Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my BFG AT's. I'm looking for a cheaper alternative. What are you guys using? I was looking at the General Grabber AT2 and the Nitto Terra Grapplers. Any opinons on these two tires?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
never had them.. i have the kumho road venture AT's on my f150 and they work well. i had BFGs before and it just seemed like once they got down to half tread, they didn't have very good traction anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Yeah that's what I thought of the BFG All-Terrains....I'm on my second set of Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor's now....have nothing but good things to say about them traction wise....lot's of mud, snow and ice and good wear. That's on my NISMO Frontier

On my old full size GM I swore by the Toyo AT's...they came on the recommendation of the tire shop that supplied a lot of loggers in our area...I'd still be running them but the Nissan isn't heavy enough for them. Never had a flat Toyo in 10yrs

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm runnin cooper discoverer STT's on my 97 dodge 1500. I love em, grab like crazy in snow, mud, and wear pretty good on the highway. A little more agressive than the bfg's but they still aren't crazy agressive. Not sure what prices your seein but i got 285/75/16's for 185 bucks mounted and balanced. Didn't think that was too bad.

·
Premium Member
10,240 Posts
I have worked for a tire company for almost 21 years now so hopefully I can give you some direction.

The General Grabber AT2's are pretty new and I think you might have a hard time finding many people that have used them until wearout yet. They are very close to the same tread pattern as the BFG All-Terrains but the grooves are more open and they are cheaper.

Another tire that we are selling a lot of but haven't really had any wear out yet is the Hankook Dynapro ATm RF10. They have a very good tread pattern for all-around use and haven't had ANY bad feedback from anyone that we have sold them to yet.

On my own 1/2-ton Chevy Silverado Z-71, for the summer I am running 33/12.50R17 Dick Cepek FC II tires and I love them. They look cool and wear great but they are a bit expensive. The one downside that I have experienced is that I can spin them pretty easily on wet pavement but a lot of that comes from the wider width that I have. I just took them off for the winter and now have 42,500 miles on them (over 4 summers). They started with 20/32" tread depth and all 4 currently have 12/32" remaining. At the rate they are wearing I could remove them at 6/32" tread depth and have over 70,000 miles on them.

What year/make/model are these for? We have found certain tires to wear better on certain trucks than others.

·
Premium Member
10,240 Posts
I'm runnin cooper discoverer STT's on my 97 dodge 1500. I love em, grab like crazy in snow, mud, and wear pretty good on the highway. A little more agressive than the bfg's but they still aren't crazy agressive. Not sure what prices your seein but i got 285/75/16's for 185 bucks mounted and balanced. Didn't think that was too bad.
ANY mud tire will do a LOT worse on hard-pack snow, ice, or wet roads than any all-terrain tire. There is no siping in mud tires and with the more open tread design they just don't have enough biting edges to grab on hard, slick surfaces. I am not saying they won't work. I am just saying that if you don't need a mud tire (for off-roading) and aren't looking to get them for the looks, there are better tires out there that will wear better. In the winter, the only thing a mud tire will do better than a good all-terrain tire is traction in deep snow or slush.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts

·
Registered
8,165 Posts
Yes, the General Grabber AT 2's are a very nice tire. I too had BFG's and fukkin hated them after a few miles were put on them. I cringe every time I hear someone talk good about them. Dad has Uniroyal Laredo AWT's on his Silverado, got about 30 grand on them and they still have a shitload of tread and are wearing real nice, they are awsome in the snow and offroad. I keep them balanced and rotate them every 7,000 miles. I had Firestone Destination AT's on my lifted Grand Cherokee, also a great tire. A guy at work managed to get close to 70K on a set of the Destination AT's. The Nittos are a good wearing tire, but they aren't the greatest in the rain. They are nice on the road and on hardpack for sure, suck in the rain/snow. Neighbor has close to 60K on his. Michelin has a new AT out, Michelin LTX (I think) AT2. A guy at work just bought a set and don't even have 1000 miles on them yet. But, he said they are very good in the snow.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replys guys. I drive a 2001 Toyota Tundra so its not a huge heavy truck. I got 50,000 miles on the BFG's so I can't complain about tread life. They are slicks now and I need something that works in the snow. I also pull a travel trailer in the summer. I liked the BFG's but I think they are overpriced. I've read lots of reviews but they don't help much. One guy loves a certain brand and the next guy hates them!

·
Premium Member
10,240 Posts
I hear what you are saying. I think you would like the Hankook Dynapro ATm RF10 for that truck and it will be WAY less price than anything BFGoodrich, Goodyear, Bridgestone, Michelin.

It looks like your truck takes either a 245/70R16 or a 265/70R16 tire. You should be able to pick up a set of the 265/70R16 for under $600 installed (the 245/70R16 would be less).

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was looking at the Hankook. They do look nice. My stock size is 265/70/16. When I put the BFG's on I went with 265/75/16. Do you have an opinion on going to the larger size? The 70's seemed to be more cause they were not a popular size.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
i like my kumhos, but i only have about 15,000 on them right now. you are giving me ideas on what my next set will be though if these dont work out :p

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
i have a 2003 tundra and run mich ltx 2's on my truck. drives smooth and is great in the snow. i paid $156 per tire. which is a smoking deal. those beefy type tires loose there ride quality in a short time. what ever tire you choose do an alignment and keep your tires rotated...

·
Registered
99 Posts
i think i bought them michlen ltx at/2 for my 07 tundra good tires expensive but you get alot of miles on michlens we get around 75000 hard miles on our work trucks with michlens you al know how hard they drive company vehicles and we also pull trailers

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
my friends brother is a manager at a tire dealer. i was told that was cost. i would think retail is over $200/tire. i also plow two drive ways.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
i always run michelin and BFG, mainly because i get them for a song.. there are 3 michelin plants in NS and employees get so many free sets and alot of them sell them for a good deal.. i just put 4 new 33x12.5 bfg mud terrain km2s on my k5 blazer for $500 :D

a really good wearing tire is the michelin LTX.. they wear like steel, i never found the bfg ats to wear too great but they look good..

·
Premium Member
10,240 Posts
I was looking at the Hankook. They do look nice. My stock size is 265/70/16. When I put the BFG's on I went with 265/75/16. Do you have an opinion on going to the larger size? The 70's seemed to be more cause they were not a popular size.
Yes, you should be able to stay with the 265/75R16 without a problem. The 265/70R16 is a common size just not as common as the 265/75R16.

Twyztid, Do I go with the LT or the P?
The P-Metric size will give a better ride and will be sufficient for load carrying for that truck. Depending on what tire you choose you may have to go with the LT size. For instance, I believe the BFG All-Terrains that you have now are LT because that is the only way they make that tire. Some tires have the size both ways. The LT tires will always cost more. Keep an eye out for the tread depth. Sometimes the P rated tires have as much as 4/32" less tread depth. For instance, the P265/75R16 Hankook Dynapro ATm has 13/32" tread depth but the LT265/75R16 has 16.5/32". Also, if you go with the P rated tire you will usually get a mileage warranty. Mileage warranties don't apply to any LT tire.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts