Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys a newbi here just bought a 04 700 from a budy, took it out this weekend and the bike seems to be a little slower than I remember a 700 being and when you get in the throttle hard and back off it seems to pop a few times through the carbs, almost like a lean pop but when your off the gas. I was thinking sloppy timing chain maybe? the bike is all stock except for the six 1 1/4 holes in the top of the airbox. Jetting is all stock as for as I know and the plugs look good. Any help would be great THANX:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Did the bike sit for an extended period of time? How many hours on the quad?

Bad gas, clogged jets, too small of jets.

sounds like a carb problem

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bike sat for a while but has fresh gas and seems ok under hard throtle just pops when you let off. I remenber the Honda XR 600 would do the same thing and they had a timing chain adjuster. Just wondering if the V has somthing like that.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
I haven't had to adjust my timing chain, and I know I'm pushing 100 hours.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
The V has a timing chain tension apparatus for each cylinders, but I doubt it's your chains.

I would take the carbs off and clean them out really good, and blow out your jets

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
The chain tensioners are self adjusting, nothing for you to do there.

I think these guys are right on about it being a carb problem. Even if you put fresh gas in there the old gas that sat in the carbs could have clogged them up. Take the carbs apart and clean them and then go from there.

·
Premium Member
22,490 Posts
Back out the fuel screws 1/2 turn at a time to a max of 3.5 until the popping stops. You may still need bigger jets and a good carb cleaning.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for all the info I will be pulling the carbs and cleaning them out. If it where lean wouldn't pop at wot under power not when you let off????

·
Premium Member
2,440 Posts
Thanks guys for all the info I will be pulling the carbs and cleaning them out. If it where lean wouldn't pop at wot under power not when you let off????
Only if it were lean on the mains. It's probably lean on Idle circuit or pilots.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts