Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to check all my engine bolts & head torque specs.

On the lt side there is several 8 mm bolts what is the specs

The manual in section 2-7 says crankcase bolts (m8) 20 N-m
and Crankcase bolts (M6) 9.8 N-m

What does the M-8 and M-6 stand for.
There is a couple of 10mm bolts on the lt side also.

I have the check the head bolts also Sec 2-6
Cylinder head bolt (M10) 49N-m I guess this is the 4 in the center
and (M6) 9.8 N-m.

Update ---> I borrowed a torque wrench , Still need to know what bolts have what specs

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
just a tip ... a torque wrench is only good for 75% of it's value ..

if your wrench is a 0-100ft lbs wrench it is only good for 25ftlbs to 75ftlbs ....

you cant use a 1/2 torque to do m6/m8 bolts .. you need a 1/4" inch pound torque ..

just want to save you alot of work... :D

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wooooo Hooooo Sears tools here I come :D Hunny I need a special torque wrench it only cost $400.00.

Sears,homedepot,lowes, don't carry one .
What about the ones in the Harbor freight tools are they worth anything
How about a 3/8 drive torque wrench

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Borrowed a Torque wrench , still need to know what bolts have what specs

·
Registered
515 Posts
bossman all your torque specs are in the 1-3 pdf file of the service manuel , section 2-5 under periodic maintence.
ps. after reading a little farther you are alredy there (sec 1-3). if you go back a few pages it will explain it all. you only have to worry what the in lbs. and ft lbs. are.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I have a service manual coming any day now.
Do all the torque specs come as N-m?
I have a conversion book at work and did at one time have the formula for converting to ft/lbs.

Is 1/4 " torque the best all around size to get the jobs on the V done?

Sorry Boss---needed to ask. :)

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Vance700@Mar 1 2005, 05:54 PM
I have a service manual coming any day now.
Do all the torque specs come as N-m?
I have a conversion book at work and did at one time have the formula for converting to ft/lbs.

Is 1/4 " torque the best all around size to get the jobs on the V done?

Sorry Boss---needed to ask. :)
a 3/8 will work but it has to go from 0 lbs to 75lbs,most start from 25 lbs and go up.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok found the case bolts
service manual

9-2 & 9-3 shows pics of bolts and torque specs
9-9
9-12
Still looking for head specs

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my son a 2003 lakota 300 sport I’m changing the front rocket and the engine case behind it as the previous owner the chain came off n cracked the case.... I have all the new parts can anyone tell me the torque specks on these bolts and for the nut to the sprocket also! I’d super appreciate it

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought my son a 2003 lakota 300 sport I’m changing the front rocket and the engine case behind it as the previous owner the chain came off n cracked the case.... I have all the new parts can anyone tell me the torque specks on these bolts and for the nut to the sprocket also! I’d super appreciate it
You might try posting over in the Kawasaki Mojave/Lakota forum to see if anyone has a manual with the specs. I checked Manualslib.com and nothing showed up there. You may have to pony up $15 to get one from Tradebit.com:

KAWASAKI LAKOTA 300 2004 KEF300-B4 SERVICE MANUAL - Tradebit

It's well worth it if you're planning to keep the quad for a while. Otherwise, you can go by general torque specs for things like the case covers.

Small fasteners, like 8 or 10 mm don't need a ton of torque. It's usually something like (6.5 foot pounds / 78 inch pounds) of torque. For a sprocket, I'd lookup a similar chain driven Kawasaki and see what it calls for. It's probably around 90 foot pounds. This is for a KFX450R:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts