Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is anyone using one of these on their teryx? i built a std bore fundy 09 sport for a buddy and have been trying to get it setup right since.. the main problem im having is getting rid of the hesetation when you stab the throttle.. sofar its in the - numbers in the VE table from 1300-1500 and its seemed to help alot, leaned the enrichment values out to the point where a step richer or leaner makes it worse so its good there..

is it just something you have to live with when you use a VDI? i have read everything on the velocity devices site 20 times, played with everything on the tables that has anything to do with the problem and the hesetation just wont go away..

another problem we had was cold starting.. if the machine was left outside for any amount of time it wouldnt start unless you put the stock ecu back in.. i think we have that sorted out now and its running good everywhere other than that fking hesetation.. even when the motor was stock it was there with the vdi.. any pointers?

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
It's not the VDI. it's the pulse signal to the Map sensor going wild with larger cams.

I found out how to override/modify the signal to the sensor. you also have to disable the IAC box and modify the vent lines to the map sensor to eliminate the false signals.

It starts easier, hits 10x as hard out of the hole and gains about 9 rwhp over leaving everything stock like it was.

I figured it was the timing. but it wasn't. if you hook a volt meter to the map sensor and chart the voltage you'll see it's from min-max 200 times then as it gains speed 10-12 mph it smooths out

bigger injectors is also a necessity. I have matched sets of 24 pound 4 hole and 27 pound 12 hole keihin injectors here in stock. stock red ones are only 17-19 pound.

John

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not the VDI. it's the pulse signal to the Map sensor going wild with larger cams.

I found out how to override/modify the signal to the sensor. you also have to disable the IAC box and modify the vent lines to the map sensor to eliminate the false signals.

It starts easier, hits 10x as hard out of the hole and gains about 9 rwhp over leaving everything stock like it was.

I figured it was the timing. but it wasn't. if you hook a volt meter to the map sensor and chart the voltage you'll see it's from min-max 200 times then as it gains speed 10-12 mph it smooths out

bigger injectors is also a necessity. I have matched sets of 24 pound 4 hole and 27 pound 12 hole keihin injectors here in stock. stock red ones are only 17-19 pound.

John
i told him to buy a carbed one.:rolleyes:. its getting pleanty of fuel with the stock injectors, why does it need the bigger ones? also what do you need to do with the vent lines, just add more length or bigger hose so the signal is weaker? also what did you do to disable the iac motor, unpluging it will throw a code correct?

i just called him and he said it was doing it with the stock motor/vdi also, and said the hesitation is almost gone since we played with it again saturday, but if we can make it better with your method that would be great!

thanks for the help john :)

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
awsome, i will have to try that out! i think the owner of the teryx called you last week about how to tune the vdi, i will tell him to call again and order a set of injectors.. its good to see someone is on top of these efi machines..

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Kujo I think this is what John did to mine. We had to bad VDI's and I would rather spend a couple more $$$ then have to worry about the VDI. More money yes but not near as many problems. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kujo I think this is what John did to mine. We had to bad VDI's and I would rather spend a couple more $$$ then have to worry about the VDI. More money yes but not near as many problems. Good luck with it.

what were the problems with the vdi's? my buddy just called me and said today it wouldnt start outside when the other day it would.. its like it has a mind of its own.. its really starting to make me pull my hair out :mad:

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
another problem we had was cold starting.. if the machine was left outside for any amount of time it wouldnt start unless you put the stock ecu back in.. i think we have that sorted out now and its running good

Kujo, how'd you get that problem solved? I took mine out because unless it's warm, my Teryx will not start with the VDI. I can put the stock one on and it fires almost instantly. If I have the Teryx in the garage and the heat on for awhile it's fine. Can you point me in the right direction, I'd much rather have it installed.

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
The ones I had neither would start the machine. just backfire like a shotgun going off. sometimes start for 1 second.

You could always get the MSD. they have been working fine. I havent heard one failure yet. they are about 400 bucks

John

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
might be the plan, sucks after paying so much for the vdi but its just no good like this..

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
might be the plan, sucks after paying so much for the vdi but its just no good like this..
Exactly and when John had two of them it just wasn't worth it again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Go with msd. Absolutely no issues!

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
ditto that...not a single issue since I got the MSD from Hunterworks.

I really gotta get my clutch to John though.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
We have been using the MSD on the Teryx and Brute Force since inception cause the testing for it came from Hunterworks. We had it six months before it came out working out software issues etc.

I tried the MAP sensor thing and disabling the idle speed control valve and didn't see any gains and felt like it was modifying in a way that I was not comfortable with.

Sometimes when we fix one problem we make another.

Last V-Twin we tuned with AMR std bore kit, bigger injectors, MSD Muzzy and Dalton Clutch kit idled perfect with no adjustment at all. No dead spot, just flat hauled the mail!!

We use a different set of injectors that are slightly smaller than the ones mentioned. The need for the larger injectors is because while you can get the fuel out of the stock ones for a STB kit you will have the duty cycle maxed out and then the fuel will be erratic and they won't last long running that way either.

I also found out the right clutching played a big role in the dead spot and fuel right off idle when stabbing it. You really need it to ramp up very quickly because of the cams, it needs rpm fast.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts