Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 88 t4 has been out for a while, ive been too busy with work to fix it. i was riding and my gear shifter fell off so i pull into the garage and instead of loosening the screw on the gear shifter i pound away with a hammer to put it back on and next thing you know a $h**! load of oils pouring out from the other side of the gearbox?? im guessing the gear shifter shaft caused the quarted size hole on the other side?? so i need to know if this dameged anything else? and how i can patch the whole? (jb weald and sheet metal)?? also how much and what kind of oil???

·
Registered
230 Posts
:huh:...LOL well you probably bent the shift shaft fork and busted a hole in the case when you improperly using a hammer insted of a wrench or socket.... You need to pull that clutch cover off and inspect the parts inside before you break anything else. There may be broken parts inside that cover and you dont want to just throw JB weld on it and start riding without making sure nothing inside is broke...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks, if nothing is broke is it ok to just seal it up with sheet metal? also how would i oil it back up? what kind and how much oil? as you can probably tell im a NOOB. im sure nothing is broken though cause i bolted the shifter back up and it shifts fine, i just havent started it yet cause of the hole and i wanted to make sure with you guys??

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Sounds like you need a new clutch cover. Post pics of the damage.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Sounds like you need a new clutch cover. Post pics of the damage.
At least take it to a welder an have them Tig it... Much better and more reliable than JB weld and scrap metal. Probably only cost you about $30.00 to have a welder fix it. If your just riding and not racing use either 80 or 85wt MTL manual trans lubricant. I prefer Spectro or Maxima myself. Cant remember the amount off the top of my head I want to say its 750cc I could be wrong. It says on the side of the case usually marked with an ML or L next to it.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I just fill it up to the top of the sight glass.

·
Registered
272 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts