Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The vent tube under the main skid plate is slowly leaking oil. It's near the drain plug, but it looks like it attaches to the transmission side of the case. It's not dripping much, maybe 1 drop in 12hrs but it's annoying. The old skid that was on the quad when i got it was bent bad and full of dirt so. The oil just stayed there and i didn't notice it when i bought it.

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
That's the "weep" hole between the water pump seals. Oil leaking out of it means that the water pump shaft seal is bad. A coolant leak there means that the mechanical seal is bad.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So to fix said seal I'm going to have to pull the motor aren't I?

That's the "weep" hole between the water pump seals. Oil leaking out of it means that the water pump shaft seal is bad. A coolant leak there means that the mechanical seal is bad.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You can do it in frame. I've only done it once, but it's not too bad. You should get a service manual though. There are free .pdf copies available. Someone on this forum might have a copy that they'll share.

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
It's not a big job, just a little tricky to get it back together without damaging the mechanical seal.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
I tried to do mine with the cover still on but I rushed it and gouged the case so I had to buy a used cover of ebay and a new seal kit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
jg650
Kawasaki ATV Forum
KawieRiders.com is the largest Kawasaki ATV owner's forum with information for the Kawasaki KFX700, Brute Force, Prairie, Bayou, Mojave, Lakota and older model Kawasaki ATV's!
Full Forum Listing