Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I got a problem . Just came back from Glamis last night and while i was out there I had a problem that got progressively worse. The problem was at first the bike ran really good I was running bills pipe then switched to the shear pipe that really opened her up then then next day . I took her out close to camp had a couple of races then the bike started cutting out or shutting down even while i was down shifting and still lite on the throttle After every pass . I had to make a pass sit for a few minutes then she'd kick rite over and make another pass then at the end she would cut out again . Well it started to get worse so i thought that maybe it was the pilot jet checked that and everything else in the carb and it checked out ok . It's now to the point that it won't start . Carb is clean ,new stator,new flywheel, filter's clean, new plug .What do you guys think ? My guess is the CDI but I'm not sure . Anybody got any ideas?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I am more of a T4 guy but I have heard the CDI boxes are known to take a crap on the tecate 3. I would also check your coil. I had this happen to my T4 and it was the boot on the coil wire that had worked loose from the wire. This sounds like it is electrical to me. i would start at your stator and check resistances and work your way up through your cdi and then to your coil?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I doubt it's the stator,it's new from Ricky Stator. And the plug boot is nice and tight . Is there a way to test the CDI?

·
Registered
880 Posts
so you changed pipes.. didn't change jetting and it started cutting out badly at WOT? sounds to me like your main was a bit small... did it kind of sound like a rev limiter? did you try switching back to the bills pipe? peopel are too quick to jump on a part and blame it... you need to take a step back and think about what you did to it.. and if there wer adverse effects did you try returning it to the state in which it didn't have the issue.. i'm not saying your problem isn't electrical.. but centering your thinking aroudn it will get you know where if it;s not an electrical issue.. start simple.. thats the best way to address a runability problem..

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Changed pipes didn't change jetting but she ran even better.no problems with pipe change,that was at night. Oh and i was running VP110 gas . In the morning @9:30 I ran the bike the same way and it made like 2 passes no problem then it started to cut out . The passes were at full throttle after letting it warm up. Also right before i made the morning passes I refilled with 91 octane . i was reading an article today that says that running low octane on a 2-stroke set up for racing and performance can cause a lean condition . But that wasn't the problem I think. When I got her back to camp I pulled the plug nd it was fouled with fuel and was dark brown. I don't think it was running too rich ,but I do think it was loading up when I was rolling off the throttle. And no I didn't go back to the bills pipe, figured i didn't need to since it was running fine with the shear pipe .

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked the coil today and it looks to be out of spec on the primary side and within spec but low on the secondary. Got a used coil from a blaster gonna try that . I also found a Good used CDI locally so if its that I can get one . Man this is killing me ,it was running so good too. Hope this gets worked out by tommorrow, I planned on going back out to glamis this weekend

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
put the coil from the blaster and it fired up but as soon as i started to put it in gear it died and wouldn't start.Mind you it wasn't warmed up I just tried to move out out to the street from the drive way.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Figued it out it was the stator I checked it and sure enuf it's a week old and already took a dump. Gotta call them and see if they will take it back and give me another one .

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, when I pulled the stator off I was looking at it and it looked like the screw securing the black wire to the coil was loose . I still returned it . but befor i put the new one on I took the screws out and put blue threadlocker on them to make sure it doesn't happen again. So now i'm of to GLAMIS!!!!!!!!!!:rock: Got my fingers cross that nothing else happens .

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went back out to Glamis and she ran like a bat outta hell. Raced it alot and she stayed consistent, unlike it's owner. I had trouble shifting in the whoops, at Oldsmobile Hill. then on saturday she seized cuz I made a huge mistake and jetted down on jet size , but it got colder and on the way to the hill she quit. So now i gotta decide to build the motor up or try and go with a kx500 swap. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anybody know of a place localy ,Socal , that can plate the cylinder? well first I gotta get the damn cylinder off . Cuz that thing is stuck good. how can i get it off ?

·
Registered
60 Posts
So now i gotta decide to build the motor up or try and go with a kx500 swap. Any thoughts?
fixing the engine that you have is likely far cheaper than buying a kx500 engine and also a new pipe... not to mention the kx500 engine swap would require a complete reconstruction of the engine cradle and other frame mods to work. a Kx500 swap is much easier on the '86 models

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
loosen the jug nuts.. pull upward and then take a hammer handle and knock the top of the piston.. til it pops free.. your about guraanteed to ruin the plating i bet.
Thanks for the advise. I'm gonna take this down probably this weekend so i can try and get in a few more rides before the seasons over.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[/quote]

fixing the engine that you have is likely far cheaper than buying a kx500 engine and also a new pipe... not to mention the kx500 engine swap would require a complete reconstruction of the engine cradle and other frame mods to work. a Kx500 swap is much easier on the '86 models[/QUOTE]
yeah after looking at it and researching some I'm gonna have to get a kx 500 bike to do the swap. just don't know which is more cost effective ,either building up or the swap

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well ,i decided to just build up the motor, not that anybody really cares ,but now i am looking for another motor so i can have a back up. I now need to find someone to port the jug and then replate it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yep the KX has a waaaayyy better port layout plus it bolts right up. There may be some good guys down there that do port work. If you wanted to send it up to WA I have a guy that will make it really nice and can have it replated. The replating will take the longest at a 3 week turnaround right now. My T4 will be done in a month or so he is helping me make it into a 350cc bore only. :D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts