Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just decided that I might as well do a review for you guys on here.

Out here at Ellsworth Air Force Base in South Dakota, ATV's are street legal and I felt that I would be able to save gas by making my trusty KFX400 a part time road warrior so I can use it around base and save gas as compared to my rumbling 2001 Dodge Ram, with that thirsty Magnum 318 engine. So I gathered up some parts off of Ebay for the small stuff, like a horn, a push button killswitch to be modded into a horn button, a mirror, and a parking brake block off plate (Because who needs that silly mess anyways...).

So I went to the dealer just 5 minutes from the base, Black Hills Powersports, and started talking about speedometer systems. Right from the start we realized that a system from Trail Tech was going to be an obvious choice and after some talking I decided that the Vector line suited my needs the best. They were able to help me out a lot through out the entire process of picking and choosing, great guys to work with.

Now onto the review, finally. When you open the box, you have to keep in mind that these kits are model specific, but are still not a custom fit to the KFX400 since the kit required for the KFX is also the same kit for KTMs, YFZs, and a few Polaris models. They give you the connector for power, a wiring harness for the temperatore sensor, and a wiring harness for the speed sensor. Also included are the bits and pieces such as, a magnetic bolt, a spare magnet, and two plastic mounts for putting the computer on the handlebars. This is something that they do not tell you on Trail Tech's website. In the kit they DO INCLUDE A MOUNTING SYSTEM!! All Trail Tech says is that their fancy $100 dashboard is not included. I would recommend the dashboard, since it would look a lot cleaner on the handlebars than with the included plastic mount.

Due to space reasons on the handlebars, I had to mount the computer on my leftside handlebar. Mounting it up had no issues whatsoever. Pretty painless. To run the power wires I placed it under the body work and to the battery. You can also wire this into the lights, ignition, etc. But since I decided to mount my computer up high on the handlebars as opposed to direct center, I had to lengthen the wires. No big deal, just cut and splice.

For the speedometer, us KFX400 guys start getting creative. The opportune way to do this is replace a bolt that holds the rotor to the hub with the included magnetic faced bolt. Unfortunately, the bolt has the wrong threads because, keep in mind, that this kit was meant for several different models and makes of ATV's. What we have to do is grab the spare magnet and place it inside the rotor itself by squeezing it in a gap on the rotor. I used a file to widen a slot in the rotor and JB Welded it in place. For the sensor itself, again we need to be creative. What we need to do here is grab our brake rotor shield and mark out a spot that the magnet will pass over exactly. This is important because if the magnet is only half over, it will not trigger the sensor. It is very touchy. Use a drill and drill out the spot for the sensor to pass through and secure the sensor there with a nut on either side of the shield. Adjust it so that there is about 1/2 an inch between the magnet and the sensor. Do not tighten down until you are getting some feedback from your computer. To test for this, just spin the hub and see if it is picking up on the computer. Then loctite all nuts and bolts, etc.

I will have to come back and edit this post when I eventually install the temperature sensor. The sensor is just a wire harness connected to a coupler that goes inside the radiator hose. So what will need to be done is draining the radiator, cutting the hose and slipping this in. I will fill you in with all of this later and to tell you how well it works.

After all of this, I have given a test run to see how well it reacts. The speedometer seems to operate very smoothly. As far as accuracy goes, I have no idea yet, since my tape measure has "disappeared" and I didn't have a car to check it with at the time. When I update this later I will include this. Since many of us use different sized front tires, the system does allow you to digitally change your tire size to make your speed readings more accurate, and as I said before about the tape measure, I have no way of measuring tire rollout (the system measures tire size by rollout, the distance a tire will travel in one full turn).

I will check back later once I get some more wheel time on this computer system and when I install the temperature sensor. I know I haven't covered everything people would want to know, so just leave questions and I will try to answer them the best I can. In the meantime, here are some pics.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just realised something I did wrong here.

Apparently, my camera didn't know what day it was. It thinks the date is in the year of 2004. Do not believe that, because I took the pictures in January of 2010.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: Finally got the temerature module installed and it reads out perfectly! I definately feel better when riding my KFX400 because I don't have to worry about if I am overheating the beast or not. Right now I have set the warning temp at 200 degrees and the overheat light to come on at 230 degrees. Does that sound like a good setting to you guys, suggestions are welcome for this.

Other than that, the speed read out is right on the money. I had it radared and I was showing a difference of less than .5 mph. Pretty damn good if you ask me. I give this setup a 8/10 rating since the install was less than easy. If you read through this, you will know what I mean. Awesome job TrailTech!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just wanted to say thanks for the info, I have been looking at some setups like this and this information is definately useful.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have the same unit. The only thing I didnt care for and they said that there was nothing they can do about it right now is that the outdoor temp that it reads is off. You just got to do some simple math in your head and you will be fine. The temp it reads for outdoors is always 10 degrees higher. But I still need to do the speed setup. Going to do that this weekend with my android phone's GPS to get that dead on. Other than that great unit. I too use my quad on the roads and passing the police doing 60 in a 45 smiling and waving is always nervous.

·
Super Moderator
9,448 Posts
Wolf,
Good write-up! I installed an Acewell 3200 tach/speedo/odometer/temp guage on my KFX 700 recently and I really like having all of that info. (it should come stock from the factory if you ask me!).

Just curious, what kind of gas mileage does your KFX 400 get on the roads? I believe my KFX 700 and my Prairie 650/700s usually get around 12 mph on the trails, but I'm usually riding it hard and those machines are very heavy. Unfortunately, ATVs are not street legal here in Texas, so I don't know what kind of mph my quads get on the roads.

Happy trails...:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.