan and go out to Hatfield and Mccoy so a bit of everything and they do great.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had horrible luck with 25 inch and 26 inch terracross. They shook so bad anything over 25 miles an hour. I sold them as fast as I could LOL

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's good to know on all of those. I decided to take a look at the Sedona Rip Saw again. They are a bit heavier than either of the previous tires I am considering. Anyone ride these before? They seem to get a lot of good reviews for both ATV's and SxS's but the most common complaint is that they are heavy i.e. rob a little power, and they are stiff giving your machine a rougher ride. Seemed the rougher ride complaints were mainly from SxS guys though. Any thoughts or experience is welcome.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
That's good to know on all of those. I decided to take a look at the Sedona Rip Saw again. They are a bit heavier than either of the previous tires I am considering. Anyone ride these before? They seem to get a lot of good reviews for both ATV's and SxS's but the most common complaint is that they are heavy i.e. rob a little power, and they are stiff giving your machine a rougher ride. Seemed the rougher ride complaints were mainly from SxS guys though. Any thoughts or experience is welcome.
My buddy just put them on his Prairie 650 he picked up. I rode it around and couldn't believe how stiff they were, even at 2 psi. And yes, they are heavy. I'm headed over to his place next week to put my heavier duty clutch springs in because they robbed a lot of snap out of that 650 engine.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Take a look at the CST Ancla tire. I put a set on my Prairie last winter and have 3000 miles on them so far. I love them. They handle everything well, and they have a fairly soft ride for such an aggressive tire. And they are pretty cheap too.....full set at pureoffroad.com for $466 shipped. Was $400 just a few months ago.
Over 1" tread when new, and not too bad wear at 3000 miles. I will buy another set this winter.
BTW, CST owns Maxxis.

Reactions: CSwanson

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Take a look at the CST Ancla tire. I put a set on my Prairie last winter and have 3000 miles on them so far. I love them. They handle everything well, and they have a fairly soft ride for such an aggressive tire. And they are pretty cheap too.....full set at pureoffroad.com for $466 shipped. Was $400 just a few months ago.
Over 1" tread when new, and not too bad wear at 3000 miles. I will buy another set this winter.
BTW, CST owns Maxxis.
View attachment 76457
That's good to know. I'll check them out. That seems to be the main problem anymore, there are tons of tires out there but all of them seem to be heavy and stiff and geared towards SxS's and not ATVs.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
That's good to know. I'll check them out. That seems to be the main problem anymore, there are tons of tires out there but all of them seem to be heavy and stiff and geared towards SxS's and not ATVs.
Yep, that is exactly what's going on. They are just built so stiff these days because the tire companies know there's a 90% chance that tire is going on a SXS. You almost have to buy a bias ply just to get a softer ride now.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Im pretty happy with what ive been running for the past few years. I dont see myself ever buying any other tire. Love these mudlite xtr's. I can't believe more people don't run them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, that is exactly what's going on. They are just built so stiff these days because the tire companies know there's a 90% chance that tire is going on a SXS. You almost have to buy a bias ply just to get a softer ride now.
I've been really set on wanting to try a radial out but this is about the same conclusion I am coming too. That is one reason why the HTR's and the Terra Cross were high on my list, seems they were developed long enough ago that they had quads in mind during development. I may have to look into the Sedona coyote again. It is a bias tire but has what they are calling their "improved carcass" (I think that's what they call it anyways) that is supposed to make it ride more smooth like a radial.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Im pretty happy with what ive been running for the past few years. I dont see myself ever buying any other tire. Love these mudlite xtr's. I can't believe more people don't run them.
I haven't really looked at those. I will have to check them out. I used to always run the OG mudlites on my prairie 650s and was always really happy with them. Biggest problem was you had to be careful in snow. They would dig deep and fast if you weren't paying attention.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I've been really set on wanting to try a radial out but this is about the same conclusion I am coming too. That is one reason why the HTR's and the Terra Cross were high on my list, seems they were developed long enough ago that they had quads in mind during development. I may have to look into the Sedona coyote again. It is a bias tire but has what they are calling their "improved carcass" (I think that's what they call it anyways) that is supposed to make it ride more smooth like a radial.
The Ancla is a bias ply 6 ply tire. I really can't tell any appreciable difference in handling (and I usually ride as fast as the trail allows), and they aren't as harsh on those grapefruit sized rocks in the road as the the last radials I had.
I have been running the Anclas at 3 psi front and 4 psi rear.

Reactions: CSwanson

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Im running mine at 5.5 in the back and 6.5 in the front

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I really looked into the XTR's and decided that is what I am going to go with. It's a similar tread pattern to what I've been really happy with in the past and they seem to get Doug Meyer's, at ATVTV, stamp of approval haha. We'll see how I like them.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I really looked into the XTR's and decided that is what I am going to go with. It's a similar tread pattern to what I've been really happy with in the past and they seem to get Doug Meyer's, at ATVTV, stamp of approval haha. We'll see how I like them.
Im suprised more people dont buy them. When you get them mounted post some pictures and get back to us and let us know how you like them. They really eat

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I've had three sets of Sedona tires and I wouldn't take a set even if they were free.

Reactions: Swanny52

·
Registered
96 Posts
i have the rip saws on my brute. they are heavy, but wear like iron like the old 589 itp's. yes they ride stiff. only reason i still run them is because they wont wear out

1 - 18 of 18 Posts