Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, can valves being out of adjustment affect the RPM's at which the V will run?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes it will. My V lost 10mph on topend when mine were out! Noticed it was rappin kinda slow and it was getting hard to start when it was cold! Reset'em to spec and she was back to herself!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! With your 12 hole mod, what jetting are you using?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, your sig already told me, didnt catch it. Are your needles shimmed?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah I got 1 #4 washer under each needle. You will love the 12 hole mod it really wakes'em up and it sounds awsome threw the carbs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can I do the 12 hole mod with a k&n filter? You suggest about 160/165 mains? Any needle clip adjustments? Do you just slide the #4 washer onto the needle and reassemble it? I have also read about cutting the spring, is that also something I would need to do to pull this off?

Sorry for all the ?'s, just have alot to get my head around! Thanks :eek:

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Can I do the 12 hole mod with a k&n filter? You suggest about 160/165 mains? Any needle clip adjustments? Do you just slide the #4 washer onto the needle and reassemble it? I have also read about cutting the spring, is that also something I would need to do to pull this off?

Sorry for all the ?'s, just have alot to get my head around! Thanks :eek:
Questions is what the forum is all about----If you have clips on the needles, then they are after market and the guys are going to steer you back to the stock needles and then put one washer on each---Also your jets should be Keihin---Cause when they call out jet sizes they are referring to Keihin---And no 160 won't be enough---Depending on your altitude you'll be closer to the 180's----Scroll around and read a bunch of the guys sigs in their posts to get an idea.

Kenny

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Kenny4! This may well be my next project. I still need to know if the K&N is OK to do this with, and do I need to cut the springs? For education sake, can you explain the needle setup to me? It is my understanding that when jetting, the pilot sets up the first 1/4 throttle, the clips do from 1/4 to roughly 3/4, and the mains take over from 3/4 to full out. If this is true, how do we adjust our "mid range throttle" if our needles do not have this clip adjustment?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
The K&N is fine---Lots of the guys still running it---Be sure the bottom is sealed with a little grease---When you can afford it---The Twin Air Power Flow Kit is a little better as it breathes from sides and the top allowing you the maximum flow---A whole bunch of guys from Utah use the Dyna Kit, (higher elevation), with the clips and say it works great for them---So they would be the guys to chime in on that----But still the majority on here use Keihin as I said above---Changing the pilot size would be the only way to change fuel flow at low/mid range---The needles for idle--ie a shim=a little more flow---Pilot overlaps the needle as you gas it and then the mains kick in overlapping the pilots---And at wot pretty much the mains---Can't get er perfect with seat of the pants tuning but pretty darn close to excellent running---The springs don't have to be cut--But they give a little quicker response on the slides---MAKE SURE WHEN YOU PUT THE RUBBER DIAPHRAMS BACK IN TO BE SURE THEY ARE SEALED PROPERLY, (watch how they come out and put a tad of grease on the edges to help hold them in place while you put the black caps back on).

Kenny

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool! Thanks for all of the outstanding info! I managed to get the valves adjusted this weekend. What a difference! Bike starts right up, it has never started this easy or fast, even after I took it to the dealership last year and had them do the valves. It revs faster, returns to idle faster, idles rock steady at 1100 RPM (which it has also never done), everything just seems better! I am getting a little popping on acceleration / deceleration now, where I wasn't before. I think the main jets are too small now (145F/148R, check my sig for current mods). When I change them to a larger size, is there something I need to adjust on the pilots too, or just change out the mains? I am going to look around for a new airbox lid and carb springs for the mod, so I don't mess up the stock ones. I'll track down the #4 washers, and order some fatty jets! BTW, my pilots are already 43's. I'll take a look and see how the shop set up my A/F screws too. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Cool! Thanks for all of the outstanding info! I managed to get the valves adjusted this weekend. What a difference! Bike starts right up, it has never started this easy or fast, even after I took it to the dealership last year and had them do the valves. It revs faster, returns to idle faster, idles rock steady at 1100 RPM (which it has also never done), everything just seems better! I am getting a little popping on acceleration / deceleration now, where I wasn't before. I think the main jets are too small now (145F/148R, check my sig for current mods). When I change them to a larger size, is there something I need to adjust on the pilots too, or just change out the mains? I am going to look around for a new airbox lid and carb springs for the mod, so I don't mess up the stock ones. I'll track down the #4 washers, and order some fatty jets! BTW, my pilots are already 43's. I'll take a look and see how the shop set up my A/F screws too. Thanks again!
Well good for you on the valve adjusting---The 43 pilot is too rich---Order stock 40 and a couple 42's when you order jets---You need to stop for a minute and think ahead what mods on the list your going to do---If it's 12 hole you'll probably be at 182-185 and stock 40 pilots---Just try to slow it down and do one mod at a time so if there is a prob you can easily trace it.

Kenny

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.