Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stumbled on this on another forum

A note sent out to GM Tonawanda employees this week...

"This week, GM and the Tonawanda Engine plant will build the last Big Block V8 engine - the end of a remarkable era. We are very proud of the men and women of the Tonawanda Engine plant that have contributed to the history of great cars and trucks powered by this motor. In recent years, many OEM suppliers in the industrial and marine business have also grown to love this product. Although it bears older technology by todays standards, the reliability, ease of maintenance, and the overall quality of this engine have made it a steady performer for many years."

The last "big block" engine will roll off the line, today, Friday, December 18.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
what a sad day for america:mad:welcome to the "hybrid era",part of the pussifacation of america:rolleyes:

·
Registered
711 Posts
Is that just the big blocks for the production vehicles or the GM performance big blocks also.GM Performance sells several versions of the 454 ,502 and 572.They also came back out with the 427 big block a few years ago.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
that stinks...

GM Big blocks are used extensively in the recreational boating world...I wonder what mercruiser is gonna do??

I've got a 454 in the boat...man she sounds nice and runs sooo smooth :D

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
well that licks hairy monkey balls.. i better round as many BBCs up as i can before the price sky rockets..

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I wish ford still make some big blocks. LOL It's a sad day for sure!!!

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
That will be the end of the big gas burners that will pull 30,000 gvw down the road good.
They were made for big loads ..sodium filled exhaust valves and all.

Dont grind them thin its spectacular and destructive and life threating in a valve grinder.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
the last real big block was built in the mig 90's when ford stopped the 460.lol
i have seen these motors make more power for less money than anyone thought possible. but it sad to see us going to these weinie no torque having small ass motors.gas milage isn't everything

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
the 460 was a boat anchor that cost $15000 to get any power out of, all it did was burn gas :p

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'm definetly a chevy man and I own a big block Nova .When it comes to trucks I'm a Ford man .Back when I first started working for my old man we had three tow trucks and they all had 390's.I always like the 390 for biulding power than the 460.We used to stock spare parts and spare engines.When we sold the older trucks and replaced them with diesels ,I got all the parts together and put together a couple killer 390's and sold them to some of the mustang crowd around here.When I raced I had two spare 13 to 1 396's and two 12.5 to 1 427's. After I stopped racing I had to get rid of my storage trailer at the shop so I sold everything.Now that I here that they aren't going to make them anymore I think I'll go in the corner and cry.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
around here ya see lots of jet boats with ford 460's and chevy 454's. the ford own the bowties.lol

plus i know a guy that made over 1200hp at the crank on a ford with no power adders. it was slightly larger than 460 inches tho.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts