Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found these on the shelf today that had been forgotten about. Cams that were traded in on newer grinds.
1 set of our old full race 557 grind cams, no flakes $200.
1 set 557's, one exh lobe is flaked. Still runable or could be repaired. $150
1 set 89's (our OLD trail/race) all lobes flaked but still could be ran, repaired or used for cores. $100

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
How does the profile/performance of the 557 cams compare to FST Stage 2 cams? Do you have any close up pics of the flaked area on the set of 557's that is flaked?

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
Which set is the ones on the right in the pic? Are the decompression pins gone on that set?

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How does the profile/performance of the 557 cams compare to FST Stage 2 cams? Do you have any close up pics of the flaked area on the set of 557's that is flaked?
I believe the fst stg2's are 0.400" lift and 240 deg @0.050". the 557's are 0.440" lift and 258/260 deg at 0.050".
Those were the cam's that were in JK's 4.08 sec 300ft sand times and Stephans 3.9 sec 300ft and 4.8 sec 400ft runs so they do work pretty good with the right setup. No where near our new cams but for someone that wants a cheap set of cams, you can make decent power with them.

I can get some better pic's tomorrow, I think it was just the one exh lobe that had any amount of flaking but it did have a fair bit. Those cams were ran for 1.5-2 years with no rocker problems. All the flaking happens in the first few hours of running and then they usually don't get worse.
We have a set with no flaking for $200 as well.

Ray

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which set is the ones on the right in the pic? Are the decompression pins gone on that set?
The one's on the right are the 557's with no flaking. Yes the decomps are out of those cams and the welds are all good on that set. We wouldn't have had decomps in any for years but when we started having the holes welded up, we had a bunch that the welds fell off there as well so back then we went back to leaving the decomps in untill we made our new cams.
Ray

1 - 5 of 5 Posts