Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

Tire opinion - dirt drags

6K views 53 replies 9 participants last post by  twyztid 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'll be going to Bedford PA in May. Last year I went there with my studded Chen Chengs, but they don't allow studs there and of course, those tires weren't worth nothing w/o the studs in them. Anyway, one guy who beat me with a stretched out rail banchee was running 25x12x12 TSL super swamper atv tires. He said he wished he had 26" which is what I was thinking about getting as far as size. Some of you guys might be running different tires and different sizes and I just wanted to get some of your opinions about what brand and sizes have been working for you in similar race conditions. My V will be extended 14" if that makes any difference. The track is hard packed dirt. 500'. This video of one of my good friends Big E, gives you an idea of the track condition. Thanks for any input.

#2 ·
Skat Trak does make paddles for hard dirt applications, I think it's the Terrain Trak or Desert Storm and up to 25"

#3 ·
What about a set of modified knobbies with some of the knobs removed?

#6 ·
Do they have a class for 4 wheel drive ATV's? Got anymore info on this?

#9 ·
I am guessing the Turf Tamers are a little flatter profile than the Cheng Shins giving more footprint area.

#13 ·
It might be, Pipo. I'm just experimenting with it for the first couple races though. Maybe one, if it fails to perform. I took the +4 off ole blue and want to attatch it to the 10" I have now and see what will happen. Last year with the 10" on at Surry sand drags - using 26" Blasters, I'd still pull a wheelie 100' down the track. My thinking is that with it extended out a little more, I might be able to eliminate using the wheelie bar. Like I said though...just a test to see what happens. I thought Camo's was awsome when I rode his and I'm pretty sure his is a total of 14" extension. I need corrected if I'm wrong though in my thinking.

I wish I had a set of Turf Tamers just to test out and see how they perform before I end up buying a set. I understand the concept your saying Twyztid. Then again, I wish I could test them all first.

Me and my friends were talking last night too and thought that since I have mad torque comming out of the whole, but seem to loose top end, that going to a 27" tire might be better too. As you can tell, I have a lot of mixed emotions about my set up.

#12 ·
On a hard track I think you would want more tread contacting the ground... as in more biting edges which is what a knobby would give you. I am just basing this on my tire knowledge, not experience.

#14 ·
If you REALLY think you want to try some 27" Super Swamper TSL ATV tires, Interco Tire has some 27x12-10 cosmetic blems for $20/ea plus shipping. You have to call them to order them. They weigh 30lbs a tire, though.

Cosmetic Blemished Tires Available Direct! | News Articles | Interco Tire

If you go with the 27", you almost might be better off with a set that are worn down to around 1/3 tread remaining. You don't need the 1" tread depth for the hard-pack track and it would save weight also.

#15 ·
Chris Chris Chris
lol

12.5 with Blasters in sand...I had no wheelie problems a couple weeks ago.

#16 ·
Hey Tom, check this out. This wheelie was kinda minor compared to a couple I carried down there. Bouncing off the wheelie bar. I want to get rid of the wheelie bar hopefully. With it extended more, I realize I might blow the tires off, but then again, might not. I just have to try though and see what it feels like. :lol:

#17 ·
Thanks for the hook up on the link Twyztid! Also, I just got off the phone with Joe at Fullerton. He was thinking also the Terrain Track like Tom said. Go with a 26". He also mentioned something about another Blaster tire with 32 paddles but cutting grooves inbetween to reduce weight. Couple options floatn now.

#19 ·
yeah, actually the Blasters are originally 32 paddle

would think they should be a lot cheaper if they don't have to remove any paddles, might even not have them comp cut. They would weigh a little more...but would be much stiffer

fricken tires, when do you say enough is enough :lol:

#18 ·
I am beginning to wonder if bigger is really better as far as keeping the front end on the hard ground. The bigger you go the less it will want to spin. The tire either has to grab or spin. A 25" tire with that +14 swinger might be the way to go to give you just enough wheel spin to keep it from lifting. :hmm:

#20 · (Edited)
VFM, do you have some 12" diameter rims already? I may have come across a pair of 27x12-12 tires for cheap at a location auction (that ends tonight) that could be modified to be lighter (I have the tools & ability to do this). They are brand new Blackwater XT's. If the price stays low enough I will probably just buy them anyway to put up on craigslist or something.

This is what they look like. Seems like they would work similar to terrain traks except they would be heavier. I bet there is 5-lbs+ of rubber that could be removed from each tire.

#22 ·
Alright, I'll let you know if I end up buying them and see what you are thinking. I think these tires would hook up better than the TSL's because the lugs overlap. The only issue is that they would be best on a 12x10 (or wider) wheel which could be pretty costly.

#27 ·
Alright, I'll let you know if I end up buying them and see what you are thinking. I think these tires would hook up better than the TSL's because the lugs overlap. The only issue is that they would be best on a 12x10 (or wider) wheel which could be pretty costly.
If you end up getting them, I'd be real anxious to hear what you think of them. Especially compared to the TSL's which I've almost got myself talked into.

#23 ·
vfm, in your video it seems you are hooking up real good,but i am curious as to what you are stalling your V at for the launch?
To me from your video you posted you could possibly stall it up more and launch better with more wheel spin/speed and increase your shiftout rpm to help pull you through the top end.Just what i gather from your vid off the launch

#25 ·
vfm, in your video it seems you are hooking up real good,but i am curious as to what you are stalling your V at for the launch?
To me from your video you posted you could possibly stall it up more and launch better with more wheel spin/speed and increase your shiftout rpm to help pull you through the top end.Just what i gather from your vid off the launch

I'm sorry, I didn't see this til now. I can't quite remember what spring I used in that video. I'm pretty sure it was the orange/blue and a 30 shot. I used a very high stall spring and a 50 shot on another race there, and my friend said he could hear me hitting the rev limiter half track. From things I've read and trying to understand the clutching, I believe I'm needing to go with the higher clutch weights to help over compinsate that. I'm going to be looking into that real soon and get with VFJ for his opinion to. I want to continue to hit a 50 shot so I need to set up accordingly.

#24 ·
VFORCEMADNESS do you have any info on this? I tried googling it and come up with nothing. LOL If anything I may come and watch but would also like to get some times with my new motor....

#26 ·
Hey Skip, not sure which video you are talking about. The first one is at Bedford PA. BLAIR BEDFORD DIRT RACERS INC. The second one is at Surry, VA. The one at Surry is called Slades Park. Not a whole lot of info on that track though, other than it is 380' sand. Bedford is twice a month on Saturday's. I think the 1st and the 3rd one. Then Surry is once a month - every third Sunday. Let me know if you go and you can come meet up with us.

#28 ·
I didn't end up winning that auction. The thing about ANY of those big tires is that they are all so heavy. Those 27x12-10 TSL's are 30 lbs each. I wondering if it would make sense to try to cut out some of the extra rubber between the lugs and maybe shave the lugs down to 1/2 tread depth to save some weight. You also wouldn't need the side lugs for racing. I bet they could be brought down to 24 lbs or under.

#30 · (Edited)
Here is what I got so far!!!

2010 Schedule
ALL RACES MUST BE COMPLETED BY MIDNIGHT OR
WILL BE COMPLETED AT AN AGREED UPON TIME

4-24-10 TEST AND TUNE (12 pm - ?)
5-08-10
5-22-10
6-05-10
6-19-10 "NATIONALS" -- starting 1 hour earlier
7-10-10
7-24-10
8-07-10

8-21-10 "STATES" -- starting 1 hour earlier

8-28-10 Rain Date

9-11-10
9-25-10 Featuring the "Tony Reyan Memorial Big Wheel Shoot-Out"

10-02-10 Rain Date

#31 ·
That's it Skip. If you need anymore specific info, let me know and I'll try to find out for you.

Twyztid - You are right about those TSL's. I would probably want to shave them down to reduce weight. It was because of the weight issue that I started this thread to see if anyone else out here was running a different tire that would be better. I guess due to all the different setups, there is not really one specific tire that is "perfect." My friend Jesse who runs the big wheel motorcycle class has the tool to shave them down. I forget exactly how many pounds he took off his 30" Super Swamper. It was a lot though. I got the idea about the TSL's from a guy that straight kicked my azz there though. He had no problem with 25"er's - unshaved.

#33 ·
Yeah, Z. The tire setup I'm trying to get squared away is for the track on the very first post on here. Kinda hard packed dirt. I feel good about the Blasters for Surry which is sand.

#34 ·
Alright, well, just let me know if you want any help shaving the tires. I have the tools where I work to remove rubber from between the lugs and off the sidewalls, if needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.