Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres another new product that is very much needed for just about every Kawy V twin. Our Ultimate Water Pump kit.
It increases flow 22-26% through out the RPM range and makes a HUGE difference in engine temp.
Final testing was done on a 150HP race 800, flow was mapped from idle to 9500 RPM. One of the engine cooling effect tests we did was bringing coolant temp to 140 deg, load engine at partial throttle 70HP at 7300-7500 RPM. Rad fan unhooked and a small fan blowing on the rad constantly, basically the worst conditions possible, high load/low airflow. With the stock water pump it takes 48sec to go from 140 to 200 deg and keeps climbing.
With our water pump, same conditions we never got to 200 deg, even after 90 sec temps were still in the 180 range and then going to full power at 9000-9500RPM the temps actually lowered and doesn't spike after you go to idle like the stk pump does.
Retails for $199 Cnd

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
Do you have to run 3 stacked gaskets due to the length of the impeller???

they have them for the Teryx for a while now. but they aren't that long as the ones you have. I have one here for the Teryx from another company that I didn't install.

they are a little different

cool to see new parts being made.

John

·
Premium Member
16,646 Posts
It looks like it comes with a spacer and two gaskets.

·
Registered
477 Posts
looks good and sounds like it works but thats alot of dough but if it works like you say should be good investment

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have to run 3 stacked gaskets due to the length of the impeller???

they have them for the Teryx for a while now. but they aren't that long as the ones you have. I have one here for the Teryx from another company that I didn't install.

they are a little different

cool to see new parts being made.

John
The kit comes with a spacer so we can run the extra depth on the viens. The shape of our also keeps it from cavitating at all RPMs so you get a constant flow all the time. There are alot of "so called" high flow water pumps available for many applications and if you actually test most of them they are no better then stk and some not as good.
If you look at the one in the picture you posted you can imagine how those flat viens cause cavitation and drag, epsecially at higher RPMs.
Ray

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looks good and sounds like it works but thats alot of dough but if it works like you say should be good investment
Yep, probably not the cheapest water pump on the market, but they work and work VERY well. In the end, would you rather pay $60-$100 US for something that doesn't do much or $180US for something that really works??:)
Ray

·
Super Moderator
12,536 Posts
That would be great for the muddin' guys and the high horsepower BBK's

·
Premium Member
23,817 Posts
what is the best temperature efficiency/performance wise?

are you having a problem with overheating?

you can also move the water to fast through the radiator and not get proper cooling

on your testing did you have the thermostat in place

perhaps on the Terex with the engine enclosed it could probably use some help.

on the quads with a properly maintained cooling system, overheating shouldn't be an issue

·
Premium Member
23,817 Posts
well did a little search, answered one of my questions. Peak efficiency is achieved between 180 and 210* in an IC engine. That's almost exactly what the stock radiator fan switch cuts on and off at:)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ray I want one! Will this be a good addition for a 4x4 quad or only benefit race engines? My 784 doesn't overheat but it does run hot. With this and an oil cooler kit it should be good for our winter riding in deep snow! They seem to run hotter in the winter believe it or not...

Let me know and I'll call you in a few days to order one...

·
Registered
565 Posts
My Brute has run hot since almost day one.
Throw some mud in the rad and it just gets worse.

·
Premium Member
22,490 Posts
well did a little search, answered one of my questions. Peak efficiency is achieved between 180 and 210* in an IC engine. That's almost exactly what the stock radiator fan switch cuts on and off at:)
Exactly! That's why you need a thermostat. My bike still runs hot in the sandbox. It is a well maintained cooling system I may add. Sounds like a bigger waterpump may be the ticket.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
i will take one of these if u can add it to my bill and send it back with the carbs and plenum when your all done:tup:

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ray I want one! Will this be a good addition for a 4x4 quad or only benefit race engines? My 784 doesn't overheat but it does run hot. With this and an oil cooler kit it should be good for our winter riding in deep snow! They seem to run hotter in the winter believe it or not...

Let me know and I'll call you in a few days to order one...
Our water pump benefits everything from a stk motor to a monster turbo. It just keeps the motor cooler and a more constant temp, and not just taking the varience out of the coolant temp but keeping all parts of the engine at a more constant temp. Less "hot spots"
Thanks,
Ray

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
If you have the 20 fin aluminum coolers in your lines will the smaller ID of them and the Temp insert slow the flow of this water pump----Thanks

Kenny

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you have the 20 fin aluminum coolers in your lines will the smaller ID of them and the Temp insert slow the flow of this water pump----Thanks

Kenny
We haven't tested with the 20 fin aluminum cooler but we have tested with and without our flow meter which is only a 3/8" diameter bore so we could see the actual flow difference vrs temp difference. I thought the flow meter would have made the temp differences less but it didn't, same cooler temps over time with the flow meter. So unless it's less then a 3/8" diameter bore on the cooler I would say you would get the same gain. Having a restricted spot in the cooling system just increase the velocity at that spot from our testing but the end result was always the same, a cooler engine with less temp change throught the engine.
Ray

·
Premium Member
22,490 Posts
Put one aside for me too Ray. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Flow is good it is controlled by the amount flowed out to maintain temp as holding it in the radiator determines what the block head is doing you make your own solid wafer to control what fuel air HP is by drilling the wafer this pends on fuel and HP? made and exchnger size and air flow ...dragging wide open or putting...200 is ideal no matter what the experts say...oil within 10* degrees ,,,turbos its where the fuel curve hits and brg clr...and valve guide clr for fast growth ...it comes on quick and flow is everything and these motors reqire diffent specs than naturally aspirated motors...jh

1 - 20 of 168 Posts