Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my first Copperhead for the EFI back in July, that one ran good for about 500km, then gave me a crank position fault that would not let it start, reloaded firmware and maps as per Lyles suggestion, no go.....sent it to Lyle.
2cd one received in August, ran good for 400km then started loosing power bad, changed to premium plugs, reloaded firmware and maps as per Lyles suggestion, still no go.....sent it to Lyle.
3rd one received in October, ran great but lasted 2 running hours, then started to drain my battery when shut off. Reloaded firmware and maps, still drains battery.....sending to Lyle on Monday and asking for my money back.
Now I think I’ve given the Copperhead it’s fair try, but I believe that it is not stable enough to be reliable. **Each time it failed I put my stock ECU back in and NO problems. The gains and tunability are GREAT, with the copperhead, pin it off the start and it will flip, but if it is unreliable then it is worthless.

I must mention that Lyle is a very knowledgable guy who stands by his products and will go to any lengths to try and make the unit work for you. I am just more concerned about reliability in the products i buy, than wanting to be a beta tester.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Your not the only one having problems. There has been at least 3 post about these units not working. Some are on there 2nd and 3rd units also.
As much as I respect Lyle, some products are just not ready for the consumer.
I was a beta tester in 06-07 for Lyle on the carbed brutes and there was problems also. I warned Lyle about water issues even on the second gen. units but they were still shipped out. My unit lasted about a year and went out. I never replaced it because it was free. I've ran dynatek cdi every since and never had a bad one. Not even the programmable that is a first generation.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Thanks for the updates. Looking to get something immediately.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah my bud has ran the Dynatek in his 06-650i since new and it's never missed a beat. Have you heard any reviews on the new PC-5?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Yeah my bud has ran the Dynatek in his 06-650i since new and it's never missed a beat. Have you heard any reviews on the new PC-5?
No I haven't but do they make the Dynatek for the 08 Brute Force 750

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Have you tried the power commander and ignition module?

·
Registered
652 Posts
That sucks- not sure what's happening going on with yours...you've heard from me before and yes I have to give the VDI a 2 thumbs up review! Yeah I'm a beta tester and it took about 2 months to get it "out"...I have since ran close to 1800 miles on it without any issues - other than some minor software updates... Just put another 120 miles on today and this thing runs as strong as hell --it's never gets old for me! As stated in several other posts, Lyle is #1 out there for customer service...Hope whatevers happening to your copperheads gets figured out because the power from stock to VDI is night and day!:cool:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Dyna sent me an email saying one would be out in a couple months. I had no luck with the vdi and also got my money back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I see the VDI has two maps, one stock, and the performance map, can the Dynatek be switched back to stock as well without swapping out the unit? The reason I ask is sometimes my son rides my 650 and I don't want him flipping the thing over, he's very careful with it, but he doesn't need the extra power........yet.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see the VDI has two maps, one stock, and the performance map, can the Dynatek be switched back to stock as well without swapping out the unit? The reason I ask is sometimes my son rides my 650 and I don't want him flipping the thing over, he's very careful with it, but he doesn't need the extra power........yet.
No the dynatek cannot be switched, it must be removed to return to stock.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Got a VDI on its way. I hope I don't have any problems with it....

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
**There is going to be a major firmware and map upgrade available by the afternoon on Tues.Nov,17th .

Lyle has had a 09' 750 in the shop since last Sunday,and is working hard on the permenant fix for the issues ppl have been having. ie: cold starting, and FI light flashing erratically.He say's the brutes have been hard to finalize because not everyone is having issues. I think he needs to get the voltage regulator,startup correction and accelerator clamp fine tuned, then maybe we'll have a stable unit:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
No the dynatek cannot be switched, it must be removed to return to stock.
The programmable non EFI Dynatek has 4 maps you can carry and yes you can go back to the 28 degree map (stock)with a flip of the switch and never remove the unit. If you have the non programmable unit then yes you would have to remove it and replace with a stock unit.

·
Registered
156 Posts
New Firmware

We have new firmware (as of November 20th) that address the rest of the issues guys are having with the BF750EFI units.

I appologize if you had issues with our unit on your machine. The BF750EFI has to be the "quirkiest" machine we've ever developed on.

If you've had issues with water with the EFI unit, there is a firmware upgrade that will fix that. The issue isn't our unit, it was caused from the coolant sensor getting cold when in water, and that would cause us to turn the "choke" on, and flood the engine. I have no idea what they were thinking when they put the thermostat in a remote housing, and then stuck the coolant sensor there????? When you dunk a hot bike into cold water, the thermotat is going closed, regardless of the block temperature. Should the water pump fail, there is a chance the you never get the high temp light, or fan, since hot water might not get up there.

The new firmware also address the flickering FI light. Kawasaki is aware that there electrical system has an issue as this is pulled right from their service manual: "Even when the DFI system is operating normally, the FI indicator light (LCD) [A] may light up under strong electrical interference. No repair needed. Turn the ignition switch OFF to stop the indicator light." We've addressed that in the latest firmware on our website as well.

I can honestly say any issues we had on the BF750 unit were not present in the Yamaha and Suzuki EFI units we made in the past. That being said, I'd chose the 750 for power delivery, second to none.

Lyle

·
Registered
156 Posts
I should also add if you are having issues with water an our GEN2 units on the carb'd machines, it's usually a corroded front and/or rear buss connector. Our unit required more current than the OEM unit, so under water the faulty buss connector can cause electrical issues.

We use the same GEN2 CDI on all of our products, and we have guys with carb'd brutes that ride the swamps in Florida with no issues.

Lyle

·
Registered
3 Posts
so what is the best efi mod out there for an efi 08 bf750i? i love the power it has now but i want more cloud some one in lighen me on this and what does a efi mod do how does it work or give me a website that i could read about them thank you :confused:

·
Registered
243 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
so what is the best efi mod out there for an efi 08 bf750i? i love the power it has now but i want more cloud some one in lighen me on this and what does a efi mod do how does it work or give me a website that i could read about them thank you :confused:
Basically it is a add on box that is the ignition and fuel controller and both are programmable. This engine loves some timing and Kawasaki takes a good bit out and the fuel side is to allow you to electronically jet any engine mods you might do.

The VDI is a ECU replacement while the forth coming MSD is a piggy back stye. All other units are piggy back which means they do not replace the the stock ECU just add to it.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
John got 2 kits in. One for my Brute and another for someone else's. Needless to say neither worked. One wouldn't let it start it would just back fire and the other would start but shut off right away. Not happy for sure. But getting 2 of them and neither worked.

·
Registered
156 Posts
John got 2 kits in. One for my Brute and another for someone else's. Needless to say neither worked. One wouldn't let it start it would just back fire and the other would start but shut off right away. Not happy for sure. But getting 2 of them and neither worked.
All new units are shipped with the new firmware which would fix those issues.

Lyle

1 - 20 of 35 Posts