Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got a few days to get my work own done. Grider was wanting my Muzzy on the Teryx, and it's a prick job to remove it. So I said the hell with it. I pulled the motor along with the exhaust. I started Sunday at about 3pm after a snow ride.

I don't know if pulling the motor to do a top end job was the right thing to do. I should have removed the shifter assembly and left it in the cart?? removing it by yourself is a pain in the ASS!!!! I'll tell you that. My balls are around my ankles now.

Anyway. I get this box that says AMR on it...well, Glenn had sent me a set of his Standard bore pistons about a month ago with a note (don't let an RZR beat you). THANK YOU GLENN that is very generous of you!! That was a nice birthday present. the pistons and rings he sent me went in without a hitch. (ring package was perfect fit). He also sent me his new dual valve spring kit.

they are the AMR Racing 12.5's 750cc and Total seal rings (fancy ones)

there they are compared to the stock piston that it replaced. by far the best 85mm piston out there and ready for the +4 heads. (when I finish them)

Next, I got Mickey to send me a set of stage 2 cams. I just want a trail motor that is reliable and I can sink and trash it at will, so I opted for my favorite woods cam, the stage 2 89A Web Camshaft grind. great for the low end grunt and top end pull just like in the atv's

bad pic, but you get the idea.

Last was the Fundy TRP Waterpump. I already had it installed, but Ray was nice enough to send it for me to try and I was running it on a stock motor, so this should be a little better test. So far it has been performing flawlessly, I pulled it to check it out and it was in fine shape. I had some seeping around the spacer. I installed it without sealant and using just 2 gaskets, so I followed the instructions and ran only one and used Permatex ultra Gray sealant. now it's good to go.

Sorry, I never got a pic, my hands were too greasy. but it's really nice and a larger propeller with spacer plate. Thanks again Ray.

Last is the new Muzzy PRO Teryx pipe with Teflon Coated cans. super sweet system. a bit of a bitch to get on, but when you work alone usually things are without an extra set of hands. Thanks to TIM at muzzy for semding me the pipe for Dyno Testing. (like 2 months ago)

I started it on Sunday at 3:00 in the afternoon with just intention to remove the exhaust. But I pulled the intake and saw BAD NEWS!!!! IT WAS FILLED WITH ALOT OF DIRT!!! The stock airfilter bit the dust and sucked in LOADS OF DIRT!! So it was a full pull, teardown and inspect. good time to put these Performance parts to use!!

Today Tuesday at 10:00 pm, motor's back in, bolted down, echaust is on and it fired to life with a gnarly bite. REV's like a MOFO!!! throttle response is incredible. Damn if it runs as good as it rev's I'll be happy

I just have to make sure that it is coolant is bled and no AIR is in the system.

Break in should be done about now.

I'll Dyno and tune the carbs and clutch accordingly tomorrow.

I have some high hopes for this setup. from the feel of it. it's going to be just what I was looking for.

until tomorrow....

John

·
Registered
874 Posts
Heh, I've taken a part my teryx so many times its easy now but man did I complain the first time.

You took the entire shifter out? Damn that just fold it all foward with the carbs radiator hoses and all. I keep mine in the frame when I do it but its a little harder on the back compared to being out because you're leaning into the cab...

Nice how the front drive shaft blocks one of those 12mm's isn't it? Also did your front drive shaft clip already pop out? Every teryx I've seen pops the front clip out.

And it gets worse... Don't ever have to replace the dash or the floorboard piece that attaches to the dash.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Congrats John glad to see you working on your own stuff. Are we going to see some awesome dyno numbers? I'm sure we will. Can't wait to see that thing run. It ran good before...

·
Premium Member
6,802 Posts
Can't wait to hear the numbers John, that was quick :D

I bought one of the billet adapters and Uni filters from Hunterworks, it works great, don't have to worry about the filter letting any dirt in there. :tup:

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
yes they are a pita to tear apart.. i did a std bore engine in the machine, its almost as much work getting to the engine as it is to build it.. even getting at the clutch is a pain in the ass..

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Make sure you take good notes on tuning with the stock carbs, Ill be down in a few weeks with the 840 to tune. I feel your pain in pullin the motor by yourself, my back ached for three days afterwards! Be careful when you re route those choke cables, if u dont run them just like they were they dont work right!

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm making my own intake setup today to take care of the dirt in the airfilter. I should have just bought them damn rings. I just spent 26.00 on 3 pieces of 6x6x1 thick 6061 and 1 piece of 4x4x4 was 35.00 for the filter adapter.

I got to get some clutches done now, so maybe I can get this thing on the rollers by 5 pm.

JOhn

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can't wait to hear the numbers John, that was quick :D

:tup:
I the exhaust boxed up and shipping it out today.

I just didn't have time to clean the cans too well I was running out of time so you'll have to bling up for yourself. All the rest is already done and clean even the inside of the pipes. I put a new billet muffler mount kit in it for you and new muzzys gaskets they are wrapped in the mount kit instructions.

John

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I'm making my own intake setup today to take care of the dirt in the airfilter. I should have just bought them damn rings. I just spent 26.00 on 3 pieces of 6x6x1 thick 6061 and 1 piece of 4x4x4 was 35.00 for the filter adapter.

I got to get some clutches done now, so maybe I can get this thing on the rollers by 5 pm.

JOhn

Make two sets while your at it and Ill give $20 for them when i come down:lol:

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got it on the rollers, These things like more air than the stock airbox will really allow. that bent azz tube is a major restriction from airbox to plastic plenum.

so far I have it to 57.9 rwhp just tuning with the jets and stock airbox with a large square cut out of the lid. still have to jet up and give it a little more air perhaps I'll see 60?? that's pretty good #'s. Similar to a stage 2 730cc setup in a Vforce.

My aluminum pieces came out nice, airbox-k&N adapter, 2 intake plenum rings. took about 10 hours to make them all with the programming and I screwed up 1 plenum ring. I made them all the same size like a dumb ass. I just have to make my own stuff.

Found a nice K&N filter that fits the stock Teryx box off of a Ford Focus K&N filter kit. Part # RX-4990 they are about 65.00 large and has the top if the filter airflow section added Xstream or something? it's a 3 inch clamp on. so there's plenty of airflow.

I'll make a video of it on the dyno. You gotta hear the Muzzy PRO pipes. They sound NOTHING like the STD version. It sounds sort of like a YFZ 450 with an HMF on it. very raspy high pitched sound. Sounds like a set of true duals, but not as crackly in the midrange.

well. Back to the Dyno I go.

John

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the jetting squared away. 178-178 mains, dynojet Teryx needle, 40 pilots 2 turns out a/f screw.

59.2 rwhp just what I expected out of it for a stage 2 cammed motor.

I need to get lighter weights in the clutch. Dalton's are still just too heavy and I'm shifting out at 7495. I want to be 7700 with the 28's. my weights should be in from getting hardened in a week or so. so I can install them and redyno. I'd expect prob 60-61 with more clutch tuning

I'm very satisfied with it. sound is awesome. power is instant and VERY snappy. it rev's very fast, mabye a little faster than my 730 prairie. ZERO motor and exhaust heat. I did many runs and the new routiong of the pipes makes it as cool running as a stocker.

I made dyno vids. but youtube keeps crashing, so I'll load them when youtube cools down. Photobucket can't upload the charts either. I guess every kid in the country is on the net loading stuff.

Well. time to take it for a ride and drink my bottle of Christmas wine. My present to myself is COMPLETE!!

John

·
Premium Member
9,455 Posts
Sounds great John
My pop is thinking about trading the Mule in for a Rex

If he does that he will never see it again :lol:

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds great John
My pop is thinking about trading the Mule in for a Rex

If he does that he will never see it again :lol:
The Teryx is FAR from a Mule even stock. I'd compare the Mule to a sears riding mower compared to the Teryx.

It's a ton faster now. wheelie's a little then it'll burn out in 4wd. no problem hitting 69 even with the 28's on there.

I got it stuck in literally a 4 foot snow drift for about 1 hour. nothing close to even winch it to. had to take the backhoe out back to pull it out.

I'm happy with it...for now.

I'll post the charts and vids soon as the internet cools down

John

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
That's great news John,glad you got it done.Are you going to take it out for a good ride this weekend.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Did you use a bigger (3") pipe between the new filter box and the plenum John? Pictures please.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Grate job John. I'd love to hear a sound video of the new Muzzy.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts