Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys after my last thread about tire suggestions and PMing a few guys about there bighorn 2's i decided to give them a try vs the interco reptiles i was considering thanks to all that replied your advice was helpful and i appreciated helping out a new guy. Im pretty excited to see how these bighorns handle south dakota.

However now im on a size dilema. originally i was planning on going to a 26x9-12 on front and 26x11-12 on the rear. however im wondering about staying stock since everyone says these things run big any way.

Ive also seen more and more guys running 25x10-12s on all four corners that i thought made alot of sense (wider tires on front wouldnt fall into ruts as bad and would be more stable as well as better in snow and mud) but not hearing alot of pros or cons to doing that besides rotating saves wear.

Any advice or experiences with any of these set ups with bighorn tires on a brute force 750 would be appreciated!

Thanks again for you guys that know alot more then me about this stuff this forum has been a great help since i bought my brute 750!

·
Registered
571 Posts
go bigger than 25 for sure, bigger tires help with GROUND CLEARANCE, you will always need that, ei. stumps, rocks, mud, snow...
As for the 10'' wide all round, I dont see why not. I have lots of friends that run the same tire all round.... but Id see about going as wide as possible without rubbing on turns with the fronts (11 might be i dont know for sure)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
go bigger than 25 for sure, bigger tires help with GROUND CLEARANCE, you will always need that, ei. stumps, rocks, mud, snow...
As for the 10'' wide all round, I dont see why not. I have lots of friends that run the same tire all round.... but Id see about going as wide as possible without rubbing on turns with the fronts (11 might be i dont know for sure)
i like the same size all around idea. im curious though as to handling with wide tires on the front. I know id be gaining stability. the taller im torn on ya you gain clearance which like ya said is always needed but that also makes the center of gravity higher and more side wall to fold on fast corners too am i correct by saying that? and if they do run almost an inch big like everyone says that would make them almost 27 instead of the stock size being almost 26.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
keep in mind also for your suggestions i ride on some pavement back and forth to work, hard pack trails and gravel roads quite a bit with rocks stumps that stuff thrown in and hunting in the snow. the worst mud i get into is about tire deep mainly just liked the idea for stability and ease of rotating with riding pavement and gravel.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how much harder is the steering? is it cllimb on the fender both hands on one side of the bars or just a bit tighter... i opted for no power steering on my 12 to save the 800 dollars for tires

·
Registered
35 Posts
No it won't be that much harder, but after along days ride you will notice it on your arms,but I'm sure you will get used to it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
We pulled a RZR w/26" big horns up beside a Brute w/28" zillas, and the big horns were taller. By almost an inch. So yes, big horns run big. You won't have any issues clearing the 26's, but you might want to consider a clutch spring change to go along with the heavier tires.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No it won't be that much harder, but after along days ride you will notice it on your arms,but I'm sure you will get used to it.
alright that sounds good... is really the only draw back? do you run this set up on yours? or have? if so was it worth it to you running all size the same

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We pulled a RZR w/26" big horns up beside a Brute w/28" zillas, and the big horns were taller. By almost an inch. So yes, big horns run big. You won't have any issues clearing the 26's, but you might want to consider a clutch spring change to go along with the heavier tires.
thats why im thinkin about staying stock height. stockers are just under 25 and everyone says they run at least 3/4 of an inch taller. that would put the stock size bighorns at 26 inch which is what i was going for. thats interesting that it would be 2 inch bigger though on the 26.

what do the clutch spring kits do and how much do those run? if i run 25x10s all around would this still be a good idea? obviously if i stayed stock size i wouldnt need to correct

·
Registered
571 Posts
you DO NOT NEED new cluth springs, the clutch sping is to help keep belt grip when running HEAVY tires... but your going with "Bighorn's 2.0" and they are light tires...
*If your gonna tell him that why not tell him he might as well go get better axels as well?!*

I dont have aftermarket springs in mine yet and Im running 40Lbs Pitbull Rockers, bike works great and no problems. (I am going to be getting new springs and HMF optimizer soon but thats for better low end performance, his bighorns will not come close to him needing new springs)

As for the 26'' Bighorns running bigger than the 28'' zilla's, it must have been a big difference like that because of the air pressure... if they ran the SAME air pressure on the SAME bike then the tires would be just about equal... Bighorns run big, zilla's run small

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ive run the same size all the way around,also ive run 26 inch big horns and now I run 25 inch 2.0 and im happy with my setup the 26's felt heavy underneath especially if u got the brute off the ground and would hit the fenders,with the 25 2.0 I dont get that its easier to steer on a long ride and definatelty quicker on its feet only con ive seem to find is at times cornering very hard I belive the front wheels have a tendency to get close to the ground,i run beadlocks so it really doesnt matter,ive tried numerous size tires and brands with dozens of different setups,my opinion is unless u plan on staying in the mud and u a more all around rider my setup is the way to go.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ive run the same size all the way around,also ive run 26 inch big horns and now I run 25 inch 2.0 and im happy with my setup the 26's felt heavy underneath especially if u got the brute off the ground and would hit the fenders,with the 25 2.0 I dont get that its easier to steer on a long ride and definatelty quicker on its feet only con ive seem to find is at times cornering very hard I belive the front wheels have a tendency to get close to the ground,i run beadlocks so it really doesnt matter,ive tried numerous size tires and brands with dozens of different setups,my opinion is unless u plan on staying in the mud and u a more all around rider my setup is the way to go.
so as of right now your running 25x10s all around. good and you dont seem to think it steers any heavier? the tire issue is that caused by running low pressure? i do do alot more all around then mud. deepest mud i get into is maybe tire deep but snow is big and rocky trails and hardpack is more what i do with some paved roads since its street legal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts