Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found out by tapping on the actuator while the 4wd button was engaged brought it in to four wheel drive and simply switching it t 2wd will put it back in to 2wd. So the actuator works one way and needs to be replaced. The next problem is it seem that the diff lock is stuck. The lever works but even with the diff lock assembly off the differential it still locks the front end up and is a hard to steer in 2wd. My question is do I need to replace my differential? It just seems the diff lok is on and something in side of it is still locked. I really need help because I wanna be able to ride soon. Thanks

·
Registered
711 Posts
The diff lock works on a ball and ramp setup .There are two plates with tapered ramped groves in them and little metal balls in each grove.One plate is locked in place while the other rotates when you pull the lever.When this happens the balls travel up the ramps and separate the two plate putting pressure on the clutches.This locks the diff.If there is excessive wear in the clutches and /or balls there could be enough space between the two plates for the balls to go past the ramps and keep the plates apart .If you are mechanically inclined , you can dissassemble the diff and replace these parts.

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
the front diff is easy to work on. its just the matter of getting it out. and pulling it apart, cleaning everything. and then its about putting it back together and the last thing is putting it back in the machine and adjusting that diff locker cable.
if you can read and follow things step by step. get a service manual and rebuild it. its cheaper then buying a new unit. or taking a chance on a used unit. witch might need rebuiling also.l

1 - 3 of 3 Posts